Hawaii Cruise Weather

dwittwer

I’m looking at booking on the Star Princess out of LA February 2020.  Wondering if anyone has done this sailing?  Thoughts on the ship and specifically the weather.  My wife and I have cruised numerous times on Carnival, Holland and MSC.  This will be our first Princess cruise.  Again i’m Really trying to find information on the weather to and from the islands......we know the weather in Hawaii will be temperate.  Thanks all for you help. 

1 minute ago, dwittwer said:

I’m looking at booking on the Star Princess out of LA February 2020.  Wondering if anyone has done this sailing?  Thoughts on the ship and specifically the weather.  My wife and I have cruised numerous times on Carnival, Holland and MSC.  This will be our first Princess cruise.  Again i’m Really trying to find information on the weather to and from the islands......we know the weather in Hawaii will be temperate.  Thanks all for you help. 

Nice ship, 2600 passengers. Crossing to Hawaii, normally cool and can be choppy the first few days Weather starts to get warm on the 3rd day. On the return you are a little further south heading to Ensenada. It's a little warmer. The overnight from Ensenada to L.A. can be choppy along the coast. You never know what you will get. You have to enjoy sea days, 9 of them, to best enjoy a cruise to Hawaii. The days at sea are not like days at sea in the Caribbean if that is what you think of as a comparison. 

3 minutes ago, skynight said:

Nice ship, 2600 passengers. Crossing to Hawaii, normally cool and can be choppy the first few days Weather starts to get warm on the 3rd day. On the return you are a little further south heading to Ensenada. It's a little warmer. The overnight from Ensenada to L.A. can be choppy along the coast. You never know what you will get. You have to enjoy sea days, 9 of them, to best enjoy a cruise to Hawaii. The days at sea are not like days at sea in the Caribbean if that is what you think of as a comparison. 

What do you mean they’re not like caribbean sea days?  Weather, seas or both?  We enjoy sea days in the Caribbean laying on the deck and soaking up the sun.  

The Pacific Ocean is not the Caribbean. I always think it is a bit rougher.

Strangely enough though, on our Panama Canal cruise, the Pacific part was smooth as glass and the moment we got through the canal and into the Caribbean we started rocking and rolling!!

I guess that shows that you cannot predict the weather or the motion of the ship ahead of time!

54 minutes ago, dwittwer said:

What do you mean they’re not like caribbean sea days?  Weather, seas or both?  We enjoy sea days in the Caribbean laying on the deck and soaking up the sun.  

The seas in the Caribbean are normally calm with tropical weather. Most of the Caribbean islands lie below the Tropic of Cancer, 23.5 degrees north, and cruises to that area are warm and tropical. Hawaii lies just below the the Tropic of Cancer between 20 and 22 degrees latitude. Until the ship nears Hawaii on day 4 weather is not tropical. Take a look at a map. There isn't a lot of laying around on the deck and soaking up the sun during the first few days. Those that do sit around usually have to have a cover up on. The Star Princess has an indoor pool and conservatory above it.

Edited by skynight

Notes on the Star Princess Hawaii cruises:

Elua, Tiki Dave and Leialoha, are scheduled to be on board the Star in 2020 as Hawaiian ambassadors. Dave provides ukulele instructions on sea days. Arrive 30 minutes early on the first day to obtain one of the limited ukuleles. There are probably about 60 to 70 of them. No experience necessary. Some people bring their own ukuleles. Some purchase one when they reach Hawaii. Leialoha provides hula instruction on sea days. It's very popular. At the end of the cruise there is a show with all the ukulele and hula participants. Leialoha also has Hawaiian craft sessions. Some fees involved for the supplies. They also entertain throughout the cruise. Dave and Leialoha do a fabulous job.

Other than the Hawaiian ambassadors, there will be lots of live music around the ship in various lounges. There are also shows and entertainers in both the theater and the Vista Lounge.

Princess also has Zumba every sea day, no charge. This is also very popular.

If you have any other questions regarding activities, just ask. If you ask questions about the quality of food you will receive all kinds of answers. 

1 minute ago, skynight said:

Elua, Tiki Dave and Leialoha, are scheduled to be on board the Star in 2020 as Hawaiian ambassadors. Dave provides ukulele instructions on sea days. Arrive 30 minutes early on the first day to obtain one of the limited ukuleles. There are probably about 60 to 70 of them. No experience necessary. Some people bring their own ukuleles. Some purchase one when they reach Hawaii. Leialoha provides hula instruction on sea days. It's very popular. At the end of the cruise there is a show with all the ukulele and hula participants. Leialoha also has Hawaiian craft sessions. Some fees involved for the supplies. They also entertain throughout the cruise. Dave and Leialoha do a fabulous job.

Other than the Hawaiian ambassadors, there will be lots of live music around the ship in various lounges. There are also shows and entertainers in both the theater and the Vista Lounge.

If you have any other questions regarding activities, just ask. If you ask questions about the quality of food you will receive all kinds of answers. 

Thank you for your insight.  We are looking at this as a way to see Hawaii for our 15 year anniversary since my wife won't fly that far.  We are used to Caribbean cruising but are not against something new, just want to get an idea of what to expect.  We're from Minnesota so whatever the weather is it will be warmer than home in February.  

Like I said, never been on a princess cruise but I've heard good things.  I know this is one of the older ships in the fleet but we're looking forward to it.  

We sailed the Emerald Princess last January so our weather was probably similar to what you'll experience. You've been given plenty of descriptions about the weather onboard but be aware that Hawaii might not be super hot. Most of the time, our weather was quite pleasant but not intense. If you choose to go to Volcanoes National Park from Hilo, be aware that it will be quite chilly. I am now the proud owner of a park sweatshirt. I cannot say enough wonderful things about Tiki Dave and Leialoha. We didn't participate in any of their classes but we thoroughly enjoyed Dave's lectures about the history and culture of the islands. On the final day his ukulele class and Leialoha's hula class performed for us. There was another lecturer who had been a park ranger at Volcanoes National Park and her lectures were great as well.

2 hours ago, skynight said:

anything / anybody "special" on the 5 sea days back, or just the normal at sea trivia, bingo, etc ?

do the ambassadors stay on the ship and continue lessons, etc., or do they get off , then fly back to CA for the next cruise after a few days?

21 minutes ago, voljeep said:

anything / anybody "special" on the 5 sea days back, or just the normal at sea trivia, bingo, etc ?

do the ambassadors stay on the ship and continue lessons, etc., or do they get off , then fly back to CA for the next cruise after a few days?

On the way back the lectures change. The focus on Hawaii ports and culture are no longer. Yes, more trivia, bingo, etc. Yes ambassadors stay on board. The ukulele, hula, crafts and entertainment continue. The passenger show is the last day. This year Tiki Dave also performed a non-Hawaii show backed by the Princess orchestra. He is a very accomplished musician and singer.

• Thanks 1

We will be sailing on the Emerald Princess

April 2020 to Hawaii. Do they have a luau on board during any of the port stops? I thought I had read something about it happing while docked in Hilo. We are super excited! Thanks and cheers, Jan

24 minutes ago, Grammy J said:

April 2020 to Hawaii. Do they have a luau on board during any of the port stops? I thought I had read something about it happing while docked in Hilo. We are super excited! Thanks and cheers, Jan

There are some Hawaiian inspired food options in the dining room however there’s no onboard luau.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/hawaii-cruises/things-to-do/

During the late evening in Honolulu there is a wonderful hula performance in the Princess Theater.  It’s performed twice before the 11:00 PM sailaway by keiki (children) accompanied by adult musicians & singers.

• The Halau Hula Olana Folkloric Show — a Princess guest favorite

1 hour ago, Grammy J said:

While in Honolulu, late night, a luau offered as one of the ship's tours. At other ports the ship departs too early to attend a luau. No on board luau. 

14 hours ago, dwittwer said:

I know this is one of the older ships in the fleet but we're looking forward to it.  

We have been on over 20 Princess cruises and our most recent cruise was on the Star this past May to Alaska.    The Star certainly is an older ship but we thought it was in excellent shape for its age and we had a wonderful cruise.    We are also booked on the Star for the 15 day Holiday Hawaii cruise this December.    You’ll thoroughly enjoy Princess and the Star.   

On 6/28/2019 at 5:17 AM, dwittwer said:

Have taken this cruise twice and both times the first 2 days going and the last 2 days coming back very chilly and WINDY, they had to close the upper decks. No more Hawaii for us.