Harmony O.T.S. going into MAJOR "Rebuild"?

I was notified that my cruise for Apr 2021 - on the Harmony was cancelled.  Royal was very accommodating offering same price as booked for the Symphony - plus $200.00 on board credit.  As is it this far out - they could have just cancelled it.

Please with the end result

We are booked on an Eastern Caribbean Harmony cruise for March 28, 2021. When we booked onboard in February, there were no April dates available for booking on the Next Cruise desk's computers. We normally book the last week in April that far out, and we only chose the March sailing because nothing else was showing.

Edited by orville99

16 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

………….

You would have thought that the geniuses at Royal would have figured this out by now and only release her sailings until the end of March since many of us predicted that this would happen long ago. 

Now That's exactly what I was saying.

56 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

…………………..

I don't think 20+ months out is any cause for concern on your end or any logical reason to say it does not build confidence.  ………...

There is being disappointed, which I can understand, but there is also realizing you aren't in any hardship due to this. 

If you knew anything about how  "Major Corporation LongTerm Planning" -- There are literally BILLIONS of dollars involved) you would realize that something like this was a total FAILURE in planning on RCI's part.

And, I never said anything about Hardship - we can rebook anything;  it is just disappointing.

54 minutes ago, Cthy651 said:

I was notified that my cruise for Apr 2021 - on the Harmony was cancelled.  Royal was very accommodating offering same price as booked for the Symphony - plus $200.00 on board credit.  As is it this far out - they could have just cancelled it.

Please with the end result

Our additional problem was that we were booked with another couple in a Two-Bedroom Grand Suite.  When I got the list of 11 different offered replacement cruises (Oasis, Symphony, and Allure), I went to each and every one of them, and there are NO Two-Bedroom GS available on any of them.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Oh no...not again!!  😮  You sure have your bad luck on cancellations.  😞 

My friends/neighbors were some of the pax that had their TA cancelled last minute to Europe this last spring on Oasis.  

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Ouch...  and that was Star Class. 

No, ours didn't get cancelled. The original TA was in April I think. The 7 day Caribbeans got cancelled.  Just like Harmony 

Did you see that Carnival is bringing a floating dry dock to the Bahamas so the Vista can get her azipods fixed?  

I did see that just earlier today and was heading here to post.  The equipment they are using is NOT a traditional 'floating dock' but rather a submersible 'heavy lift' transport.

Dutch marine engineering company Royal Boskalis Westminster says it has been awarded a contract by Carnival Cruise Line to dry dock the Carnival Vista cruise ship aboard the world’s largest semi-submersible vessel BOKA Vanguard.

If you watch the video this is exactly how a floating dry dock operates, as the one in Freeport that had the booboo. The difference is only that this has a hull making it mobile with the 'load' where as traditional floating docks were built to be moved empty.  Floating docks were a WWII 'weapon' which enabled the 'dry dock' to follow the front lines of the Pacific theater and provide dd facilities near the front rather than always requiring a trip back to Hawaii or the west coast for battle damaged ships.

I saw mention of the on gCaptain.com which also adds:

Boskalis says the decision to use the BOKA Vanguard as a drydock platform comes as no other such equipment is currently available in the region. 

Freeport, located just 90 nautical miles from Miami, is home to Grand Bahama Shipyard, one of the premiere repair yards for South Florida-based cruise ships. One the yard’s three dry docks was damaged earlier this year in an accident that took place during repairs of the Oasis of the Seas cruise ship. We reached out to GBS for an update on the status of the dry dock involved but so far have not heard back.

p.s. VANGARD - then owned by a different company - was initially contracted to move COSTA CONCORDIA after it was raised . . .   

Heavy lift company Dockwise, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Netherlands-based Royal Boskalis Westminster, said Thursday it has been awarded a contract from Costa Crociere to load and transport the Costa Concordia wreckage from Isola del Giglio onboard the companies new Type-O vessel, Dockwise Vanguard.

Dockwise Vanguard heavy lift Dockwise Vanguard. Rendering courtesy Dockwise

With 117,000 metric ton lifting capacity, the Dockwise Vanguard is the world’s largest semi-submersible ship uniquely positioned to lift and transport massive cargoes in a dry and safe manner. The ship was initially designed to transport offshore oil and gas structures, but can also carry other vessels or even act as an offshore dry dock facility.

What is a floating drydock?
A floating drydock is a U-shaped marine vessel used to repair and build ships. Operators let water into the drydock through valves to submerge it, which allows other vessels to drive in and out of the drydock. When the water is pumped out the drydock rises, lifting docked vessels out of the water. This allows workers to service and repair parts of the vessel usually under the waterline.

PORTLAND, ORE. August 21, 2014

The country’s largest floating drydock, the Vigorous, is headed for Portland this weekend.

The drydock, a piece of equipment used to lift vessels as large as cruise ships out of the water, is scheduled to arrive at the mouth of the Columbia Sunday.

Fully assembled, the drydock will be 960-feet long. However, it is currently in three parts, which are stacked aboard a 738-foot heavy lift ship for delivery.

Vigor is investing more than $50 million to build and deliver the Vigorous. The drydock will allow Vigor to service vessels such as cruise ships, 

Edited by Capt_BJ

13 hours ago, orville99 said:

We are booked on an Eastern Caribbean Harmony cruise for March 28, 2021. When we booked onboard in February, there were no April dates available for booking on the Next Cruise desk's computers. We normally book the last week in April that far out, and we only chose the March sailing because nothing else was showing.

Very odd as they were all available to book on the website just days prior Royal cancelling them.

On July 3, 2019 at 12:17 AM, John&LaLa said:

Allure cancelled March. We leave for Europe on March 1 🥶🥶

John - The next Oasis Class ship (Melody may be) is also due to be delivered in spring of 2021. Wonder if she will fill in for Harmony at PC? I doubt RCI will let CCL and NCL corner the market at PC for the rest of spring and summer of 2021.

2 hours ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

John - The next Oasis Class ship (Melody may be) is also due to be delivered in spring of 2021. Wonder if she will fill in for Harmony at PC? I doubt RCI will let CCL and NCL corner the market at PC for the rest of spring and summer of 2021.

Always a possibility, but Royal tends to keep new ships in the Med for their first season. I see Oasis and CATS coming back for the summer. 😉

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Always a possibility, but Royal tends to keep new ships in the Med for their first season. I see Oasis and CATS coming back for the summer. 😉

Since Mariner, PC hasn't had a new RCI ship. So maybe you get Melody and CATS but I don't think Bob and few others would like to CATs part :classic_biggrin:

On 7/2/2019 at 1:53 PM, DHADEN said:

Has anyone else heard about Harmony going into a major (3-weeks) dry-dock?   Our April 18th of 2021 cruise was canceled plus all the others in April of 2021, for this. 

I can't imagine why, all of a sudden, they would cancel cruises for this with it being almost 2 years out.

It’s what happened to us on the Allure for April 2020....we are now booked on Harmony 

Since Mariner, PC hasn't had a new RCI ship. So maybe you get Melody and CATS but I don't think Bob and few others would like to CATs part :classic_biggrin:

I'm holding out for Icon or Odyssey as a new ship in PC.😁

• Like 1

It's been 17 years since PC had a new ship, it's about time. 🙂

• Like 3

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I would love ANY additional RCI ship in PC.  We have that nice brand new terminal and only 2 ships that are based there.  😞   Perfect world...bring in a 9/11 day option.  Had really gotten my hopes up when we had EX for one season doing 9 nights.  It sailed full each time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

That's for sure.  Was hopefully when they built the new terminal...but still just two ships.  😞 

Having LNG available for Mardi Gras and a Disney ship or two may be a big plus for Icon.

Why send the fuel 10 hours further south

Edited by John&LaLa

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

13 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

It's been 17 years since PC had a new ship, it's about time. 🙂

That would be cool to have either one of those ships at PC. And yes, 17 years is a long time especially after all the improvements and infrastructure added to PC. 

3 hours ago, island lady said:

I would love ANY additional RCI ship in PC.  We have that nice brand new terminal and only 2 ships that are based there.  😞   Perfect world...bring in a 9/11 day option.  Had really gotten my hopes up when we had EX for one season doing 9 nights.  It sailed full each time.  

It would be great if Odyssey did a similar 9/11 day from PC. I have yet to try a Quantum Class and hoping Odyssey would change that. :classic_smile: