A few Breakaway class questions??

danak13

Going on the Breakaway the week after Thanksgiving: 

1.) A little worried about the crowds-anyone who has cruised this time, did you find it a bit less crowded since it was right after a holiday?

2.) To avoid crowds and because I think we would love it, I am interested in hopefully spending a good amount of time around the waterfront area.  Does this area get crowded? Are bars open close by? 

3.) Are the balconies REALLY as tiny as I hear everyone complain about?  

Thank you!! 

1. Crowds are in some places but can also be avoided. People tend to clump in certain areas. 

2. Waterfront is usually without crowds. There are bars in different sections. I suggest getting a drink and walking to a more deserted area such as near a restaurant that isn't open during the day. 

3. Yes. There are larger and even huge balconies but the standard balconies are small. An angled balcony is the same price as a standard balcony but is about 50% larger. If you don't want to pay more for a larger balcony, the angled balconies are the best choice. 

1 hour ago, danak13 said:

1.) A little worried about the crowds-anyone who has cruised this time, did you find it a bit less crowded since it was right after a holiday?

2.) To avoid crowds and because I think we would love it, I am interested in hopefully spending a good amount of time around the waterfront area.  Does this area get crowded? Are bars open close by? 

Thank you!! 

The ships sail full most of the time, so time of year is not a big factor. The time of year and itinerary will influence the number of kids onboard. 

The “crowd” on the waterfront comes and goes. You can always find a table (restaurant tables during the day) and will get a sofa to yourself on a few minutes. 

Breakaway balconies are tiny. For us, any balcony is good enough to sit out, read, have a cup of coffee. We don’t need a 100 sq ft deck (which we have had on some ships). 

9 hours ago, danak13 said:

I think the big factor is if schools are in session.  NCL doesn't publish a maximum passenger capacity for Breakaway, but it has been reported at between 4800 and 5200.  That means when completely full about 1,000 passengers (roughly 20%)  are third and fourth persons in their respective cabins.  Though not all of these are kids, a big chunk of them are.  I have nothing against kids, but I'm not a fan of crowds!  Having a few hundred less people on the ship is noticeable and makes for a more enjoyable cruise.

10 hours ago, danak13 said:

The waterfront is wonderful, and there are lots of options for bars.  Even if the bars on the waterfront itself are closed there will almost always be something open within a short walk.  Some choice seating might be unavailable during peak times, but finding a spot to sit has never been a problem for me.

10 hours ago, danak13 said:

Yes.  As Two Wheels mentioned angled balconies are a good option.  If a balcony is important to you, you may want to look into aft balcony options as well.

21 hours ago, danak13 said:

Thank you!! 

1.  We sailed Breakaway the week after Thanksgiving last year.  It was definitely less crowded and a much older crowd.  That said, it was an 11 day Western out of NOLA.  It may not be comparable to a 7 day out of MIA.

2 and 3.  The other responses pretty much cover it.  A "standard" balcony is 32 sq. ft.