Puzzled re pricing on-line vs new mailed booklet

GeorgesGal

Received a mailing from O a few days ago titled Nw Lower Fares up to 40% Savings plus Exclusive 10% Savings for Oceania Club Members.  (long title, I know, but best way to identify the brochure)

For Sirena 14 day, March 18, 2020, B2 pricing is $4269 with OLife Choice.  Since we don't need air, I did a dummy booking to see what the air credit would be ($400 pp).  Continuing with the booking B2, no air, and the bottom line was $4249.  (My Oceania Club number was noted on the booking, so I assumed my bottom-line price would be $3869.)  This cruise is also entitled to $800 obc.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Can't phone O today since they are closed weekends - good for them - so will have to wait till tomorrow to sort this out.  Will let you know tomorrow how it works out.

Donna

2 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Received a mailing from O a few days ago titled Nw Lower Fares up to 40% Savings plus Exclusive 10% Savings for Oceania Club Members.  (long title, I know, but best way to identify the brochure)

For Sirena 14 day, March 18, 2020, B2 pricing is $4269 with OLife Choice.  Since we don't need air, I did a dummy booking to see what the air credit would be ($400 pp).  Continuing with the booking B2, no air, and the bottom line was $4249.  (My Oceania Club number was noted on the booking, so I assumed my bottom-line price would be $3869.)  This cruise is also entitled to $800 obc.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Can't phone O today since they are closed weekends - good for them - so will have to wait till tomorrow to sort this out.  Will let you know tomorrow how it works out.

Donna

Firstly, Oceania reservations are open on the weekends, albeit with different schedule than weekdays.

As for the "deal" (UP TO 40% off + 10% for O Club) read the fine print: It is only for a select number of cruises - mostly the ones that had Cuba in the mix. 

How do I know this? When I saw that deal (on the O website), I did mock bookings (all the way to the "cart") on 6 future cruises for which I had already done "book onboard" deposits (Never hurts to recheck prices-particularly with O's book onboard "lower price" match policy [itself subject to restrictions]).

Every one of my future cruises' (no Caribbean/Cuba/et al. cruises that often have space available) original onboard booking prices was lower than what was now showing in the "O Life w/o air" online quotes. And, yes, I checked to make sure that, at least, several of the most recent bookings also showed the same "retail" (pre-discount) O Life prices now as when I booked them.

So, bottom line: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't." AND, of course: "Always read the fine print."

At the same time, however, (as you have rightfully done with your original question), remember the mantra taught to us Brooklyn-born kids from birth:

NEVER PAY RETAIL!

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Firstly, Oceania reservations are open on the weekends, albeit with different schedule than weekdays.

I didn't phone until last evening; they close at three on Saturday and don't re-open until Monday a.m.

As for the "deal" (UP TO 40% off + 10% for O Club) read the fine print: It is only for a select number of cruises - mostly the ones that had Cuba in the mix. 

The cruise I was pricing was one of those noted in the four-page flyer that was sent, thus my puzzlement!

How do I know this? When I saw that deal (on the O website), I did mock bookings (all the way to the "cart") on 6 future cruises for which I had already done "book onboard" deposits (Never hurts to recheck prices-particularly with O's book onboard "lower price" match policy [itself subject to restrictions]).

Every one of my future cruises' (no Caribbean/Cuba/et al. cruises that often have space available) original onboard booking prices was lower than what was now showing in the "O Life w/o air" online quotes. And, yes, I checked to make sure that, at least, several of the most recent bookings also showed the same "retail" (pre-discount) O Life prices now as when I booked them.

So, bottom line: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't." AND, of course: "Always read the fine print."

Goes without saying! 

At the same time, however, (as you have rightfully done with your original question), remember the mantra taught to us Brooklyn-born kids from birth:

NEVER PAY RETAIL!

From one Brooklyn-born kid to another, I agree wholeheartedly!  

Thanks for your prompt response, Flatbush!  Actually, that is the area where I was born.

Got that mailer too.  Found a cruise that worked.Called my TA. his price was higher. He called Oceania and got the lower rate. We booked. Saved us money.  Oceania does offer promotions to past guests. It is nice to know that there is real value in being a repeat guest. Thank you, Zoe Ankara.

Just now, Redtravel said:

Got that mailer too.  Found a cruise that worked.Called my TA. his price was higher. He called Oceania and got the lower rate. We booked. Saved us money.  Oceania does offer promotions to past guests. It is nice to know that there is real value in being a repeat guest. Thank you, Zoe Ankara.

Thanks for your response Zoe Ankara!  I'll be phoning tomorrow morning with an eye toward booking this instead of a HAL in April.  I know it should be a no-brainer, but until I received this notification and did the math, O was still much higher.  And just think, I'll have $800 obc vs nothing from HAL!  And free wifi!  And free specialty restaurants.  And free drinks, thanks to the previously mentioned obc!  Doesn't get much better going on my favorite line!

Donna

I also got that mailer and saw the price online on O web site was the same on the mailer. I used an online TA and got the cruise only 10% rate for a C2 guarantee for $280 pp less than what O shows. We'll be on Sirena Jan. 25 and I started a roll call if anyone else books this sailing.

21 hours ago, susiesan said:

I also got that mailer and saw the price online on O web site was the same on the mailer. I used an online TA and got the cruise only 10% rate for a C2 guarantee for $280 pp less than what O shows. We'll be on Sirena Jan. 25 and I started a roll call if anyone else books this sailing.

Good for you, susiesan!  Enjoy your cruise.

To all, this morning I phoned O and booked.  Their numbers reflected the mailer's pricing, less $400 pp air, since we are only two hours away from MIA.  We ended up paying slightly more than $300 pp for the Sirena's 3-18-20 sailing, and got $900 obc (the additional $100 for being Bronze level), so in effect we are 'paying' $700 less for an O cruise than for the HAL cruise.  Now when I turn this over to my TA, let's see what they will kick in - perhaps gratuities, drinks pkg, rebate?  We'll see!

A good TA  (Connoisseur Club) will get you an even better deal with more OBC and/or a rebate check. Ask to join a group booking which will typically include gratuities. Occasionally we will book direct with O (we have a very nice rep there) and then transfer the booking to our TA. This sometimes gets us an even better fare.

Edited by Classiccruiser777

2 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Is that a typo, $300 pp for a 14 day cruise? Is that supposed to be $3000? $900 obc is refundable that is even better.

Whoops, left out a key word:  should have been $300 pp MORE... .  No the $900 is non-refundable, but you can be  sure we will leave the ship with a balance somewhere near zero!

6 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

I could find only one agent located in FL, a couple of hundred miles away.  Looking for one closer to home.  (Most of the ones I clicked on did not offer up any location for their offices!)

Donna

I use  a TA   4000 KM  away   in another Country

the Internet is  a wonderful thing 😉

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

I could find only one agent located in FL, a couple of hundred miles away.  Looking for one closer to home.  (Most of the ones I clicked on did not offer up any location for their offices!)

Donna

Why would the  location of the Agent be a concern?

Do you picture yourself stopping in for a quote some lazy Sunday afternoon?

2 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Why would the  location of the Agent be a concern?

Do you picture yourself stopping in for a quote some lazy Sunday afternoon?

You're too funny StanadJim!  But of course, I like to know my TA.  Perhaps if I smile nicely he'll give me double obc's!  I guess it's just a throwback to when I did have a local agent and knew her personally, but she's now retired and traveling even more.  (Her agency never was too generous, that's why I'm not with them any more once the other Donna retired!)

Donna

7 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I use  a TA   4000 KM  away   in another Country

the Internet is  a wonderful thing 😉

Holy crow!  How did you find one compatible that far away!!  I guess I shouldn't focus on location, huh?

Donna

Some of we old foggies actually like to meet the person we’re giving our credit card info to, validating and ensuring our passport information with , discussing extensive travel plans and being away from home with, etc! Other’s gladly buy shoes from a picture they’ve never tried on! Each to his own.

4 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

I like to know my TA.  Perhaps if I smile nicely he'll give me double obc's!  

I mean this in the nicest possible way , but the days when Agents dispensed goodies to their clients based on personal charm probably expired at at about the same time as your nubile charms lost the ability to inspire them.

Time is a cruel mistress.....

Mine is half a country away, yet we've met various times, on cruises and a port stop in her area. Many of us have met our Travel Agents over the years. Many of them do hosted cruises etc. 

I personally wouldn't let location be a factor. Communication is quite easy with email and phone. 

Keep in mind most of your big internet companies will have a few actual travel agents and a lot of customer service reps. Years ago I used to use one but got tired of having to deal with a different person every time I called. I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to things like that. I'm the same with insurance agents, when I have an issue I want the agent to know who I am without looking up my info. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

I mean this in the nicest possible way , but the days when Agents dispensed goodies to their clients based on personal charm probably expired at at about the same time as your nubile charms lost the ability to inspire them.

Time is a cruel mistress.....

Never did have much in the way of nubile charms,  but I haven't lost my brilliant smile!  That no one can take away, since it always comes from the heart!  When I smile, you know that I mean it; it's when I don't that .... .

Donna

16 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Some of we old foggies actually like to meet the person we’re giving our credit card info to, validating and ensuring our passport information with , discussing extensive travel plans and being away from home with, etc! Other’s gladly buy shoes from a picture they’ve never tried on! Each to his own.

You've succinctly stated how I feel, Pinot!  It's hard to break away sometimes.

D.

25 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Holy crow!  How did you find one compatible that far away!!  I guess I shouldn't focus on location, huh?

Donna

word of mouth plus I met her onboard  years ago