Boarding Pass

rugerdog

8 hours ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

There is no need for a copy of your eBoarding pass to complete the check-in process. It may be needed, however, to make other parts of the processing procedure at the pier go more quickly, such as gaining admission into the terminal building. For example, to gain access to the check-in area at Seattle, if you don't have a copy of your eBoarding pass, the security people downstairs will have to look up your name on the current ship's  passenger list to see if you are actually listed on the manifest. However, once you are upstairs at the check-in area there is no further need for the eBoarding pass. Procedures at other ports may vary, however.

Tom

It might not speed things up at the counter (not using a medallion) in Florida but the people at the entrance to the terminal will definitely have to take extra time to look closer at your phone/tablet. They check to see if you're getting on the right ship especially when there are more than one Princess ships in port that day. 

They told me that almost every cruise there are people trying to check in at the wrong terminal. 

Until the medallions are in full swing I'll still resort to printing mine as well as having a backup on the phone. 

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Do you mean that the cell phone boarding pass gets a PAX through boarding processing faster than using a printed hard copy boarding pass?  How can that be? :classic_huh:

Please go back and look at what I wrote. I made no mention of making a cell phone copy of the boarding pass anywhere. What I said was that you did not need a copy of the boarding pass " to complete the check-in process" and that having a copy of it  might " make other parts of the processing procedure at the pier go more quickly" and that once you are in the check-in area " there is no further need for the eBoarding pass."  That is still the case, there is no requirement that eBoarding pass be present at check-in itself and only the id documents (e.g. passport, passport card, birth certificate w/ government-issued photo id.) need be present.

Tom

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

It might not speed things up at the counter (not using a medallion) in Florida but the people at the entrance to the terminal will definitely have to take extra time to look closer at your phone/tablet. They check to see if you're getting on the right ship especially when there are more than one Princess ships in port that day. 

They told me that almost every cruise there are people trying to check in at the wrong terminal. 

Until the medallions are in full swing I'll still resort to printing mine as well as having a backup on the phone. 

That is correct, and if you read what you quoted me as saying, that is what I said. " There is no need for a copy of your eBoarding pass to complete the check-in process. It may be needed, however, to make other parts of the processing procedure at the pier go more quickly, such as gaining admission into the terminal building."

Tom

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

That is correct, and if you read what you quoted me as saying, that is what I said. " There is no need for a copy of your eBoarding pass to complete the check-in process. It may be needed, however, to make other parts of the processing procedure at the pier go more quickly, such as gaining admission into the terminal building."

Tom

Yes, and to the other person that questioned you.... it doesn't matter if the BP in hand is a paper copy or an electronic version on your phone.  It identifies to people at the door that you are in the right place, etc, and have a reservation to be sailing.  Those folks don't have computer access to look you up and perhaps are more concerned you are in the right place as someone mentioned above (e.g. Port Everglades).  This June, in Copenhagen, no one looked at our BP's prior to reaching the check-in agents.

1 hour ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Please go back and look at what I wrote. I made no mention of making a cell phone copy of the boarding pass anywhere. What I said was that you did not need a copy of the boarding pass " to complete the check-in process" and that having a copy of it  might " make other parts of the processing procedure at the pier go more quickly" and that once you are in the check-in area " there is no further need for the eBoarding pass."  That is still the case, there is no requirement that eBoarding pass be present at check-in itself and only the id documents (e.g. passport, passport card, birth certificate w/ government-issued photo id.) need be present.

Tom

Tom-

I did as you asked and read your post again.  I think there is some confusion about terms that is causing the responses you are getting.  In your original post, you only mention "eBoarding pass."  To me and others, an eBoarding pass is an electronic document that downloads onto your cell phone or tablet making the boarding process paperless. 

I have needed to show my Boarding Pass to the security person at the check-in desk in order to get into the preferred boarding lane at the check-in desk.  The boarding pass actually displays the words "ETicket Preferred Boarding Pass."  It looks like Princess is actually creating the confusion by calling the printed boarding passes an "ETicket."

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Tom-

I did as you asked and read your post again.  I think there is some confusion about terms that is causing the responses you are getting.  In your original post, you only mention "eBoarding pass."  To me and others, an eBoarding pass is an electronic document that downloads onto your cell phone or tablet making the boarding process paperless. 

I have needed to show my Boarding Pass to the security person at the check-in desk in order to get into the preferred boarding lane at the check-in desk.  The boarding pass actually displays the words "ETicket Preferred Boarding Pass."  It looks like Princess is actually creating the confusion by calling the printed boarding passes an "ETicket."

The cruise reservation/ticket is "e", but the boarding pass is only "e" on a smart device IMO.  As you indicate, a printed boarding pass is just that.  Same as flying.  The difference with Princess is that they do not have scannable BP's.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Tom-

I used the term eBoarding because that is what I thought was the name printed at the top of the last form I saw. I just looked at the one that is for my Sept. cruise and I see it says, as you correctly stated "eticket."  I stand corrected. Sorry 'bout that.  The point I was trying to make was that the boarding pass is not required for check-in.

Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

I used the term eBoarding because that is what I thought was the name printed at the top of the last form I saw. I just looked at the one that is for my Sept. cruise and I see it says, as you correctly stated "eticket."  I stand corrected. Sorry 'bout that.  The point I was trying to make was that the boarding pass is not required for check-in.

Tom

I don't have a smart phone so I don't download boarding passes onto my phone when flying.  It sounds to me that others posting on this board are saying Princess doesn't have boarding passes you would download onto a phone.  Certainly Princess created the confusion by calling printed boarding passes e-tickets.  I guess they are differentiating from boarding passes that would be sent to you via U.S. Mail.  :classic_smile:

47 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I don't have a smart phone so I don't download boarding passes onto my phone when flying.  It sounds to me that others posting on this board are saying Princess doesn't have boarding passes you would download onto a phone.  Certainly Princess created the confusion by calling printed boarding passes e-tickets.  I guess they are differentiating from boarding passes that would be sent to you via U.S. Mail.  :classic_smile:

You can load them to the phone.  They just don't have QR Codes for electronic scanning.  But certainly a legible PDF.

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2019 at 8:42 AM, Daniel A said:

Thank you.  I figured we still need to print and attach luggage tags.  KG2019 seemed to imply that with the medallion you don't need to print luggage tags anymore.  I was looking for a clarification from KG2019.  I didn't want somebody reading that post and relying on the medallion to somehow work on the checked luggage.

Our luggage was not with us.....it was collected directly from our hotel Fairmont Waterfront where we were staying earlier that morning.  That luggage that was collected needs the tags, how else would they know who to deliver it to on ship?  Carry on  that you have with you probably would not need a luggage tag.

• Thanks 1

Earlier in this thread, there was discussion about the need for a BP when arriving at the pier to board a ship.  I was one who mentioned using an electronic version of our BP's on my phone.  They were simply PDF's of the paper pass and I mentioned Princess did not have a truly electronic scannable BP like airlines have.

Well it never fails when you state something definitive about Princess that is changes.  This thread below is about a new app (finally) that combines all the OCEAN apps under one main umbrella.  I did not find this new app as yet in the Google Play Store (looks like Apple people get it first).  

However, I did go into OCEAN Ready to check on our upcoming Nov 6/19 cruise and lo and behold, there be an electronic BP in the app with a scannable QR Code.  Welcome to the 21st century, Princess. 

• Thanks 1