Boarding Pass

rugerdog

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

There will always be exceptions since not everyone has a smart phone.  You think the cruise line will tell you not to book with them because you don't use a smart phone?

I personally prefer to have a flip phone.  They're small and fit in my trouser pocket.  I've never lost one or broke one by sitting on it...  If Lyft and Uber only want to deal with smartphone people, then that's their loss.:classic_wacko:

I do get frustrated at the airport when a person ahead in line doesn't know how to find their barding pass and is holding the rest of us up...

Edited by Daniel A

1 hour ago, Lindaru said:

I personally also print and attach luggage tags to our carry-ons, just in case you get separated from them before you get to your state room.

I thought I was the only one doing that.  Now there's two of us.  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lindaru said:

I personally also print and attach luggage tags to our carry-ons, just in case you get separated from them before you get to your state room.

That happens!  Had a person get off a bus from the airport to the pier a couple of weeks ago. He and his wife got off the bus, walked into the terminal building and got all the way upstairs and were getting ready to go through the security scanners when I finally tracked them down and asked them what they'd like me to do with their two carry-on bags they had left sitting by the bus out in the bus lot!  Sure had a surprised look on their face when they realized what they'd done! (At least they had kept their passports on their bodies!!)

Tom

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We checked in to REGAL in June with BP's on our Smartphones.  If you have them, why not do it?  Similar to an airline BP, except Princess has not got the scanning aspect implemented.  IDK why not.  As others have said, you don't really need them, but I like to have it in case of any question for priority check-in.  I only print luggage tags for bags being dropped with porters.  I also tape one on a wine box if that is coming aboard with us.  I think the Amazon plastic covers work great.  Not a bad idea to have them on key bags being carried/rolled on board. 

18 hours ago, Lindaru said:

We also put an extra luggage tag either in the front pocket of suitcase or in the suitcase.  We use packing tape on the tag,  punch a hole, and attach them with electric cables.  We put them on in the hotel before going to the port.

4 minutes ago, FritzG said:

We also put an extra luggage tag either in the front pocket of suitcase or in the suitcase.  We use packing tape on the tag,  punch a hole, and attach them with electric cables.  We put them on in the hotel before going to the port.

I also print up cards that list my name, address, e-mail address, my cell phone and my sister's phone # and place them so they are visible if the luggage is opened.  This way if the tags get torn off, someone will still have a way of contacting me.  I used to use my business card, but since I retired, I now use post card size cards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I also print up cards that list my name, address, e-mail address, my cell phone and my sister's phone # and place them so they are visible if the luggage is opened.  This way if the tags get torn off, someone will still have a way of contacting me.  I used to use my business card, but since I retired, I now use post card size cards.

I do likewise with most items.

It's a good idea to also put that info on you laptop & tablets just in case you get separated from them. At least an honest person could locate you.

I also include my cabin number on them when cruising. 

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I do likewise with most items.

It's a good idea to also put that info on you laptop & tablets just in case you get separated from them. At least an honest person could locate you.

I also include my cabin number on them when cruising. 

I know it sounds paranoid, but I switch out the hard drive on my laptop when I'm travelling.  The travel hard drive has minimal files on it and the main drive stays home safe and sound protecting my more sensitive files.

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I know it sounds paranoid, but I switch out the hard drive on my laptop when I'm travelling.  The travel hard drive has minimal files on it and the main drive stays home safe and sound protecting my more sensitive files.

Sounds smart not paranoid. No one steals computers for the hardware, it is all about the data. If the computer gets "lost" you won't care about the computer, you would care about the data. 

Think about it -- when one loses a smartphone is it all about the phone or all the data?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I basically use my tablet for keeping up with videos and pod-casts of people I follow.  Nothing sensitive or personal about me even stored on my tablet.  Pictures and video I take are on the camera.  The worst device for me to lose would be our flip-phone with telephone numbers and names.

On 7/24/2019 at 11:32 AM, cruzsnooze said:

I do neither. I show up with a passport and they look up my booking and that's it.  It adds one or two minutes to the boarding process which I don't find bothersome. 

Wonder if all two thousand people showed up without a boarding pass and it took another one to two minutes per person to process all 2,000 people. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

Wonder if all two thousand people showed up without a boarding pass and it took another one to two minutes per person to process all 2,000 people. 

We don't know that it takes any longer at all.  Princess agent has to look up the reservation by some means of input.  They don't have scannable boarding passes like the rest of the modern world.  Also, they have to see and verify the passport info to the system record.

I printed out our boarding passes and it seemed to be no problem at all showing it and getting through.

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

I guess they still make those??

Yes, they still make flip-phones.  Ours is five years old and works fine for talk and text which is all we need it to do.  I am a bit concerned, though, that once 5-G goes through everywhere that we will have to purchase a smart-phone.

10 hours ago, Lindaru said:

I basically use my tablet for keeping up with videos and pod-casts of people I follow.  Nothing sensitive or personal about me even stored on my tablet.  Pictures and video I take are on the camera.  The worst device for me to lose would be our flip-phone with telephone numbers and names.

Same with us although we do have smart phones since we found it is cheaper than the old dumb phones.

We keep NO sensitive data or passwords to important sites on our tablets or phones.  All our info for banking/securities are done in person.

They might be able to hack my cruise critic account and post under my handle. :classic_laugh: LOL

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lindaru said:

flip-phone

10 hours ago, steelers36 said:

I guess they still make those??

It's an amazing little device.  If you press the buttons with the numbers in a certain sequence - you can make a telephone call!!  :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2

On 8/1/2019 at 1:49 PM, Daniel A said:

do get frustrated at the airport when a person ahead in line doesn't know how to find their barding

In TSA Precheck line, had someone ahead of us who kept looking, looking, looking for her digital boarding pass ... and the TSA agent told her to step aside ... yeah for TSA!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

It's an amazing little device.  If you press the buttons with the numbers in a certain sequence - you can make a telephone call!!  :classic_biggrin:

I have even become adept at pressing the buttons to send a text message.  The interesting part is that you have to press the numbers a certain number of times to get the letters and punctuation.  I believe it truly is an art form.

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2019 at 10:12 AM, cruzsnooze said:

There will always be exceptions since not everyone has a smart phone.  You think the cruise line will tell you not to book with them because you don't use a smart phone?

I wasn't meaning to  suggesting that cruise lines will be ONLY paperless, just that I expect they will likely be able to accept the boarding pass to be shown on a mobile device.  I should have worded it more clearly.

Yesterday I returned from my cruise. 

I did print out the documents, however, at each check point, I simply showed the picture of my boarding pass on my phone.  I asked each time if the digital boarding pass was enough, and each time was told "yes".  Once at the actual check in counter, I showed the agent the picture on the phone and she proceeded without issue.

On 8/1/2019 at 11:49 AM, Daniel A said:

I personally prefer to have a flip phone.  They're small and fit in my trouser pocket.  I've never lost one or broke one by sitting on it...  If Lyft and Uber only want to deal with smartphone people, then that's their loss.:classic_wacko:

I do get frustrated at the airport when a person ahead in line doesn't know how to find their barding pass and is holding the rest of us up...

Wow.  😱  You are really “old school” re:  flip phone.  :classic_biggrin:

Good luck.  Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

On 8/2/2019 at 7:47 PM, Lido deck main said:

There is no need for a copy of your eBoarding pass to complete the check-in process. It may be needed, however, to make other parts of the processing procedure at the pier go more quickly, such as gaining admission into the terminal building. For example, to gain access to the check-in area at Seattle, if you don't have a copy of your eBoarding pass, the security people downstairs will have to look up your name on the current ship's  passenger list to see if you are actually listed on the manifest. However, once you are upstairs at the check-in area there is no further need for the eBoarding pass. Procedures at other ports may vary, however.

Tom

Slightly off topic but I was recently on an Alaska cruisetour and we were checked-in for the ship on the train journey from Denali to Whittier.  The train host made an announcement saying that we would all need our Boarding Passes to check in and then when the agent boarded to carry out check-in, promptly said we would not need to show our Boarding Passes....

The agent had a small laptop with her and a machine to scan our passports.  It only took a couple of minutes and she even knew what loyalty status we were on.

8 hours ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

There is no need for a copy of your eBoarding pass to complete the check-in process. It may be needed, however, to make other parts of the processing procedure at the pier go more quickly, such as gaining admission into the terminal building. For example, to gain access to the check-in area at Seattle, if you don't have a copy of your eBoarding pass, the security people downstairs will have to look up your name on the current ship's  passenger list to see if you are actually listed on the manifest. However, once you are upstairs at the check-in area there is no further need for the eBoarding pass. Procedures at other ports may vary, however.

Tom

Do you mean that the cell phone boarding pass gets a PAX through boarding processing faster than using a printed hard copy boarding pass?  How can that be? :classic_huh:

Edited by Daniel A