Boarding Pass

rugerdog

Okay, thanks for the input.  I have always printed a boarded pass in the past, but my printer seems to not be working, and I was hoping by now the cruise lines had mobile check in like airlines do.  

I appreciate the responses.

16 hours ago, rugerdog said:

Do I have to print out the boarding pass, or can I show the boarding pass on my phone?  My upcoming cruise is not Medallion equipped.

Thank you.

It may make your processing a bit quicker but I wouldn't worry if you are unable to print it out for some reason. At some ports, the boarding pass is looked at to prove to the person that is checking your documentation prior to letting you into the terminal building that you are actually on the cruise leaving that day. If you don't have a boarding pass, then they have to go through a copy of the ship's manifest to find your name. So, in that case not having a boarding pass may cause a slight delay but other than that, it is not a serious problem at all as the boarding pass is not required for you to get checked in. The only thing that is required there is your travel documentation (e.g. passport, or other appropriate document(s).) At least that is the case at the pier in Seattle.

Tom

18 hours ago, rugerdog said:

Do I have to print out the boarding pass, or can I show the boarding pass on my phone?  My upcoming cruise is not Medallion equipped.

Thank you.

I do neither. I show up with a passport and they look up my booking and that's it.  It adds one or two minutes to the boarding process which I don't find bothersome. 

Edited by cruzsnooze

I have not printed a boarding pass in a few years. Just use the one on my phone. It has never been an issue, never been challenged. Doubt we are the only ones that do this as many people have moved forward with technology and don't print stuff anymore.

People pay a ton of money for a smartphone -- it only makes sense to use it for the capability provided.

Neverbeenhere  -- surprised it slowed things down when you used the electronic version -- has never slowed things down for us. If one has the boarding pass ready on the phone before getting to the counter it goes pretty fast. If one is fumbling around looking for it -- not so quick -- just like paper that isn't in your hand. 

I'm curious from the people that say they don't print out their boarding pass, don't you have to print your luggage tags? I'm just a little confused about the luggage tags. How do they last if they are just printed on paper? Don't they rip off?

31 minutes ago, wdwfan22 said:

I'm curious from the people that say they don't print out their boarding pass, don't you have to print your luggage tags? I'm just a little confused about the luggage tags. How do they last if they are just printed on paper? Don't they rip off?

Two ways to do it...

1) follow the directions on the tag (fold, bend, fold, attach) some wrap tape around the completed tag or

2 puchase luggage tag holders - we use these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UR2M3JM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are also tag holders available in the CC store. I have those too, but the attachment isn't as sturdy as a metal cable.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wdwfan22 said:

I am sure they don't do that either.   🙄

Luggage tags when printed out and folded properly are very strong when stapled or taped with shipping tape to the bag.

We cut up a plastic page protector and use that as well on the tag which makes it even stronger.

1 hour ago, wdwfan22 said:

We always fly to the port early and stay at a hotel. Before we leave the hotel for the ship we attach 2 tags to each suitcase and tape the ends. Never had an issue even in the rain. But, if you are flying directly the day of the cruise suggest you purchase plastic luggage tag holders.

You can go to Walgreens and buy a travel toothpaste package (has a small tube of toothpaste, a toothbrush and a cover for it) which is in a plastic case the right size for the luggage tag.  Punch a hole in it and attach it with a cable lock or "tagger" tie.

Or

Wrap it in packing tape, punch a hole in it and attach it.  

I don't put ours on either until we are leaving the hotel for port.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wdwfan22 said:

13 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I am sure they don't do that either.   🙄

Well -- you are wrong. Yes I do print luggage tags -- it is very easy to print tags and not boarding pass. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks to everyone for your responses, suggestions and experiences.

I am going to TRY to just use a boarding pass from my mobile phone.  I'll come back and report as to how it worked, however, this whole issue is soon to be a non-issue, since I assume all ships (and eventually all cruse lines) will become paperless soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I use the CC luggage tag holders from the CC store.  I didn't always, but I ran into a problem when flying to a port for embarkation.  I couldn't attach the tags at home before my flight so I needed to pack a stapler with me to attach the tags to my luggage.  Now I just fold the tags and slide them into the tag holders.  So far, the CC tags have held up on 5 cruises.  Easy peasy!  :classic_tongue:

The ones on Amazon look fine too.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1

I had boarding passes, luggage tags and a all necessary paperwork printed, plus I had the boarding passes on phone.  They never even asked for any of it.  Just scanned the medallion and we were good to go.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:15 PM, KG2019 said:

I had boarding passes, luggage tags and a all necessary paperwork printed, plus I had the boarding passes on phone.  They never even asked for any of it.  Just scanned the medallion and we were good to go.

Did the medallion replace the luggage tags or did you still need to print and attach them?

29 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Did the medallion replace the luggage tags or did you still need to print and attach them?

29 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Print and attach luggage tags still

On 7/29/2019 at 7:33 AM, Daniel A said:

Yes , voljeep is correct ...….we still had to attach the luggage tags

1 hour ago, KG2019 said:

Yes , voljeep is correct ...….we still had to attach the luggage tags

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:15 PM, KG2019 said:

Thank you.  I figured we still need to print and attach luggage tags.  KG2019 seemed to imply that with the medallion you don't need to print luggage tags anymore.  I was looking for a clarification from KG2019.  I didn't want somebody reading that post and relying on the medallion to somehow work on the checked luggage.

On 7/25/2019 at 2:01 PM, rugerdog said:

., this whole issue is soon to be a non-issue, since I assume all ships (and eventually all cruse lines) will become paperless soon.

There will always be exceptions since not everyone has a smart phone.  You think the cruise line will tell you not to book with them because you don't use a smart phone?

Edited by cruzsnooze