What is the best way to get from Seattle hotel to Pier 91?

Derek King

Hello,

Me and my family (4 total)  are looking for the best way to get from Hyatt place downtown to pier 91 the morning on the cruise.

I was planning on Uber XL but i have read a few place that rideshares cannot drop you right at the pier.  Anybody with experience know the story on this?

If not what are some other good options?  I got a price from a local company and it would be $65 for the trip in an SUV, seems like way too high for this trip since the uberxl estimate is under $20.

Thanks.

We were there two weeks ago. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency downtown and there were four adults and too much luggage. We asked the concierge to get us a minivan taxi and he found us one that was there in about 15 minutes. I think the fare was around $40. 

We did use Uber XL to take us to the Space Needle and then another one to take us to Seatac post cruise.  We used Port Valet and had no luggage on the return trip. If they drop you off the same place they pick you up, and I think they do, it is at least 1/4 mile and maybe a little more. 

One other thing, the Uber XLs that we used after the trip wouldn’t have been able to accommodate our luggage, if we’d had it with us. 

You are correct that app share rides cannot drop you right at the pier.

Two weeks ago four (with luggage) of us took an Uber Black from a downtown area hotel to Pier 91.  The fare was $31 + tip. 

Looking at the attached map, the driver dropped us off at the top circle area.  We walked dragging bags about 1200 feet to the bottom cicled area where porters took our bags, then 300+ more feet to the terminal building.

I think the port does this to relieve traffic into the main terminal area, because there was a lot of taxis, shuttles, buses and limos in the main terminal area with limited and narrow access.

image.thumb.png.1a6bf49999208d088384988671cd3bce.png

13 hours ago, bluedevil72 said:

We were there two weeks ago. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency downtown and there were four adults and too much luggage. We asked the concierge to get us a minivan taxi and he found us one that was there in about 15 minutes. I think the fare was around $40. 

Wow, I did not think the trip would be long enough to run up a $40 taxi fare - was it extra due to the mini-van?

We are staying at Hyatt Renency in Sept (how was it by the way?) and was thinking of just grabbing a taxi, so I wanted to be prepared.

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Wow, I did not think the trip would be long enough to run up a $40 taxi fare - was it extra due to the mini-van?

We are staying at Hyatt Renency in Sept (how was it by the way?) and was thinking of just grabbing a taxi, so I wanted to be prepared.

An ordinary cab should be closer to $20 plus tip, max.

The hotel was good but we were only there long enough to sleep. We got there late Friday night, walked to a restaurant to have a very late dinner and then got up early the next morning to go eat at Pike Place Market and walk around the market a little. Check in was quick and the front desk staff was very congenial. The concierge suggested a place to eat dinner and then helped us with a minivan taxi the next morning. The hotel seemed very new and was pretty quiet. Our room was big and the bed was very comfortable. I don’t know if I’ve missed this in other hotels but there was a motion activated light at the bottom of the bed side table that came on in the middle of the night when I got up to go to the restroom.  And then, our cabin on the Ruby had one as well. 

13 hours ago, Oviedo32765 said:

You are correct that app share rides cannot drop you right at the pier.

Two weeks ago four (with luggage) of us took an Uber Black from a downtown area hotel to Pier 91.  The fare was $31 + tip. 

Looking at the attached map, the driver dropped us off at the top circle area.  We walked dragging bags about 1200 feet to the bottom cicled area where porters took our bags, then 300+ more feet to the terminal building.

I think the port does this to relieve traffic into the main terminal area, because there was a lot of taxis, shuttles, buses and limos in the main terminal area with limited and narrow access.

image.thumb.png.1a6bf49999208d088384988671cd3bce.png

This is NO WHERE near an accurate picture of the pier. You enter the building labeled "Marel Seattle" in the picture...the walk is maybe 50 feet, longer if you take a cruise line transfer. You board the ship to the rear of that building. The vehicle movement area in front of the Marel building looks nothing like what is depicted here.

We were there two weeks ago and that picture is exactly the way it looks. I just looked at google maps and the picture has two cruise ships in the picture by the Smith Cove Cruise Terminal. You walk out of that terminal directly onto the ship using the gangway. Where the yellow circle is, is actually two breezeways that we walked under both before and after the cruise. The other circle is where we walked to meet up with our Uber. They are all parked there in the angle parking spots. 

With all due respect,  the above picture, which is the current Google Maps picture, does not show cruise ships. It shows some other vessels, possibly commercial fishing vessels. We were on Amsterdam in June, it took up all of the western most dock.

The current road entry to the Terminal area enters in a southerly direction, turning easterly directly in front of the Terminal allowing one to be dropped off (but not picked up) immediately in front of the Terminal. To be picked up for Uber/Lyft, you must take a shuttle, or walk about .4 miles. Once a vehicle turns easterly, there are several options for types of transport, all aisles running a northerly direction...shuttles, towncars, taxis and buses. The above picture shows NO northerly aisles. It is NOT current or correct. We stood there for almost an hour waiting for the Terminal to open, watching all the activities. 

13 hours ago, bluedevil72 said:

The hotel was good but we were only there long enough to sleep. We got there late Friday night, walked to a restaurant to have a very late dinner and then got up early the next morning to go eat at Pike Place Market and walk around the market a little. Check in was quick and the front desk staff was very congenial. The concierge suggested a place to eat dinner and then helped us with a minivan taxi the next morning. The hotel seemed very new and was pretty quiet. Our room was big and the bed was very comfortable. I don’t know if I’ve missed this in other hotels but there was a motion activated light at the bottom of the bed side table that came on in the middle of the night when I got up to go to the restroom.  And then, our cabin on the Ruby had one as well. 

Thabks - sounds like a nice place to stay.  Like the idea of the nightlight and comfortable bed in a large room!  We are using Hyatt points for a decent deal (same amount as Hyatt House and Hyatt Place). 

We used Priceline to get a really good deal. I had originally booked a hotel close to the airport since we were arriving late. We then decided we wanted to be close to Pike Place Market and I started looking for other hotels but everything close to downtown was rediculously high, for me anyway. 

I ran across an Express Deal on Priceline that would be one of three Hyatt properties downtown for $159. I thought I misread it to begin with, but I did it and we ended up with Hyatt Regency. It ended up being $183 all in. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 7:34 PM, CruiserBruce said:

This is NO WHERE near an accurate picture of the pier. You enter the building labeled "Marel Seattle" in the picture...the walk is maybe 50 feet, longer if you take a cruise line transfer. You board the ship to the rear of that building. The vehicle movement area in front of the Marel building looks nothing like what is depicted here.

That is not correct. You enter the building labeled "Marel Seattle" and you are in a business that has nothing to do with the cruise industry. The building you go to for a cruise is at the far end of the pier at the building labeled "Smith Cove Cruise Terminal" and that is where to drop off your luggage, go through check-in and get on your ship. Your ship, if you are getting onto a Carnival, Celebrity, or Holland-America ship it will be on the west side (the left side as you're looking at the picture) and if you're getting onto a Princess or a Royal Caribbean ship it will be on the east side (the right side as you're looking at the picture.) The gangways to the ships are about where the words "Smith Cove Cruise Terminal" are located in that picture.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, cruises42 said:

Anyone have recent experience getting dropped off in front of the terminal using Uber?

I believe that you'll find that most, if not all, of the Uber/Lyft drivers will drop you off between parking lot B and the Marel Seattle building. There will be a shuttle bus who will pick you up there and take you right into the terminal building and let you off in Slots A or B on the bus side of the lot which is right in front of the terminal building.

Tom

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 8:14 PM, Pierlesscruisers said:

That is not correct. You enter the building labeled "Marel Seattle" and you are in a business that has nothing to do with the cruise industry. The building you go to for a cruise is at the far end of the pier at the building labeled "Smith Cove Cruise Terminal" and that is where to drop off your luggage, go through check-in and get on your ship. Your ship, if you are getting onto a Carnival, Celebrity, or Holland-America ship it will be on the west side (the left side as you're looking at the picture) and if you're getting onto a Princess or a Royal Caribbean ship it will be on the east side (the right side as you're looking at the picture.) The gangways to the ships are about where the words "Smith Cove Cruise Terminal" are located in that picture.

Tom

You're absolutely right.  You go right past the "Marel Seattle" building.  That area south of the Marel building is the dropoff area and the area where the porters will gather up your baggage.  Then you walk into the building to the South.  CruiserBruce is clearly disoriented.

On 8/25/2019 at 7:34 PM, cruises42 said:

Anyone have recent experience getting dropped off in front of the terminal using Uber?

You will not be allowed to do so.  I know that for a fact. I also believe, but am not positive of it that attempting to do so might get them banned from the pier. That is purely supposition, however. And I suspect that the Uber drivers have learned that by now.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers