EURODAM AFT FACING CABINS

We are looking at the aft facing cabins on the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam.  This will be a change for us since we usually stay close to elevators.  For those who have stayed in this area, did you find the distance to the elevators to be a significant inconvience?  

I’ve only had the pleasure of staying once in an aft cabin.  I loved it but hubby did not unfortunately.  I may have made a mistake as we tried it on a Pacific Coastal and it was rough a few days and he said never again.

Obviously the elevators are further away but was no issue.  The aft cabin was quiet, peaceful and I loved sitting on our balcony even when it was rough.  There is something just mesmerizing watching the wake.

• Like 1

We had an aft facing cabin on the Eurodam and I would only say, avoid Deck 8 if possible because of noise on the pool deck late at night.  At least this was our experience in 2013.  Otherwise I would say go for it - loved looking to see where we had been!

In July, 2019 we had an aft wrap around cabin on the 8th deck.  You would be right below the lido deck.  Only once did we hear noise from the deck above us, and it was at 8:00 AM as we were entering Glacier Bay.  The extra steps were not a problem.  The views are extraordinary from the aft cabins.  In a veranda cabin you might be worried about missing the view from the "other side of the ship" .

The Aft Balconies are just a few more steps to the elevators, but we prefer to be away from elevators. For us, it is not an inconvenience. Warning:  you may become addicted to only wanting to book aft cabins as we have. Some balconies  are completely covered, and some are much larger than others inside and outside (deeper not wider), some Aft balconies wrap the corner and have expansive views, and even a side secret staircase (as we call it) to the Lido. Check out the deck plans, they say a lot. We have found that in order to secure on aft, you must book early , as only a few are the "best" of the lot, but they are all pretty great. We have heard some folks say that they feel the motion of the ocean more, or have problems with ash fall-out, or people (gasp) can see me on my balcony!!!  None of these things have ever been an issue for us. We find it wind free, a cool covered retreat, and the last four aft's we have booked have been absolutely worth the price and effort. We have an upcoming cruise booked on the Eurodam, and secured an aft, and glad we booked early as that cabin type is now sold out. We always feel lucky to score one. Good luck making your cabin choice..always an anxious and nerve wracking thing to do, but once you do, I am sure you will feel better. Have a great cruise.

We had an aft veranda cabin on the Eurodam, deck 4, (4187) for 28 days to Hawaii and Tahiti from San Diego.  Even the 2 days out of San Diego, when there is usually rougher seas, we had no problems with vibration or noise.   The deck 4 aft balconies are, IMHO, the best, because when you are leaning on your balcony railing looking down, all you see is the beautiful ship's prop wash and wake.   Higher decks, look down onto the balconies below you.   Deck 8 aft balconies occasionally get some noise from chairs being moved around at the Seaview pool on deck 9.

My parents had an aft-facing cabin on the Eurodam. My cabin was all the way forward. It was a hike! to get between the cabins. The distance from the aft elevators was not far to their cabin, but it is a hike from all the way forward.

The bigger problem my parents had was their balcony was always covered in soot - whether the ship was moving or not. It was actually a blessing in disguise that the weather & seas prevented them being out on the balcony too much on that cruise, because they wouldn't have been able to use it anyway with all the soot.