What cooling aids do you use during hot port days?

mithuri

During port days, how do you protect yourselves from searing temperatures?  

During our last cruise, I put an ice wrapped towel around my shoulders/neck to keep cool.  Are there better alternatives to protect oneself from hot temperatures?

Thanks,

I sometimes put ice in zip lock bag along with a damp washcloth.  I put a hand towel around the bag and place it whatever tote I'm taking off the ship.  Really came in handy when we were in Cartagena on a Panama Canal cruise.  It was so hot and humid (near the equator) I didn't think my husband was going to make it back to the bus.  The cold washcloth on his neck and wrists really helped.

I tried the frog togs, but found they weren't that effective when you add humidity into the mix. I've seen some people walking around with battery operated hand held fans. I go old school. 

1. Keep covered. Broad brimmed hat. A lightweight shirt that covers the shoulders, and a lightweight skirt or loose light pants. All to keep the sun off the skin. I also use a parasol if there is no shade available. Bought it in Bangkok last year and had a lot of ladies who came up to me and asked where I got it.

2. Wet wipes and a hand held folding paper fan. Useful if ice isn't handy. We also bring a washcloth from the ship in a ziplock bag. If we can get a bit of ice, wrap it up in the cloth and use as a compress.

3. Drink plenty of fluids,  preferably water, often, whether you feel thirsty or not. We bring an insulated travel cup filled with ice water or lemonade and ice with us. Theres still ice in it several hours later. 

I had nothing to help in Cartagena! I believe it was the hottest, least comfortable I have ever been. Almost impossible to move. Puerto Chiapas was close but I don't think it was quite as hot plus the ruins there had enormous golf umbrellas on loan to help avoid tourists collapsing with heat stroke.

I came home and bought lightweight umbrellas and R.E.I. Kool Ties -- although we haven't had a chance to use the latter. I understand they will work less well in humidity than desert dryness.

We both agree with Mom, cover your skin. Preferably with an SPF/UPF fabric shirt. Have also recently bought Sunday Afternoon Ultra Adventure hats: packable, with just enough cape to cover the neck. And I got my DH a shirt that claims to be "cooler than no shirt at all" on eBay.

6 hours ago, mom says said:

. . . .  a hand held folding paper fan.

. . .We bring an insulated travel cup filled with ice water or lemonade and ice with us

Mrs Ldubs always has the folded fan with her.   I just try not to worry about it, though I am a fan of UPF shirts.   

Good idea about the insulated cup.  My son gave me a 20 oz YETI tumbler.   I didn't think about bringing it on a cruise.  Thanks for the idea.   

6 hours ago, crystalspin said:

And I got my DH a shirt that claims to be "cooler than no shirt at all" on eBay.

Mrs Ldubs might say any shirt I wear would be cooler than no shirt at all. <sigh>   

• Haha 1

There are "cooling towels" that can be "reactivated" by simply "snapping" them.  Golfers/atheletes use them.  They are small and lightweight.

Personally, we don't really take anything special ashore.  It's hot where we live in the summer, so we just deal with it!

The sea.

I usually wear spf graded tee shirts, some are quick dry or cool whisk as well.  Those neck wraps are good for sightseeing excursions or at ATV stops.

But getting in the water is my go to cool off method.

We almost never travel in summer, preferring January - February to go to warmer climates  On the rare occasions we have traveled to desirable places in warm weather (Galapagos, Panama Canal, etc.) we make an effort to do activities earlier in the day or try to stay in the water/shade/AC.

I cannot take much heat and avoid it whenever possible!

Edited by Bookish Angel