Dinner reservations needed?

Last month, I was on the Odyssey for my first SB cruise, so a sample of one.  For my cruise, no reservations for MDR, Colannade (most nights), and (can't remember name) the evening dining area on the pool deck.  All three were first come, first served.  The pool deck dining was the only location that I saw any issue with the limited seating.  The Colannade had two nights on 14 night cruise (that I remember) that had reservations required.  Once was for Thomas Keller fried chicken dinner and one other night (I think) was a steak special menu.

You can only make reservations for the Grill and for the the Colonnade on so-called AdHoc nights ( as those dinners are inspired by Keller’s restaurant named Ad Hoc). All other venues are first come first served - including the newish concept for the Patio called Earth and Ocean.

Sometimes it is called "open dining" where one just shows up at, say, the main dining room whenever you want. Wendy and I  often have a brief conversation as we approach the maitre d' about whether we wish to join and meet some new people or wish to dine alone. This flexibility requires that the cruise line allocate sufficient space and staff in their dining rooms, which costs money: that's why it is almost unheard of on mass-market lines.

I am taking my first cruise on Seabourn in April:classic_biggrin:....I sail solo....I really don't want to make a bunch of reservations ahead time and hoping for a 22 night sailing (TA) I will be able to try Thomas Keller's place without having problems.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I am taking my first cruise on Seabourn in April:classic_biggrin:....I sail solo....I really don't want to make a bunch of reservations ahead time and hoping for a 22 night sailing (TA) I will be able to try Thomas Keller's place without having problems.

Lois, we did not have a problem the nights we did not have a reservation for TK by arriving at opening time.  This would be early bird dining for most passengers and, if you don't mind, you will probably get seated.  The Dover sole is delicious!

Lois,

I noticed you have much experience with Silversea. I do not but will join the Cloud later this month. Our only familiarity with SS is Whisper where you needed reservations at La Dame which was very small and La Verandah where the reservations policy to us was vague but we did get in on a couple of occasions in that large venue.

About Seabourn, you will quickly meet friends as a solo, partly through the very active program SB has to invite those interested to one of several hosted tables in the main dining room virtually every night. Then I bet you will be invited on other peoples’ reservations to join them at Thomas Keller or you would make reservations in your name for you and them and invite them. Same with the ad hoc Colonnade dinners.

Similar to SS you make reservations with the MD or at Seabourn Square (instead of with a butler).

Have a great time on Seabourn!

Happy and healthy sailing!

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

In case you're not aware, you can book one night at Thomas Keller online on the Seabourn site.

On 8/5/2019 at 2:44 PM, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Folks,

Going on first SB cruise in 3 weeks.  Have reserves for TK Grill.  Is there a reason or need to make reservations at other venues?  I know on SS we made something for every night.  Any advice much appreciated.  

Thanks,

Mr Tiramisu  

Our Travel Agent asked us which night we wanted to book the TK restaurant so we gave him a date. But when we sailed on this boat previously, we were able to get a couple of bookings during the cruise. Perhaps go and see them when you first board so you get at least one booking or do the online option in advance which also allows one booking. 

One thing that has worked for us is to make our reservations at the TK Grill for four people  so that we can invite friends to dine with us.  We did this for our last cruise and it worked out well.  On past cruises, we were not always able to add guests to reservations already made.  

17 minutes ago, SLSD said:

One thing that has worked for us is to make our reservations at the TK Grill for four people  so that we can invite friends to dine with us.  We did this for our last cruise and it worked out well.  On past cruises, we were not always able to add guests to reservations already made.  

That's a great idea...thanks for the suggestion!

Good idea about booking on sea days too! Thanks

6 hours ago, Thecat123 said:

We always try to book on sea days as that way if one has a shore excursion one doesn't have to worry about rushing to get to the restaurant on time

Good idea. Thanks

Back to my sample of one with my first SB cruise, I did book one night online for the TK and had the opportunity to book at least one additional night but never got to it.  Before the cruise, all nights were booked.  Again, sample of one, but in my case it would appear more than one person booked more than one night before the cruise departed.  I am relaying what other people said on the cruise: even if a party of two were seated at a four top and volunteered to have another couple join them, the staff said that wasn't an option.