Cancellation

jules57

Has anyone had experience of one party having to cancel last minute. My friend and I are due to sail in a fortnight and she had a fall today.  The hospital gave her the all clear but she has been told to check with her GP that she is fit to travel. I still want to go as I originally booked the cruise and she was added. Will PandO let me travel and she claims on her insurance or will they expect me to pay more? If they do I shall have to cancel as we upgraded to a suite a few weeks ago and I can't justify any further expense

I take it full payment has been made.

if sailing from Southampton, I would just turn up on the day, tell them she is a no show and let her claim of her insurance 

No good cancelling now just in case she is well enough to travel on the day.

Your friend will lose her money anyway, so why not give it until the last minute 

1 minute ago, MickD said:

if sailing from Southampton, I would just turn up on the day, tell them she is a no show and let her claim of her insurance 

Your friend will lose her money anyway, so why not give it until the last minute 

Thanks MickD. That was my gut reaction. Hopefully she will be fine.

2 minutes ago, MickD said:

Totally agree with this. If you contact them beforehand they may want to charge a single person supplement, Just turn up and say she is unable to travel.

1 minute ago, the english lady said:

Totally agree with this. If you contact them beforehand they may want to charge a single person supplement, Just turn up and say she is unable to travel.

Sounds a good idea but I think it would be good to hear from somebody who has done this just to make sure it is good advice. 

The way I see it is that she will either travel or not.  If your companion cannot travel I think she will claim that she had to cancel due to illness.  Basically she would be cancelling with P&O, advising the insurance company, not travelling and then recovering the out of pocket expenses from her insurance company via a claim.  P&O already have two lots of fares and they will refund nothing. They might not worry as they have the double fares but might have rules for this type of situation.  I think you should ask the cruise line direct, discreetly without disclosing the exact circumstances on a hypothetical booking you might be making in the future. What is the situation if this happens.  Similarly what does the Insurance Company require to refund a fare? It will hopefully all work out fine either way.

Regards John

14 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

You have already had sound advice from the other posters, I just want to wish your friend well and hope you manage to have a fantastic cruise.

Andy

Thank you. That's so kind. 

Not quite the same, but we were travelling as a party of 3 sharing a cabin (myself, mother and godmother), and my godmother wasn't able to travel - this was after the final balance had been paid.  Mum and I went on our own . We just turned up and told them there was only the two of us.

Michele

Sorry if this is not helpful but just to flag up that we many years back we bumped in to friends - one of whom had not been allowed to sail on a cruise. I think it was Cunard, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, the lady had hurt her leg and it was all strapped up and she had a stick. She had to speak to someone when she was boarding re the injury (may have been post op) and to cut a long story short she was not allowed to sail as they did not consider her fit enough. We met her walking around town - well shuffling around town. As I said I can't remember if she had injured herself or if she had had an operation but whatever, they obviously took one look and called the medical professionals on board at the time. She had not got anything from a Dr to say that she was well enough to go

Just something to flag up if your friend goes on the cruise ---- play it down when checking in !

Hope this makes some sort of sense -

On a different note - really hope that she recovers and is well enough to go. If the Hospital are happy try not to worry too much and think that once you're on the ship you can just enjoy that wonderful suite as much as needs be and take things easy if she needs to.

Edited by Presto2

Thanks everyone. Logic tells me PandO have been paid for 2 people staying. They are quids in.  She won't be using her on-board credit which would have covered her spending easily as she doesn't drink. Only downside for them is that she cancels pre-booked shore excursions and then claims on her insurance for the cruise. 

I think she will be sufficiently healed by the cruise so I won't get to have the suite to myself. 😂

1 hour ago, jules57 said:

I think she will be sufficiently healed by the cruise so I won't get to have the suite to myself. 😂

That's great news :-) (Unless you wanted it all to yourself -- shame on you ;-) )

Have a wonderful time. So pleased for you both !!!

Notice you are from Staffordshire. Where about??? :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Presto2

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

That's great news 🙂 (Unless you wanted it all to yourself -- shame on you 😉 )

You are not thinking she may also be from the Royal Borough of Stoke on Trent are you?

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

That's great news 🙂 (Unless you wanted it all to yourself -- shame on you 😉 )

Near Lichfield Presto2. It will be the first cruise for my friend. Both  of us are widowed and sharing saves some pennies for us both as well as company for each other.  Hope we meet lots of nice people.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, pete14 said:

You are not thinking she may also be from the Royal Borough of Stoke on Trent are you?

No I'm not a city girl. Just a townie with lots of countryside nearby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Seems not but is Potters are good folk and like to look after their own and meet up if we can. 😉

5 minutes ago, jules57 said:

Near Lichfield Presto2. It will be the first cruise for my friend. Both  of us are widowed and sharing saves some pennies for us both as well as company for each other.  Hope we meet lots of nice people.

That's lovely. We were in Acton Trussell a few days ago ...have a very lovely cruise the both of you. 

Just now, Presto2 said:

Same day we sail on Celebrity Edge. Will raise a glass and think of you both.  😊

Lucky you. She's on my bucket list. This is only my 2nd cruise with P&O. Have mainly sailed with Celebrity. Have a lovely cruise yourself. 😊

Interested to read this as I may do a solo cruise in the future, and noticed that sometimes the single rooms are more than a twin room, and was wondering if I could just get away with booking 2 people on, then just turning up on my own. 

2 hours ago, davemorton said:

Interested to read this as I may do a solo cruise in the future, and noticed that sometimes the single rooms are more than a twin room, and was wondering if I could just get away with booking 2 people on, then just turning up on my own. 

I originally booked an aft balcony for 2 which was approx £300 more expensive than the single balcony. Adding my friend before we upgraded to a suite was a further £800 but we basically split the total cost so I ended up being cheaper for me, at least before the upgrade. The single balcony was very close to the Crows Nest so I turned it down.  

Since losing my husband I have had holidayed on my own and with friends although this is the first time I have shared a room. 

Don't think you will get away with booking for 2 people given the information you have to produce prior to e tickets being issued