Question on trip insurance thru Oceania

cruisetheworld67

Appreciate those  who  responded  to   my  other post  concerning gluten free selections on Oceania cruises.

One other area I would like advice is on  trip insurance. We have sailed HAL many times and always take the HAL offered

Platinum Policy which offers  trip cancellation  for ANY reason  (within 24 hours of the cruise I believe)  for a 90% refund of the cost of the cruise.

This offers huge peace of mind.

It seems Oceania offers trip insurance but it seems to be just for medical reasons and not for any reason?  Is this correct?

I realize that a medical reason would be the number one reason to cancel most trips  but other "things" do come up.

I did look at  insuremytrip.com  but their policies only reimburse up to 75% of the cruise and have a $10,000  cap.

If we do decide to take the Oceania travel insurance even it it does not contain  a "cancel for any reason " provision; I assume you pay for this at the time you or your

TA  books the cruise? This was the policy at HAL. You need to pay for their Standard or Platinum Insurance plan  at the time of booking and not at a later date.

Thank you for your help.

You should be able to get a copy of the Terms of the policy 

Also check the  TripInsurance store  as mentioned  here on several threads

You may want to call & speak to  someone

We have gotten insurance coverage  here  for more than $10,000  but maybe different in the USA

46 minutes ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

Appreciate those  who  responded  to   my  other post  concerning gluten free selections on Oceania cruises.

One other area I would like advice is on  trip insurance. We have sailed HAL many times and always take the HAL offered

Platinum Policy which offers  trip cancellation  for ANY reason  (within 24 hours of the cruise I believe)  for a 90% refund of the cost of the cruise.

It seems Oceania offers trip insurance but it seems to be just for medical reasons and not for any reason?  Is this correct?

I realize that a medical reason would be the number one reason to cancel most trips  but other "things" do come up.

I did look at  insuremytrip.com  but their policies only reimburse up to 75% of the cruise and have a $10,000  cap.

If we do decide to take the Oceania travel insurance even it it does not contain  a "cancel for any reason " provision; I assume you pay for this at the time you or your

TA  books the cruise? This was the policy at HAL. You need to pay for their Standard or Platinum Insurance plan  at the time of booking and not at a later date.

Thank you for your help.

Not quite sure what policies you looked at, but we've been using InsureMyTrip for many years as the broker, and we haven't seen any main stream policies that don't cover the full amount or have a cap for a single trip, unless you want a "cancel for any reason" policy,  which we haven't pursued. 

Edited by 1985rz1

1 hour ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

Thank you for your help.

Also take a look at the travel insurance section of CC:  browse there and ask questions:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

We STRONGLY recommend *calling* an insurance broker such at www.TripInsuranceStore.com especially if you ar in the USA.

There are absolutely policies that are much better than what you are describing (and I am also sure that most insurance brokers would offer them).  I'm not at all sure what you are looking at.

That's why you should CALL and discuss all of this with them.

It seems you are mixing up different types of coverage and the limits from what you have written.

We've had policies with Travel Insured that covered several tens of thousands of dollars, and we've also had *claims* with them, and they've paid more.  And they pay with no nonsense!

And they paid us 100% of ALL cancellation cost; they also paid 100% of all trip interruption costs on a different trip.  They do cover 75% cash back if one has the CFAR rider (Cancel For Any Reason), which is when you want to cancel (or interrupt) the trip withOUT having a "covered reason"... "just because", even if only "I changed my mind" (but the 25% not refunded is costly if one "just changes one's mind", of course!  And this is refunded in CASH, not as a "cruise credit" with a deadline to be used.).

The third party policies are usually much better and/or less costly than through the cruise line (but there are probably some exceptions).

GC

1 hour ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

Thank you for your help.

In most cases, "cancel for any reason" insurance is quite the unnecessary "luxury," particularly when folks are retired.

IMO, the more important item to have is a "waiver of pre-existing conditions (PECs)," which would allow claims for trip cancel/delay/interrupt due to new medical diagnoses and/or changes in treatment/meds/etc for long present chronic conditions/diseases, which manifested during a "lookback period" of several months prior to the policy's purchase. 

As for buying insurance directly from the entity against which you might file a claim (i.e., the cruise line), I wouldn't do it (also because their claims fine print and dollar limits are woefully unfavorable.

OP: talk to the brokers suggested and look particularly at comprehensive policies allowing their purchase (with PEC waivers) up to your final cruise payment date. There are only a few companies that have that leeway (e.g., Nationwide). 

And, if you are over 65, expect to pay at least 10% of the non-refundable costs (associated with your cruise) as the premium for the policy.

We usually take the O offered insurance and never had a claim until earlier this year. Due to a hospitalization I had to cancel the trip. The insurance company could not have been more responsive and we were reimbursed in less than two weeks. Very satisfied. 

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

You should be able to get a copy of the Terms of the policy 

Also check the  TripInsurance store  as mentioned  here on several threads

You may want to call & speak to  someone

We have gotten insurance coverage  here  for more than $10,000  but maybe different in the USA

We are using them to insure O's WC.  Steve is very knowledge.