Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

2 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I have no idea.  I never sailed these waters in my professional career and I do not have any access to the sailing charts on the bridge.  If you go to the various ship tracking websites you might be able to see the past track.  Now if this was the Canadian/Alaska inside passage I could tell you all about it.  As is, I am learning as I go.🍸

Have been following on Cruisemapper and Marine Traffic.  And of course the gorgeous scenery on the Panomax.  I have this handy Patagonian & Fuegian Channels Chilean Fjords Cruise Chart which is not an official navigation chart but a handy aid for following the track ships take through those waters.  Thank you for all your great comments and stories.

Hi Jeannette...truly hate to disappoint you...but this is Bird Island- no penguins here. Mostly cormorants, plus a few other kinds. Still, interesting to see and made for a nice picture! From a distance, and with so many of them, it does almost look like there could be penguins mixed in there. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

12 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I have no idea.  I never sailed these waters in my professional career and I do not have any access to the sailing charts on the bridge.  If you go to the various ship tracking websites you might be able to see the past track.  Now if this was the Canadian/Alaska inside passage I could tell you all about it.  As is, I am learning as I go.🍸

Yeh! provided you had a whistle, even blindfolded you could navigate from Turn Point to Skagway. Little slower than the 20+ kts we did, but still possible.

Old seadogs never get lost 🙂🍺

• Like 1

If interested in tracking the ship's progress using the actual AIS, this is the website I use

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:4924418/mmsi:257179000/vessel:VIKING SUN

While offshore it does not provide a position, unless you pay for the satellite service. The other cruise website extrapolate the ship's position, providing an estimated position. When you use this website it advises how current the posted position is and provides real past tracks.

Personally, i don't use any of the cruise websites, as I can look at Google Maps and extrapolate where the ship is just as easily.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Hi Jeannette...truly hate to disappoint you...but this is Bird Island- no penguins here. Mostly cormorants, plus a few other kinds. Still, interesting to see and made for a nice picture! From a distance, and with so many of them, it does almost look like there could be penguins mixed in there. 

Still is one fabulous photo!  -Jeannette😌

19 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Thanks! Are you planning a cruise down that way by any chance? 

If that  question is directed toWard me, we have 3 Viking Ocean Cruises between May, 2020 and May, 2021.  None of these are to SA. 
Argentina was our most “Southern” SA destination (not a cruise)
As we were told so many times on the Sun, 3 more cruises=packing & unpacking 6 more times, and heaven knows how many airports/TSA screenings to deal with, so I guess we should of just remained on board The Sun...hahaha-Jeannette😌

1 hour ago, Jukebo1x said:

As we were told so many times on the Sun, 3 more cruises=packing & unpacking 6 more times, and heaven knows how many airports/TSA screenings to deal with, so I guess we should of just remained on board The Sun...hahaha-Jeannette😌

Good point! We're looking at 3 Ocean cruises also - Jan. '21 (B2B) inaugural sailing on the Venus followed by Iberian Explorer, then might use our compensation vouchers in '21 as well.