NCL free or reduced air

bluebelt

29 minutes ago, bluebelt said:

How does free or reduced air work?  We are looking at a cruise out of Los Angeles on the Joy.  Those who have used your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

NCL has total control of making your flight arrangements. If you want to arrive 1-2 days earlier or stay longer you can pay a $25pp deviation fee. 

NCL will automatically add transfer reservations, but you can decline those. 

NCL tries to book with 0-1 connections.

We have a nonstop flight to Barcelona tonight, but we could just as easily had a connection somewhere. 

• Like 1

The transfer reservations are those from the airport to the ship?  $25 seems reasonable to deviate.  When do you get notification of your flights?  Do you let them know when booking that you want to leave earlier or stay later?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebelt said:

The transfer reservations are those from the airport to the ship?  $25 seems reasonable to deviate.  When do you get notification of your flights?  Do you let them know when booking that you want to leave earlier or stay later?

Transfers will be airport to ship and back, $40 for the round-trip but you need to get back to the airport on embarkation day to take the cruise shuttle.  I'm less than 60 days out and still waiting for my flights, someone on here is saying they're finalized around 45 days before the cruise.  Yes, you should let them know when you book that you want the deviation.

Hotel for the night becomes your responsibility to book and pay for.

Edited by hallux

I have booked the reduced air for a transatlantic in April.  Right now it shows we have a connection coming home Rome to Lisbon, Lisbon to Toronto.   Does anyone know, could this change to a direct flight by April, or am I guaranteed a connecting flight?

4 minutes ago, subtlefantasy said:

I have booked the reduced air for a transatlantic in April.  Right now it shows we have a connection coming home Rome to Lisbon, Lisbon to Toronto.   Does anyone know, could this change to a direct flight by April, or am I guaranteed a connecting flight?

It could change. A lot of things can happen before they ticket in February/March.

• Thanks 1

Also, make sure you check your documentation carefully.  The edocs had the air information with general information including the Record Locator Number so you can view the booking on the airline website.  About a month from sailing we received a confirmation of air travel.  My DW received this email but I did not.  When I looked at the confirmation it had both our names and the correct flight information but beside her name was an e-ticket number, there was nothing beside my name.  I did not think anything was amiss.  When checking into my flight the day before,  my boarding pass had printed on it "collect coupon". I thought this very odd.  I called the airline to check what that  meant and they told me an e-ticket had not been issued and the only reason my seat was not cancelled was because it was associted to my DW's seat.

2 hours plus on the phone with NCL resolved the issue and an e-ticket was issued.  I guess I should have been more dillegent in reviewing the confirmation however NCL did not do their part either.

On 8/30/2019 at 11:52 AM, bluebelt said:

$25 seems reasonable to deviate.

No, it doesn’t.   I’ve never been punished with the threat of a $25.00 fee for not using the cruise line’s travel agency to book flights until I booked with Norwegian Cruise Lines.  

There isn’t a “reasonable” purpose for taking away your freedom to book flights, insurance, hotel stays as you see fit so long as you can make it on board before embarkation.  If you don’t know how to book a flight, and you miss the boat, they get to keep everything to which they’re entitled so they’re at no risk.

It’s not reasonable to force you to use their flight bookings.  It’s legal.  It’s my choice not to cruise with NCL if I don’t wish to pay the penalty.  But it’s not reasonable.

Edited by MotownVoice

1 hour ago, MotownVoice said:

I’ve never been punished with the threat of a $25.00 fee for not using the cruise line’s travel agency to book flights until I booked with Norwegian Cruise Lines.

They don't charge you $25 if you don't book flights through them, they charge you $25 to book your flight a day or 2 before the cruise instead of the day of.  They don't book hotels for you, that's still your responsibility.  They're not forcing anyone into using the NCL flight bookings if they don't want - it's an option during the booking and costs nothing if you choose not to use it - but depending on your cabin type selection, where you're flying from and when you price the flights it actually CAN be a savings compared to booking yourself.

On 8/30/2019 at 11:07 AM, Nola26 said:

NCL has total control of making your flight arrangements. If you want to arrive 1-2 days earlier or stay longer you can pay a $25pp deviation fee. 

NCL will automatically add transfer reservations, but you can decline those. 

NCL tries to book with 0-1 connections.

We have a nonstop flight to Barcelona tonight, but we could just as easily had a connection somewhere. 

Thank you for this info.

Just an update...I did decide to try to give NCL air a try.  If I booked out of pocket I would have paid around $800 for airfare for 2 people.  We leave the weekend after thanksgiving so a busy travel weekend...flights were high.  I did not pay anything for airfare with NCL so I figured it was worth a shot.  The TA I booked through did not charge a deviation fee.  The airfare is pending with tentative flights...one flight is direct and one has a stop.  

On 9/1/2019 at 6:12 AM, MotownVoice said:

No, it doesn’t.   I’ve never been punished with the threat of a $25.00 fee for not using the cruise line’s travel agency to book flights until I booked with Norwegian Cruise Lines.  

There isn’t a “reasonable” purpose for taking away your freedom to book flights, insurance, hotel stays as you see fit so long as you can make it on board before embarkation.  If you don’t know how to book a flight, and you miss the boat, they get to keep everything to which they’re entitled so they’re at no risk.

It’s not reasonable to force you to use their flight bookings.  It’s legal.  It’s my choice not to cruise with NCL if I don’t wish to pay the penalty.  But it’s not reasonable.

Nobody is forcing you to do anything.  If you want to take advantage of the "free or reduced" airfare, then you take what they give you, which are most likely flights arriving on the day of embarkation, leaving on the day you disembark.  If you want to arrive a day or two before or stay a day or two after, you pay a $25 deviation fee if you still want the discount rates.  They do not charge you a fee for making your own arrangements, at your cost.

On 9/1/2019 at 9:12 AM, MotownVoice said:

Um. You're mistaken. You don't have to have your flights through NCL and there's no cost to not have flights through NCL. 

On 8/30/2019 at 1:04 PM, hallux said:

Transfers will be airport to ship and back, $40 for the round-trip but you need to get back to the airport on embarkation day to take the cruise shuttle.  I'm less than 60 days out and still waiting for my flights, someone on here is saying they're finalized around 45 days before the cruise.  Yes, you should let them know when you book that you want the deviation.

Hotel for the night becomes your responsibility to book and pay for.

I am 44 days out.  I have called several times and heard several excuses as to why I don't have flight info or why they took my edocs away, they just changed the days to excuse why they weren't ready, from 60 days, now it is up to 30.  I think some people would prefer to have the info sooner, and the agent began chastising me, as if it is wrong to expect expedient service and reliable answers.  On other issues I have also received completely different answers, one told me I couldn't get free airfare plus the free at sea offerings, another person told me obc gift certificates are not refundable.  I've read stories about people having their flights not even ready the day before, and other very strange issues that need someone to investigate, not just spew out a new day they will be ready.  I received the record locator from one agent, Norwegian hasn't confirmed the booking.  They could have done it immediately.  It's an incredibly wealthy business and bad service should not be accepted, my cruise is far from free.  I can get better service at McDonald's.  The sense of entitlement to act poorly and assume they are doing their best is not necessarily true.  I'm paying them.  They owe me the product delivered in a satisfying manner, just like anywhere else.

• Like 1

@ctlolo I'm not sure what part of my post you're replying to and getting all riled up about.  Was it 60 days before the cruise previously?  I haven't booked air through a cruise line before.  Also consider that right now the air booking department was just VERY busy trying to get flights re-booked for people whose trips were effected by the hurricane, people sitting comfortably at home that aren't cruising for 6 weeks yet can wait a few more days while people in evacuation zones worry about their homes while also trying to get people back to their own homes after a vacation.

What is "satisfactory" for you?  While I'd appreciate being able to make plans for the day before embarkation (and can't because I don't know how much time I'll have), as long as they get me there in time to board the ship I'm happy.  As long as I know my flight info the day before I'm supposed to fly, I can be OK with that (I've booked a work trip at 8 PM with a flight out at 6 AM the next day).

While I'm checking daily to see if my air is finalized (I'm 50 days away), I won't get too concerned until we get down to 20 days and I have no info.

Someone mentioned being 45 days out, that's where it came from, I see it is somewhat off topic, but did I quote you?  Unsatisfactory for me is simply telling me random numbers of days several times that my flight will be ready and then the days come and go without happening.  Also, some agents have told me false information, once could have cost me my free at sea choices.  You have your expectations, I have mine.  They owe me service and a product, I don't owe them anything, except to be well behaved on the cruise, I don't owe them a gleaming review when undeserved.  Hopefully the cruise will be enjoyable.  That's the best I can hope for.  The cruise company makes BANK, I don't think that entitles them to poor customer service, quite the opposite.  I find it strange when people blindly accept corporate experiences.  If your expectations are less than mine, that's up to you.  Also, they know what flight I'm going on, again, how hard is it to finalize?  It really is just bad service, especially when they told me it would be ready at 60 days then kept changing it.   If they originally said 30 days I think that is too close personally but I would atleast have dealt with it.  I feel like some people will tar and feather me if I don't honor and venerate Norwegian.  I'm quitting this forum immediately.  Personally I think it's wrong to accept bad behavior from the super wealthy.  Some of you are like people I've seen in online forums for music festivals, just slightly less uptight.  I'm very disappointed, for several reasons.

Maybe they just don't see what's so bad about not finding it out a little later? Yea, silly of them to put a time frame on there before seeing how popular it would be and thus the manpower they would need. But there is no difference finding out 30 days out vs 45. Nothing can change about the flights, you're stuck with them regardless of when they tell you what you are. And therefore no benefit or need to know more than a few days before the flight. 

The price you paid for free airfare is having no control over it. 

As you say there probably is no difference in 30 or 45 days but that is not really the concern of most people. In the end, I think it is more about expectations than reality. People are told 75 days and that is what they expect. When it becomes 45 or 30, the expectation in significantly missed and the customer becomes concerned. The proper thing to do would be to set a reasonable expectation and then meet it. If 30 days is the proper time frame than tell the people that. Otherwise living up to the expectation set is the burden of the entity making the commitment.

I do agree that if NCL just updated their site to say 30 days they'd get a lot less calls and hassel. I've just dealt with IT in a big company and seen first hand how long a seemingly easy fix takes them to do - currently almost at 3 months wait for a literal copy/paste job.