Oasis 8th Dec after drydock

swcruise

Hello all,

Am getting excited now, 1st time back with RCI since 2013 and two with Celebrity in the meantime.

Have sailed Splendour (twice) our 1st and no longer in the fleet, Vision, Navigator, Adventure, Voyager and our favs Brilliance and Serenade.

Now going on one of the big ladies Oasis after her 165 million drydock on 8th Dec. Excited to see the changes but can’t compare as haven’t sailed her before. A little disappointed no Wonderland and champagne bar going to be replaced by bionic bar and rooms may or not be redone, but going with an open mind and heart.

A few question to all my helpful cc’ers ( have been taking notes on all the posts so I don’t forget).

Got a deal on the 3 night package so it will be Chops, 150 and Giovanni’s I think  ( love sushi but don’t think it is a good deal..). I understand that the Celeb chef is mo longer linked to 150, have searched for new menus and reviews but no hit. Would appreciate if someone could share experiences and menu and how it compares from last year.

Lowly Emerald and will be one point away from Diamond after this cruise. I seem to recall a Captains champagne reception  1st formal night and two parties one for repeat cruiser and one for Emerald, Platinum etc. Does that still happen?

On last day is there still a service breakfast menu in the MDR and does the drink package cover a final mimosa, they brought this out on our Dec cruise with Celebrity a nice little farewell but could probably do without if they cut the beverage package off. When is it terminated do you know ?

We have a late flight back to Europe from Miami eve of 15th think 10 pm or thereabouts. Booked the RCI xfer 14 euros, plan is to leave luggage at the airport and head in to Miami and leave again at 5/6ish. I don’t want it to be a v v long day, do you know when the bus shuttles go ? Would I be better trying to get a late disembarkation (and how can I assure this) and taxi/Uber to airport ?

Reading the revised plans it seems like new staterooms on deck 14 I think .. Does this mean that the tubs over the edge will be gone and will there be some place on that deck for non-suite guests to enjoy a sea view.

Our itinerary has been revised due to propulsion problems with Allure, same ports just different days and times. Looking at San Juan, the excursion says 10am, but we don’t get there till 1. I had a webchat with RCI but not much help, should we just book and assume the time will be updated to reflect docking or just wait???

Tks in advance and any other hints and tips most appreciated

There is still breakfast service with menu in the MDR on the last morning.  The beverage package is still valid on the last morning, though you may have a bit of trouble finding a venue open that will serve a mimosa.  I'd first check the Windjammer bar.

12 minutes ago, swcruise said:

Would I be better trying to get a late disembarkation (and how can I assure this) and taxi/Uber to airport ?

You can't leave any later than about 10AM, so you'll need to plan something till your flight and hanging out at MIA is probably not a good plan.

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

There is still breakfast service with menu in the MDR on the last morning.  The beverage package is still valid on the last morning, though you may have a bit of trouble finding a venue open that will serve a mimosa.  I'd first check the Windjammer bar.

Tks Bob and Clarea, Am sure we can forgo the last mimosa after a week on board. I did follow your guide when booking a balcony room. Did I get it right 8616, bed by balcony or wardrobe .. Lol..

18 minutes ago, swcruise said:

.... We have a late flight back to Europe from Miami eve of 15th think 10 pm or thereabouts. Booked the RCI xfer 14 euros, plan is to leave luggage at the airport and head in to Miami and leave again at 5/6ish. I don’t want it to be a v v long day, do you know when the bus shuttles go ? Would I be better trying to get a late disembarkation (and how can I assure this) and taxi/Uber to airport ? ...

Check the Florida Departures forum for info on hotels that have day rates:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

Others have done rental cars (where luggage can be stored) to do some touring in the area.

1 minute ago, swcruise said:

Tks Bob and Clarea, Am sure we can forgo the last mimosa after a week on board. I did follow your guide when booking a balcony room. Did I get it right 8616, bed by balcony or wardrobe .. Lol..

Bed by the balcony.

18 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I have had trouble getting fresh squeezed orange juice the last morning

11 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Bed by the balcony.

Cheers Bob, is what i hoped for re room setup, your hints and tips are great.  Like the suggestion re a day hotel will take a check on this. I just don't  want to be booted out at 7am as long day and long flight home. So, better I cancel this when I pay the balance ?  I just don't know how flexible they can be with such a larger number of guests on their options to the airport, how can I request a latest departure ?

My initial thoughts were leave the luggage at MIA and then train back in and go to Bayside and the park and Birkell  where we stayed last year and maybe a hoho that we didn't do Have found a wonderful Peruvian restaurant but after a a week of over eating will decide on the day

19 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Bed by the balcony.

13 minutes ago, swcruise said:

Cheers Bob, is what i hoped for re room setup, your hints and tips are great.  Like the suggestion re a day hotel will take a check on this. I just don't  want to be booted out at 7am as long day and long flight home. So, better I cancel this when I pay the balance ?  I just don't know how flexible they can be with such a larger number of guests on their options to the airport, how can I request a latest departure ?

My initial thoughts were leave the luggage at MIA and then train back in and go to Bayside and the park and Birkell  where we stayed last year and maybe a hoho that we didn't do Have found a wonderful Peruvian restaurant but after a a week of over eating will decide on the day

They want you off the ship ASAP.  They will have multiple coaches going to the airport, you won't be assigned to a specific coach or departure time.  I have no idea when the last coach will be, but my guess is that it will be earlier than 10am as others with earlier flights will want to get to the airport.  

Leaving the luggage at MIA might not be possible as some airlines have a 4 hour limit on how early you can check bags.  I'd either take a taxi/uber to a hotel or do the rental car.

They don’t have late disembark option in the USA (unlike Europe) as the ships have to be at zero passenger count before boarding can start.

Have you looked at hiring a car and going to Sawgrass for some retail therapy? 

Or I would actually change the flight to the following day so you could relax and enjoy that last day fully instead of just killing time?

11 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Check the Florida Departures forum for info on hotels that have day rates:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

Others have done rental cars (where luggage can be stored) to do some touring in the area.

We booked a day room in a Sheraton near the airport after our cruise last February. It was a great room, relaxed by the pool for a few hours, had a lovely lunch then shower and relaxed in room until around 5pm, then short free transit to airport. We would do this again. Just Google day rooms at Miami Airport for a good selection. Think we got a taxi from the cruise port to hotel, it was a set fee and not expensive. 

Hello

Thanks all for the replies. Am considering a day pass at resort pass website/day room at hotel or RCI excursion with luggage storage and airport drop off. Direct flights only go Wed, Fri and Sunday so coming in two days early and hope late the day of disembarkation.

Anyone have the new 150 Central Park menu and thoughts on the experience.

Normally book a spa treatment and wait for the onboard specials, are these still offered ?