Free phone at sea

Just reading on the RC forum how to get free phone at sea.

Apparently if you put your phone on airplane mode and enable the wifi you can make free phone calls using the ships wifi.

I know iMessage works for free without the internet package.

Anyone here can add to this.

So you need a iPhone.and the wifi package.

A interesting thing,if at home.you have bad mobile phone reception you can use the NBN .

I presume you could use it in your hotel with their wifi.

Come on ,any of you geeks out there ?

Edited by Chiliburn

44 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

You also need an app on your phone and a plan that supports WiFi Calling (aka mobile voip).

Ignore me, I was getting WiFi Calling and VOIP mixed up.

WiFi Calling is built into the phone, if the phone is recent enough.

I believe Telstra, Vodaphone and Optus support it.

I don't think it allows direct connections from overseas, although a VPN might work.

8 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Ignore me, I was getting WiFi Calling and VOIP mixed up.

WiFi Calling is built into the phone, if the phone is recent enough.

I believe Telstra, Vodaphone and Optus support it.

I don't think it allows direct connections from overseas, although a VPN might work.

It has to be a newer phone.

asking a few friends,they don’t think it’s working here yet and/or don’t know about it.

iMessage works for free as it piggybacks on the ships internet provider 

I love something for nothing 

Edited by Chiliburn

Gidday fellow cruisers!

I have a Samsung J5 and on my last trip I got the voom surf & stream.

Very happy with coverage, was able to swap the wifi between my phone and tablet, just not at the same time, would have been needing a 2 devices package for that.

I used my Messenger app for video and for voice calls.

Was very good service in the South Pacific and all covered by the Voom.

Previous trip I was aboard the ship, but in port and used my phone, due to the phone using the closest antenna I got stung for ship charges as I wasn't on the internet package, even though my phone was telling me I was on Telstra.

So, watch those portside calls...

TraceyG😀

15 minutes ago, dandtgeddes said:

Gidday fellow cruisers!

Very happy with coverage, was able to swap the wifi between my phone and tablet, just not at the same time, would have been needing a 2 devices package for that.

Previous trip I was aboard the ship, but in port and used my phone, due to the phone using the closest antenna I got stung for ship charges as I wasn't on the internet package, even though my phone was telling me I was on Telstra.

TraceyG😀

Same coverage for us with the Voom.  Had no issues at all on Radiance last year Syd to Honolulu, via Tahitit.....even with the two lots of 5 sea days.  Streamed Netflix, used Skype and Messenger for calls, and did video calls etc.  Very impressed with it.

29 minutes ago, dandtgeddes said:

Gidday fellow cruisers!

TraceyG😀

So Samsung would be android?

From what I understand if you’re near the ship you have to keep it on airplane mode or it reverts to the ships global roaming.

OR you get a lovely bill.

Edited by Chiliburn

13 minutes ago, bobhsv said:

Same coverage for us with the Voom.  Had no issues at all on Radiance last year Syd to Honolulu, via Tahitit.....even with the two lots of 5 sea days.  Streamed Netflix, used Skype and Messenger for calls, and did video calls etc.  Very impressed with it.

What kind of phone?

The further from the equator,like the bottom of NZ Voom is pretty bad.

Edited by Chiliburn

Yes, my Samsung is an Android.

I realise that technically my 'calls' were not free, I did pay for wifi but it was nice being able to 'call' my kids using the Messenger app without having to pay the rates I got stung with on the previous trip😫

Did use the airplane mode 'button' much of the time, the last bill left me somewhat paranoid, you might be able to notice this, just a little😋

Read so many complaints about the Voom on these boards, I reckon we have good coverage in the South Pacific.

TraceyG😀

17 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

What kind of phone?

The further from the equator,like the bottom of NZ Voom is pretty bad.

Android phones, Samsung (older S6) and Oppo f1s, plus android tablet.  Had absolutely no issues crossing the ditch,  plus around Wellington, sea days from there up to Tahiti, and sea days over to Honolulu.  Others had issues on land in Tahiti, as the net is touch and go there, but all good for us.  Most calls each day/night were over a half hour, and never lost connection.  Gave grandkids a video ships tour one day out in the middle of the Pacific.  With Netflix it still recognised our aussie vpn address, but this could be avoided with a pvn if you wanted the US Netflix.  Has to be used on airplane mode btw.

25 minutes ago, dandtgeddes said:

Yes, my Samsung is an Android.

I realise that technically my 'calls' were not free, I did pay for wifi but it was nice being able to 'call' my kids using the Messenger app without having to pay the rates I got stung with on the previous trip😫

Did use the airplane mode 'button' much of the time, the last bill left me somewhat paranoid, you might be able to notice this, just a little😋

Read so many complaints about the Voom on these boards, I reckon we have good coverage in the South Pacific.

TraceyG😀

Yeah 

You don’t mind being over charged but hate being ripped off.

I remember getting $US 50 phone call for a few minutes in a fancy hotel in California and a average hotel it was free to Australia.