MENUS

islandchick

islandchick,

Here are a few menu and restaurant  related ideas and/or suggestions:

TK menu is in "THE" TK restaurant is always the same.  What that said there are other various TK speciality dishes are served through out the ship.  For example: a TK burger is served occasionally at lunch at the Patio Grill restaurant.

The pool side Patio Restaurant becomes Earth and Ocean at night. Go early!

Dinner in the Colonnades is usually a "theme night" menu (Indian or Italian for example) and the servings are almost always different.  Reservations usually required for dinner in the Colonnades.

Earth and Ocean menu varies and offers 3 or 4 dining options.  A huge hunk of meat is almost always one.  Cowboy steak for example  - seriously :)

MDR has different and varied options on the left side of the menu and Seabourn Classic dishes on the right side of the menu. Seabourn classics never change (and are quite good - rack of lamb, steak,  salad etc).

Room service menu items are only suggestions.  You can order anything served on the ship except for items served in the TK restaurant.  And a bloody mary if you want :)

You mentioned you're a planner but consider opening yourself up to same day surprises.  I think all of the dinner menus are available at lunch and you can choose between Earth and Ocean, MDR and or the Colonnades the day of.  The noise level in the MDR hurts my ears due to a hearing disability but it's wonderful.

One insiders secret not to be shared with anyone else:  If you see TK buttermilk fried chicken on the dinner menu in the Colonnades, GO!!!  It's not offered every cruise and reservations are required but, it's the best fried chicken you will ever have!

FYI: I've sailed on almost every one of the ships in your signature but my last 14 cruises have been SB. You'll see why :)

3 hours ago, islandchick said:

raphael360, thank you for all that amazing info. I will have to test out the room service and order off menu :classic_biggrin:

If you do order room service and want a selection from the main dining room, make sure that you place your order AFTER the dining room has opened.  Don't  ask me how I know.  The only issue I have encountered with room service is the occasional staff person answering the telephone who is not totally conversant in English.  This CAN be an issue.  

Edited by SLSD

23 minutes ago, islandchick said:

SLSD-  sorry for the confusion, I should have stated this differently. I meant order something not on the mdr or room service menus.

Ok, you can do that as well-but still may run into the staff member who doesn't quite understand what you are asking for.  I will be looking forward to the report from your cruise.  I know you are going to have a great time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

If you do order room service and want a selection from the main dining room, make sure that you place your order AFTER the dining room has opened.  Don't  ask me how I know.  The only issue I have encountered with room service is the occasional staff person answering the telephone who is not totally conversant in English.  This CAN be an issue.  

SLSD is correct.  One can order the MDR menu for room service but only during MDR dinner hours.  My bad for not mentioning that.  And for sure, nothing from the TK restaurant - ever. 

Islandchick - I made the effort to give you the clift notes version or the dining ins and outs on SB because it's not obvious your first first few days.

Another must do: you'll get directed to go to the Colonnades as soon as you board if you board before 2pm.  I highly recommend you grab a table out side, sit back, order a drink, relax and start your vacay on SB.  This is my favorite part of the cruise 🙂

I agree with Rapahel--try to embark around 12 noon. Planning to embark at 12 noon always works for us.  Go directly to the Colonnade and choose a table outside on the deck.  There is a buffet, but you need to also know that there is a menu you can order from.  It's a short menu and I don't remember everything on it.  But, we try to start our cruise with a healthy meal, so we order the salmon and veggies off of the menu---and of course a glass of wine or two.  If you want to try the buffet for that first lunch, it is great too.  Generally, there will be an announcement during your lunch saying that all the suites are ready--then you can proceed to your suite.  On our last cruise, there was a delay following lunch---so that can happen,  We just proceeded to the pool deck and had a drink and then to the TK Grill to confirm our reservation for that evening.  Nothing better than that first few hours on a new cruise.  I am so envious.  You are going to have a great time.  

Don't forget to try tea at 4pm in the Observation Bar.  In addition to tea, there are tea sandwiches (my favorites are the cucumber/cream cheese) and lots of other bites if you re interested.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raphael360 said:

I don't think so.  This is served as a TK event in the Colonnades and Mr. K is a stickler about take away.

Yep!

And you won't get it on the new ships as, so we were told by Maitre d', they don't have the TK specified fryer (frier??, sorry my English slips spelling this word!) on Encore and Ovation.So they don't serve it. Situation may have changed since we were on Ovation? 

raphael360 and SLSD- my plan is to do exactly what you recommended. We always try to get to a cruise on the early side, relax outside with a couple of drinks, and have a leisurely lunch.  Also, thanks for the tip about a menu at the buffet, I would not have known to ask for that as a newbie to Seabourn.

2 hours ago, islandchick said:

raphael360 and SLSD- my plan is to do exactly what you recommended. We always try to get to a cruise on the early side, relax outside with a couple of drinks, and have a leisurely lunch.  Also, thanks for the tip about a menu at the buffet, I would not have known to ask for that as a newbie to Seabourn.

Once in your suite, you can ask your stewardess for extra hangers if you need them. Also, if your bar choices have not been delivered or are not correct, do not hesitate to ask for what you ordered--along with the mixers.  (We never even opened our bottles of liquour on our last cruise, but it is nice to have them.)  

Making a reservation for Colonnades? Is this new (we’ve never booked before) or is it just for the TK night/chicken? And how difficult is it to get a meal at Earth and Ocean? Will we be ok if we go late (say 8pm)rather than early?

5 hours ago, claranda said:

Making a reservation for Colonnades? Is this new (we’ve never booked before) or is it just for the TK night/chicken? And how difficult is it to get a meal at Earth and Ocean? Will we be ok if we go late (say 8pm)rather than early?

On our last SB cruise (Sojourn Kobe to Vancouver) there were just certain nights that a reservation in the Colonnade was required.  As I recall it was the rib night and the fried chicken night. 

5 hours ago, claranda said:

Yes it's just for the TK special nights and I'm not entirely sure why they require reservations but we have never yet failed to get one, the Colonnade is large enough for the people who want the special, as far as I can tell. 

Earth and Ocean. On our cruise, which was nice and sunny and great weather for outdoors it filled up within 30 minutes of opening, however people ate and left and freed up tables so if you want to go closer to 8, you probably can. I would suggest just asking the host what a good time to arrive would be, they pretty much know how demand ebbs and flows and will help you to find a table. 

8 hours ago, rols said:

Yes it's just for the TK special nights and I'm not entirely sure why they require reservations but we have never yet failed to get one, the Colonnade is large enough for the people who want the special, as far as I can tell. 

Earth and Ocean. On our cruise, which was nice and sunny and great weather for outdoors it filled up within 30 minutes of opening, however people ate and left and freed up tables so if you want to go closer to 8, you probably can. I would suggest just asking the host what a good time to arrive would be, they pretty much know how demand ebbs and flows and will help you to find a table. 

This was our experience too, when we were on Ovation on a similar itinerary to Rols last December/January. 

We prefer to dine later so we would arrive between 8.15 and 8.30pm and never had a problem finding a table (for two). 

Not sure how it will work on the O class ships though as I believe there are fewer tables (can anyone who has been on both ship classes please clarify?). Will update about the O class ships after our Holiday cruise on Sojourn.

Do you think the Earth and Ocean option will be available on our upcoming Alaska Cruise this week? I’m hoping for at least One nice day but if it’s Cold and drizzling I’m ok with that to as it’s been Very Hott in Ga this summer and fall!🤭

11 hours ago, BuckGood said:

Do you think the Earth and Ocean option will be available on our upcoming Alaska Cruise this week? I’m hoping for at least One nice day but if it’s Cold and drizzling I’m ok with that to as it’s been Very Hott in Ga this summer and fall!🤭

I think chances are really good that Earth and Ocean will be available to you as it was on our cruise (which included Alaska) in late May/early June.