Changing Mariner levels on B2B?

AryMay

In checking our Mariner status, I see that my DH and I are each just 7 days away from "graduating" from the 2 star to 3 star level. In November we have booked two back to back week long Caribbean cruises. The cruises were offered as two 7-day sailings or a combined 14-day cruise...we booked the latter.

Will we be moved up to the new level at the end of the first week or will we wait until our next booking? The perks gained between the two levels don't seem significant, but I was just curious how this works since we are booked as a single cruise.

We had the same situation sometime ago.  We did get bumped up on the second leg, BUT we were proactive about it.  I called Mariner Society before departure to request the status change.  They said they'd put a note on our booking.  A day or so before the end of the first leg, we went to Guest Services onboard and told them we were looking forward to the status change, and asked should we expect new key cards.  Naturally, they found no record on our booking regarding our discussion with Mariner Society, but they were helpful nonetheless.  We received new key cards and our new Mariner status! 

AryMay, we asked our TA to contact the Mariners Society on our behalf.  She wrote a letter, and we received their positive response.  We will need to go to Guest Services when we board, with their letter, to let them know that our status will change after the first segment.  So it definitely is worth it to be proactive.

My roll call friends were booked on a B2B (not a collectors which is what you have booked) and were able to be bumped up.  They contacted the Mariners Society before they left (and I recommend you do the same) who did confirm for them.  They also took a printout of their Mariner list of days so that it could be confirmed they just needed the sea days to get to the next level.

I know it has been done when there are 2 different cruises booked, but have not heard of it happening when it is booked as a collectors’ cruise (one voyage).  When you call the Mariners’ Society be sure you advise them you are on a collectors and ask.

In the case of a true B2B, you have completed a cruise as per the Mariner rules to qualify for the next level at the end of the 7 days.  In the case of a Collectors’ cruise you don’t complete your cruise until the end of your cruise (14 days).

4 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I know that if you do book a Collectors Cruise, you will not get your new Mariner status.  Had friends who were told that they had to wait until they booked another cruise.

KK is right!!

On our last 30 day cruise mid point we became 4 Star Mariners! In our room we received our pins and a nice card. Was told we could on our next cruise have the and receive the 4 Star status.

Denise😊

23 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

On our last 30 day cruise mid point we became 4 Star Mariners! In our room we received our pins and a nice card. Was told we could on our next cruise have the and receive the 4 Star status.

Were you on two successive cruises, whether back to back or Collectors, though? Or were you on one long cruise? 
If you were on one long cruise, or the last portion of successive cruises, when you reached the new status, then there was no 'next' cruise for you to receive any benefits on. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Were you on two successive cruises, whether back to back or Collectors, though? Or were you on one long cruise? 
If you were on one long cruise, or the last portion of successive cruises, when you reached the new status, then there was no 'next' cruise for you to receive any benefits on. 

Hi Ruth!

It was a round trip South America cruise and I thought the same thing as well as my PCC! Unfortunately when we went to talk to someone at the front desk and our PCC spoke to them the answer was no🙄

We only needed 6 days into cruise to become 4 star.It wasn’t a collectors cruise.

Denise😊

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

We had the same situation sometime ago.  We did get bumped up on the second leg, BUT we were proactive about it.  I called Mariner Society before departure to request the status change.  They said they'd put a note on our booking.  A day or so before the end of the first leg, we went to Guest Services onboard and told them we were looking forward to the status change, and asked should we expect new key cards.  Naturally, they found no record on our booking regarding our discussion with Mariner Society, but they were helpful nonetheless.  We received new key cards and our new Mariner status! 

Thanks! I just called the Mariner Society and got the same response. We are to go to Guest Services when we get on the ship and let them know that we are going to change status at the end of the first week. The representative I talked to said the ship would have to contact the Mariner Society to verify our credits but then we should get the 3 star benefits for the second week.

I notice one of the 3-star benefits is a Welcome Onboard Reception...what exactly is this and when is it held? We have enjoyed the Mariner's luncheon on the past cruises.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AryMay said:

Thanks! I just called the Mariner Society and got the same response. We are to go to Guest Services when we get on the ship and let them know that we are going to change status at the end of the first week. The representative I talked to said the ship would have to contact the Mariner Society to verify our credits but then we should get the 3 star benefits for the second week.

I notice one of the 3-star benefits is a Welcome Onboard Reception...what exactly is this and when is it held? We have enjoyed the Mariner's luncheon on the past cruises.

The Welcome Onboard Reception is to be missed! Sparkly wine, orange juice and nuts!  Normally at about 2pm on embarkation day, so you have to rush off for the Safety Briefing/Muster Drill, before sailing.

Sometimes the Welcome Onboard Receptions can be quite lively -- but usually for a longer cruise, as people are in quite an excited meet-and-greet mood for the long voyage.  Even on a shorter cruise, the champagne flows freely and it is a nice kick-off to the cruise.  

We have never been invited to a second Welcome Reception when on a back-to-back cruise.  It really is just a welcome when boarding the ship for the first time.  If anyone else has had a different experience, I'm sure they'll chime in.

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

The Welcome Onboard Reception is to be missed! Sparkly wine, orange juice and nuts!  Normally at about 2pm on embarkation day, so you have to rush off for the Safety Briefing/Muster Drill, before sailing.

Amen.  Time is better used to unpack, explore the ship, and make Specialty Restaurant reservations.

We're about seven points shy of 4-star.  We're booked for the 77-day Grand South America/Antarctic on the ms Volendam in Jan 2020.  We believe that we will awarded our 4-star about a week after we sail.

Just to get a head start, among other reasons, we're mulling over doing a B2B on the Volendam in December 2019 for 16 days so that we'll become 4-star on the start of the 77-day cruise.

Edited by Oak Hill Cruisers