River Cruise Liquor Packages

BruceOhio

Hi, we will be sailing Viking (Basel-Amsterdam) but this question probably applies to any cruise line.   Viking includes wine/beer at lunch/dinner but no other alcohol unless you purchase a "package" for $160 pp I believe.  Otherwise you pay as you go.    This isn't a Caribbean cruise so my sense is that we will not be on the ship drinking that much (outside the dinner hr) so pay as you go is probably the best choice.    My calculation was if drinks are say $10 a drink and if we each average 2 drinks per day that amounts to $140 pp vs the $160 with the package. Sorry sounds trivial but just asking...

Thanks

I guess the main thing depends on how much you drink.  We sailed Avalon, they also have free flowing wine & beer for lunch & dinner, and would fill you up before you left the dining room so you could go to the lounge after (or sun deck, or room).  During the port talk they had a happy hour where drinks were 1/2 price.  Drinks were quite reasonable - we had 2 beer the day we sailed by the castles, and I think it came to $8.00 CDN (as per my cc statement).  Can't drink for that at home!

Usually you are on tour in the morning, then sometimes just free time in the after noon to wander around the town or there will be an optional tour, so unless you really wish to remain on board, you don't spend much time on the ship until dinner time, except for the day you cruise through the middle Rhine.  We went Amsterdam to Basel, and on the first day of cruising we arrived at Colonge around lunch time, but not sure if you will have any more going the other way.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 12:00 PM, BruceOhio said:

Hi, we will be sailing Viking (Basel-Amsterdam) but this question probably applies to any cruise line.   Viking includes wine/beer at lunch/dinner but no other alcohol unless you purchase a "package" for $160 pp I believe.  Otherwise you pay as you go.    This isn't a Caribbean cruise so my sense is that we will not be on the ship drinking that much (outside the dinner hr) so pay as you go is probably the best choice.    My calculation was if drinks are say $10 a drink and if we each average 2 drinks per day that amounts to $140 pp vs the $160 with the package. Sorry sounds trivial but just asking...

Thanks

I agree with your assessment - pay as you go. You will be off the ship for most of your days and you can purchase spirits of choice ashore and bring them back onboard (unlike ocean cruises).

• Like 1

Pay as you go and buy something for your cabin for a nightcap - that's what we did on Avalon. Oh - and 1/2 price happy hour (which meant German draft beer for €2.50 I think). But I like wine with meals (and husband likes wine or beer). We brought ingredients for Manhattans and that's what we had for nightcaps in the cabin, and brought on board local wine & beer we bought in port.....

Viking is very generous with wine and beer at meals, and are happy to "top you off" before leaving the dining room. Like wise, you are welcome to bring your own beverages on board, and they will be happy to provide glasses and ice.  Pay as you go drinks are very reasonable - prices were very similar to what we would pay at a hometown restaurant/bar.  

Unless you prefer higher end spirits or wine you,  would most likely would need to consume 3 drinks on average a day - and both cabin guests must purchase the package. 

• Like 1

All good points to consider... We aren't heavy drinkers, but bought the package on our trip a few years ago, and enjoyed the improved wine selection at dinner, drinks at the pre-dinner talks, and at the lounge after dinner.  Also, one point to consider that we noticed on Viking was although tea and coffee was available during the day at no charge, they did charge for soft drinks.  

We are glad that we purchased the package, and will do so on our next trip.

Worth noting, too, that the included beer is limited to Bitburger -- which is very decent but it's something you may tire of before the week is out. Similarly, there was one red and one white available (a blend and a dry Riesling, if I recall) that did not change during the trip. I was glad to try different wines most nights. 

I received multiple answers from the Viking customer service reps prior to my trip about what was included in the beverage package (all wines? all spirits?). Once I was on board, I found that certain bottles of wine were not included but every spirit (including the high end single-malt whiskies) was included. 

25 minutes ago, 3rdCoastFan said:

Worth noting, too, that the included beer is limited to Bitburger -- which is very decent but it's something you may tire of before the week is out. Similarly, there was one red and one white available (a blend and a dry Riesling, if I recall) that did not change during the trip. I was glad to try different wines most nights. 

...snip....

Only Bitburger, that is boring. One could consider it local - it is brewed in the Eifel region North of the Moselle. But it is quite hoppy. There are many more that are good and come from smaller breweries. Koblenzer for example, but the Kölsch beers of Cologne and the Alt beer of Düsseldorf are also worth a try.

If buying the package gives you access to them it might be worth considering. Especially if this also means you get more regional wines.

While one can get those drinks in local shops I would certainly prefer them being served to me than having to look for them on shop shelves.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

OP says going Viking so I'd mention that if familiar with what most ocean cruises charge for a 'drink package' Vik' (river and ocean) is a bargain ....

and as previously mentioned if for no other reason but to offer options to the 'included' beer/wine choice, we find it worth doing

don't forget you don't HAVE to buy ahead of time and can buy on board even after first day (but it will not be retroactive for drinks already bought 'off package' ... you can buy on say day 3 for remainder of your time)

I suggest you wait till you arrive on board and ask to see the Silver Package list onboard that ship.  

For wine lovers I think there's a clue in the name Silver Spirits. 

Although the website says the package lets you "enjoy unlimited premium wine", it's clearly not unlimited as the best wines on the list are excluded from the package.

I've found - with one cruise exception - that the house wines are good, specially  Erhard Morwald's wine from Austria. They're included and they are poured very generously. Champagne is not included. The fizz that they call (illegally in the EU) 'champagne' is medium sweet German Sekt, which I found undrinkable. 

This year, on the first day Viking had a cheese and wine tasting with about dozen wines from the Silver Spirits package, there was no selling and you just went to counter and they poured a generous glass of whatever and how many you wanted. Reception quoted a Silver Spirits price considerably cheaper than buying it in advance. 

And you are welcome to bring your own wines, wine you've bought in wineries you visit or in wine shops along the way. 

Both people in your cabin must buy the package. 

I'm not a cocktail, beer or spirit drinker, but a wine lover and I didn't feel the package offered me value. 

On 9/18/2019 at 10:01 AM, pontac said:

Reception quoted a Silver Spirits price considerably cheaper than buying it in advance. 

I was VERY surprised to see this...has anyone else experienced a reduction in SS package once onboard?  I will definitely wait to purchase.  Maybe it is the difference between US and UK?