Port Botany cruise terminal

Chiliburn

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Interesting.

There’s the money it injects into Sydney also the pacific islands economy.

I was listening to a bit about the conflict Islands how because of visiting cruise ships they have been encouraged to preserve their reefs.Other wise they would plunder the reef.

The Conflict Islands are privately owned by an Australian. He has done a deal with Carnival Corp for their ships to visit. Proceeds are going towards a turtle research and conservation facility on the island. Access to the beautiful reefs there is well controlled. Best snorkeling I've ever done is there and, unlike other islands,  its in a spot where snorkelers can't walk on the coral.

30 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

The Conflict Islands are privately owned by an Australian. He has done a deal with Carnival Corp for their ships to visit. Proceeds are going towards a turtle research and conservation facility on the island. Access to the beautiful reefs there is well controlled. Best snorkeling I've ever done is there and, unlike other islands,  its in a spot where snorkelers can't walk on the coral.

I thought he was a pomie 

He does sound like a fabulous man,made his money through mining,oil and gas in the area.

He wants to reinvest a lot of money into the area.

I would like to hear more about him.

15 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I thought he was a pomie 

He does sound like a fabulous man,made his money through mining,oil and gas in the area.

I think he is an Aussie, based in the UK, so you are possibly both right.

8 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I thought he was a pomie 

Definitely an Aussie. From memory he grew up on a property in Western NSW and made is fortune in mining companies in Africa. He gave two talks about himself and the islands on the Noordam when I was on a PNG cruise in January. A very interesting bloke. He looks amazing for his age, he's 70 something, I think, but looks about 50. No bag of fruit for him at the talks. Shorts, colourful Conflict Island T shirt and sockless sailors' shoes.

https://www.cici.net.au/about

https://www.yourinvestmentpropertymag.com.au/success-stories/ian-gowriesmith-from-farm-boy-to-highflying-investor-191502.aspx

8 hours ago, gbenjo said:

I am more concerned about the pilots wind problems 😱  and those damn Chinese hackers .🤔This could  potentially destroy the cruise industry?????????  As Pauline Hanson said....  Please explain

I suppose the wind issues may be a lot worse if they had the fish with beans.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

A beautiful place to visit and snorkle

4 hours ago, gbenjo said:

You are joking aren't you??    Whats next ..convert  the Opera House into a cruise terminal.

No I am not joking. Have you taken a look at the map and history of the place? It is a former naval base and wharf where the Oberon class submarines were docked in Sydney. There is nothing heritage listed about it. Now comparing a former naval dock to the Sydney Opera House that really is stretching the realms of credibility.

There is a single access road to the dock that links directly to the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The location of the ex-HMAS Platypus site is ideal. The only obstacle would have been about up to 8 properties in the vicinity of the north entrance gate to the site. Acquire all the properties on the corner of High and Hipwood streets and possibly another property on Kiara close and then you have access to the site sufficient for coaches and delivery trucks and tourists. Once the roads are cleared there is enough room on the existing space of the site to berth and operate cruise ships that it would have no impact on the neighbours.

The site is the former naval base that based submarines and most of the technology used around them was classified "Top Secret" and the government would have gone out of its way to make sure the site was out of the line of sight of residents so that no national security secrets could be exposed by residing close to the base. That means it is private and the barriers around it would keep such a site secure for immigration and customs as well as keeping it private for residents.

It would work but it is clearly not to be. 

Really... comparing a former naval submarine wharf to the Opera House 🙄

1 hour ago, Brisbane41 said:

No I am not joking. Have you taken a look at the map and history of the place? It is a former naval base and wharf where the Oberon class submarines were docked in Sydney. There is nothing heritage listed about it. Now comparing a former naval dock to the Sydney Opera House that really is stretching the realms of credibility.

There is a single access road to the dock that links directly to the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The location of the ex-HMAS Platypus site is ideal. The only obstacle would have been about up to 8 properties in the vicinity of the north entrance gate to the site. Acquire all the properties on the corner of High and Hipwood streets and possibly another property on Kiara close and then you have access to the site sufficient for coaches and delivery trucks and tourists. Once the roads are cleared there is enough room on the existing space of the site to berth and operate cruise ships that it would have no impact on the neighbours.

The site is the former naval base that based submarines and most of the technology used around them was classified "Top Secret" and the government would have gone out of its way to make sure the site was out of the line of sight of residents so that no national security secrets could be exposed by residing close to the base. That means it is private and the barriers around it would keep such a site secure for immigration and customs as well as keeping it private for residents.

It was a  joke Joyce......whereas it would appear that your comments were serious..oh well

1 hour ago, Brisbane41 said:

Thousands of people and supply trucks trying to get through on one road from the Harbour Bridge through a residential area? I can see why the government baulked at it. 

Also, it might sound nice and easy to compulsorily acquire people’s property, but having represented several victims of such resumption by government I can tell you that they don’t always see the benefit of it. 

Edited by Toryhere

13 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Graham do you have a twin brother to work at port botany cruise port?

Like I thinking of that movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito.

And your not big Arnold 

Well they sport similar hair cuts anyway.

21 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

Newcastle Port has a lease to Chinese part owners. Issue with the construction of the cruise terminal is the cost associated with it being asked for by the port.

The reason for the costs being asked for is the fact that 25 metres needs to be hacked out of the banks in the area to increase the size of the ships that can use the port beyond the 240M current limit. It's not so much the cost as the fact that such a project is not viable considering current construction.