Port Botany cruise terminal

Chiliburn

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I think it’s more than hippies,nobody wants it there the locals ,cruise passengers,tourist industry.

Not hippies nIMBY

Not

In

My 

Back 

Yard

the problem is if not Port botany, Where???

Bit of a sweeping generalisation... I've heard many in support of Botany Bay, including from the cruise industry, and cruise passengers.

The local councils are against it, but that's just a stance they've taken (which they're entitled to), not surveyed the community. And given Botany port is an industrial area, not sure what their views are, but they probably won't mind as long as it doesn't disrupt their operations.

On 10/8/2019 at 10:55 AM, GUT2407 said:

Yeah but Benjo managed to lose the Red Carpet for the spethshial people like I is.

You Royal Caribbean/Celebrity cruisers had better chip in for another red carpet then, extra length from Sydney Airport to Port Botany Cruise Terminal.

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Not hippies nIMBY

Not

In

My 

Back 

Yard

the problem is if not Port botany, Where???

They could cut a canal from Sydney Harbour to Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra, plenty of ACT cruisers like Mic and company would use it.

29 minutes ago, NSWP said:

They could cut a canal from Sydney Harbour to Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra, plenty of ACT cruisers like Mic and company would use it.

We need a set of locks to get up the clyde, but from there it is easy sailing.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

A sail by from Acton Wharf that takes in National Museum, Floriade, the Old and New Parliament Houses, National Library, War Memorial and the big syringe!

Only need to rsise the height of Kings Avenue and Commonwealth Ave bridges by about 50m!

Edited by banzaii

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

You coming on Saturday to ACT Cruisers - drinks at the Yacht club? 3pm if you want to come along.

I'll have to see what my site foreperson has in mind for me.  It would be nice to say gday!

• 1 month later...

don't under stand why they would want to destroy botany bay for a cruise ship terminal .. if they dredge that area , so much toxins would pollute the whole bay.. it will kill whats left there.. dolphins visit yarra bay , seals have a spot there, seahorse's live there and 16 types found no where else .. its just recovered for anglers to fish it  kids swim there family's swim there and not to mention the rock pool

.. these cruise ships on one hand want to take you to beautiful places and on the other hand destroy some for  there back pockets...  if you love Australia and the beauty of it you would say no to this stupid idea …  there is no way I would sail anymore with royal carribean if this goes thru ..  id find a ship that goes directly to syd harbor not botany bay

23 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

don't under stand why they would want to destroy botany bay for a cruise ship terminal .. if they dredge that area , so much toxins would pollute the whole bay.. it will kill whats left there.. dolphins visit yarra bay , seals have a spot there, seahorse's live there and 16 types found no where else .. its just recovered for anglers to fish it  kids swim there family's swim there and not to mention the rock pool

.. these cruise ships on one hand want to take you to beautiful places and on the other hand destroy some for  there back pockets...  if you love Australia and the beauty of it you would say no to this stupid idea …  there is no way I would sail anymore with royal carribean if this goes thru ..  id find a ship that goes directly to syd harbor not botany bay

Welcome to cruise critic in rod we trust.

I can understand your feelings but I think it’s the buck$ .Thats all their interested in.

1 hour ago, in rod we trust said:

Why do you single out Royal Caribbean.......the terminal will be built by Sydney Ports and used by all cruise lines???  But don't worry ..if the greenies , vegans, climate change activists don't want it ....it will not go ahead....minority nutters win again.

2 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Why do you single out Royal Caribbean.......the terminal will be built by Sydney Ports and used by all cruise lines???  But don't worry ..if the greenies , vegans, climate change activists don't want it ....it will not go ahead....minority nutters win again.

2 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Graham,

obviously in rod we trust hasn’t heard about the water slide from the airport .

4 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

Welcome to cruise critic.

Not sure they need to dredge the are as it is already a deep water if the dock is built eco friendly. In any case, I am not sure anyone will be allowing botany bay to be ruined any more than what it is now.

thanks for the welcome all

ill try answer all the above in one post ...

yes its all about the big bucks and  greed plus maybe a job for one of the politicians  down the line who approves it .. like most things they approve someone of them always get a high earning cushy job..

I target royal carribean as they are the only ones calling for it and have mentioned they will put some funds towards it  they want to dock there 5000+ passenger mega ships there …  

as for dredging it has to be done the water depth at yarra bay  or molli point isn't deep enough for these massive ships there is also artificial reefs that will have to be ripped up  most of it will have to be dredge and will have to keep being dredge due to the being so close to the heads , there will have to be another break wall  built as the swells there can reach and have reach 2 mtrs in summer the average is about 1 mtr  during  summer winds …  the dredging of that area is very dangerous due to the toxins that have settled over time on the bottom.  

and lets face it who wants to come in to botany bay and see container terminals and a cemetery as you come thru to dock  … the bay has been raped already has just come back to life with dolphins visits , seals , albatross birds and sea horse life not to mention the fishing has just recovered after the port expansion ….  there are better option than destroying a whole bay  for royal carribean greed .. I will never travel with royal carribean again unless they drop this proposal and neither will my cruise friends .. we love Australia its one of the best places in the world to live and should not destroy it for big companies like royal carribean .. im going to boycott them so are my other friends and go with another cruise company this yr …. cheers and thanks all happy cruising ..

In rod we trust ,I can agree with all your thoughts.

From what I understand it has to be dredged and there’s some submarine pipes and cable which have to be moved

It’s  a big project and Sydney is growing and it needs more port space.

‘The first settlers didn’t like the look of port botany so why would overseas traveler like it

17 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

here is  a small vid 

Totally agree that Garden Island is, and should be, the preferred option for a third terminal but sadly the usually political bastardry takes over from commonsense. The Libs obviously have their reasons( ???- $$$) do not want to go there.  Labor say they want  GI but the way they are going will not be back in power in the near future to do anything about it.  If the cruise industry is to keep growing in Sydney ( the whole industry, not just that greedy Royal Caribbean lot) a third terminal is needed asap and I am sure that sufficient ecological consideration will be engaged to prevent the whole of Botany Bay from becoming a desolate wasteland that the "locals" are suggesting..... It's called progress.

So a report by Peter Colins on the cruise industry was leaked .

The preferred opinion is still Garden island.

Theres even talk of developing the eastern side of the peninsula of the navy base and use the container terminal as a temporary .

18 opinions were presented But the most prevailing is Garden Island.

I am starting to think that maybe the Botany Bay " option" may be furfy to bring pressure on the Fed govt to approve GI.  Now that Australia' s worst PM  ( and GI neighbour) is no longer around they probably figure they can blow some taxpayers money just to prove their point. Either way we probably will not see another terminal operating for a couple of years minimum, which does not help, but  the cruiselines should be able to work around it short term. Realistically, the third terminal is really only needed for a couple of months a year anyway and with Brisbane,and to some extent Melbourne, taking some of the pressure off Sydney and cruise schedules pretty much in place for a couple years,it's not that critical.