Master thread of St. Petersburg advice and recommendations from cruisers who've been!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nok977 said:

Question for frequent visitors: read recently that a regular Uber app does not work in Russia, only a kind of local edition. Is it correct? I wonder if I can still use my Uber account in this case or not. 

The old Uber app (the standard international) no longer works in Russia. Uber sold out to Yandex awhile ago. You can either download the Yandex, Gett or Uber Russia app- all are easy to use. I installed the Uber RU app while in Russia - I couldn't install in while in the states.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.yandex.uber

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 9:10 PM, Nok977 said:

Cheers everyone, 

maybe you are already aware, but if not, here are some good news. I found this link on the Best Guides' FB page: https://www.stl.news/russia-will-launch-online-visa-program-in-2021/325197/?fbclid=IwAR1U9msIg4TneFwTdP2JUNCTDdHm40U7GRUr28kzLQ7-khJ53AX8rofVXzA
As far as I understood the program existed earlier but had some restrictions which are now gone. 

Yes, earlier the electronic visa was valid only for St.Petersburg and two more regions and now it will cover all Russia. Actually there are 53 countries included in this program but unfortunately USA and GB aren't among them. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Nok977 said:

Oh really? What a shame (( Hopefully USA can be added in the next round, if the program proves its success

I wouldn't hold my breath. An educated assumption based on past practices between the US and Russian Federation ... this will not happen unless there is reciprocity for Russian nationals in acquiring a tourist visa to visit the USA. Tit for tat. 

Edited by dogs4fun
1 minute ago, Nok977 said:

True. This is a little bit sad, isn't it? Although I have no clue how hard is it for a Russian to obtain a US Visa, I assume it might be quite complicated. Well, it is as it is... We still have tour companies to help us out

The US visa application for Russian nationals is about as cumbersome as the Russian visa application for US nationals.  However, if you are anticipating a trip to Russia, you can apply for a 3 year visa & you will be able to visit multiple times over a 3 year period. Makes sense to procure a visa - especially since you have some unusual things you would like to do in Russia (like taking the Red Arrow to Moscow, which sounds very interesting). Honestly, applying for a Russian visa may be cumbersome but it is not that difficult. 😎

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Nok977 said:

I am a big fan of travelling, Russia is beyond any doubt  one of the countries I would love to visit, and probably not just once, but there are many other places around the globe I want to go to. 

Totally understand - I also love to travel.  I add my trips to Russia onto my yearly jaunts to Europe (unfortunately, no trips this year). For example, last year I visited Italy & Germany and then flew to Russia from Germany. Hence, no need for multiple transatlantic flights (which I absolutely detest). :classic_angry:

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone! Question to those who've been: do you agree with this list? https://pradiz.com/blog/5-dos-donts-st-petersburg/

Anything you would like to add? 🙂 

Never heard about this tour company, not sure it was ever mentioned here, but their website looks cool and this particular blog inspires me to make best of the best out of our private tour 🙂  

Edited by Fran2020
spelling