Premium Plus Drink Package - Is it worth it?

PopcornDK

My wife and me will be on the Seaside for a seven day cruise next year. We are booked in an Aurea Balcony stateroom.

We currently have the Easy drink package included in the Aurea experience, and are now looking in to upgrading it. However, I am having a hard time figuring out, if the Premium or the Premium Plus will give us the best value.

Neither of us are in to the finer spirits. My wife enjoys a good glass of wine, and loves cocktails, while I am an avid beer lover and none of us is in to champagne.

As I understand it, Room service is already included in the Aurea experience, so that part of the Plus package is already covered, but what about the mini bar?

Based on the above, I am having a hard time seeing that we will get any value out of the Premium Plus package, compared to the Premium package. Am I missing something?

Sounds like Premium will be perfect for you!

As an FYI ... Aurea only covers the room service - not the cost of the food items on the menu (except for Continental breakfast).  The mini-bar is only included for those with PremiumPlus or in Yacht Club.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Thanks 1

I will differ and say stay with the included Easy.  The cost to upgrade to Premium on US sailings is now too high.  If the Wife is unhappy with the Easy package wines, which aren't too bad, there are reasonable wine packages that are a better deal than paying that much for the Premium package.  The beer selection stinks with Easy, at least you know it.   But the beer prices on the ship are fairly reasonable, unless OP is a serious beer drinker he would have a hard time drinking enough to justify the Premium package cost.  Pick up a few unopened beers at bars and keep them in your minibar.

Edited by Até
  • Thanks 1

Stick with what you have!  MSC really lacks in their bar services and we found it very hard to even 'pay' for our drinks!  Servers are no where to be found and you must join a long line of people at the bars to get a drink.

I think they have cut back on the services as everyone has an 'all inclusive' drink package of some sort.

Just my .2 

• Thanks 1

We were on the Seaside last October and found the bar service to be good, generally. Bar service at the Aurea Solarium was usually good, but if lots of people were ordering drinks at the same time, it might take a bit (I'm talking ~3-5 minutes). Bar service when we were at dinner was very good, as was service in the buffet areas. The Champagne bar was the best, it was never crowded and the bartender was excellent. 

• Thanks 1

These questions are subjective but directly linked to your drinking habits and preferences.

Time ago I equated the drinks package choice akin to the cabin/experience selection, albeit far less an economic decision!

For me its the plus all day long (even more when you had the old deluxe offerings!), because I like a drink on vacation, not only a mere drink as in like a 'wino' but a quality drink, with no real restrictions (there will always be something though!) and anywhere including the convenience of the room without splashing the expensive carpets en route!

The top drinks package is my YC ...I don't want some bloke unpacking my undies and certainly not Mrs Franks 😉

I like mixing aboard and seeing everyone who is sailing, its the best free activity at sea, but that's my preference and I am an advocate of the YC offering with MSC as I understand it's appeal ....so many people can't be wrong can they.

So for some Plus definitely has its place and that would be my route.

But this is another example of cc opinions ...They are fantastic, diverse, usually supported by the originators personal and honest thoughts and of course valuable ...BUT some things you just have to do what is best for you and that may mean moving away from the majority!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Go for the one in the middle, whatever it’s called these days.The Easy package is very restrictive.

With the mid-range one you will be able to have virtually everything you want, and not restricted to draught Heineken.

Cheers! John.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, citizenfrank said:

These questions are subjective but directly linked to your drinking habits and preferences.

Time ago I equated the drinks package choice akin to the cabin/experience selection, albeit far less an economic decision!

For me its the plus all day long (even more when you had the old deluxe offerings!), because I like a drink on vacation, not only a mere drink as in like a 'wino' but a quality drink, with no real restrictions (there will always be something though!) and anywhere including the convenience of the room without splashing the expensive carpets en route!

The top drinks package is my YC ...I don't want some bloke unpacking my undies and certainly not Mrs Franks 😉

I like mixing aboard and seeing everyone who is sailing, its the best free activity at sea, but that's my preference and I am an advocate of the YC offering with MSC as I understand it's appeal ....so many people can't be wrong can they.

So for some Plus definitely has its place and that would be my route.

But this is another example of cc opinions ...They are fantastic, diverse, usually supported by the originators personal and honest thoughts and of course valuable ...BUT some things you just have to do what is best for you and that may mean moving away from the majority!   

Well said, Mr. Franks. When we booked the Seaside, it had only just begun to sail, and had I relied on the nearly universally negative reviews, we never would have gone in the first place. I was glad I trusted my inner voice "a cruise is what you make of it," because we had an amazing time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1