Sommeliers / Beverage Package / Tips

ochealaaf

3 hours ago, Clutj said:

Found it; 10% off, if Silver level.  Thanks.

FYI, a couple benefits of the Oceania package that I haven't seen mentioned are that they are no caps on $ value of drinks.  Some lines cover only $14  per drink and below, and so a $18 drink still costs $4.  Also, the gratuity (18%) is included in the $60, whereas other lines are $60+18%.  And if you regularly add (or want to start a new trend) a post dinner port or similar glass w dessert or cheese, which I really like to do, that makes both the experience and the value.  Also, I did the package once and didn't find any restrictions, even on the XO cognac that goes for $150 a bottle retail (I don't recall shot cost on the boat, $35?).

I read  here that some scotches & Cognacs in Polo are not on the package 

we never get a package  so I cannot confirm that

1 hour ago, agnesd said:

I am assuming that mixed drinks are part of the Prestige pkg.?

yes they are included

House select  Package  is just wine/champagne  by the glass & beer  with lunch & dinner

17 hours ago, Clutj said:

Found it; 10% off, if Silver level.  Thanks.

FYI, a couple benefits of the Oceania package that I haven't seen mentioned are that they are no caps on $ value of drinks.  Some lines cover only $14  per drink and below, and so a $18 drink still costs $4.  Also, the gratuity (18%) is included in the $60, whereas other lines are $60+18%.  And if you regularly add (or want to start a new trend) a post dinner port or similar glass w dessert or cheese, which I really like to do, that makes both the experience and the value.  Also, I did the package once and didn't find any restrictions, even on the XO cognac that goes for $150 a bottle retail (I don't recall shot cost on the boat, $35?).

You got a nice bartender. Or perhaps the X O that you had is on the list I posted. The rule is that the drinks on the bar menu and Martini menu are on the package. I've asked for single malts in Horizons that are off limits on the package. Here is the bar menu for anyone interested. 

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Menus/1694/Bar-Menu.pdf

I just looked at the Beverage package information page in my Blue Book and it states; Spirits from the Bar & Martinis menu, exceptions apply. Bottles of wine, Specialty restaurant spirits, and Sake excluded. 

Hello. I'm an Oceania newbie, and I'm rapidly learning that there are significant differences between the lines I'm familiar with and Oceania. Also, the website is not terribly helpful for a newbie.

I've learned in another thread that the Blue Book has lots of information often found on the websites of other lines. Would someone who has a Blue Book please post a photo of the page that explains what is included in the beverage packages? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance. 

On 10/29/2019 at 12:52 PM, ORV said:

I just looked at the Beverage package information page in my Blue Book and it states; Spirits from the Bar & Martinis menu, exceptions apply. Bottles of wine, Specialty restaurant spirits, and Sake excluded. 

Are you saying that you can't use the Prem Bev Package for the drinks in the Specialty Restaurants ? That you have to pay for them even though you have the package?  This is the first I've heard of that.

31 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

Are you saying that you can't use the Prem Bev Package for the drinks in the Specialty Restaurants ? That you have to pay for them even though you have the package?  This is the first I've heard of that.

Of course not.   A package is a package for all "free" restaurants at lunch and dinner.  J

Perhaps I misunderstood what ORV said when he wrote "Bottles of wine, specialty restaurant spirits and sake excluded." 

Glad to know the PREM beverage package includes the Specialty Restaurants too.  

What he is saying is that the drinks, wines, spirits, etc. listed on the menu in Martinis or the restaurants are included in the package. Red Ginger, for example, offers a separate selection of sakes. Those are not on the bar menu and are an extra cost. The Terrace will sometimes be showcasing special beers or wines not on the menu. They are often not included in the package. Other restaurants likewise occasionally offer spirit specials not included in the package.

35 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

What he is saying is that the drinks, wines, spirits, etc. listed on the menu in Martinis or the restaurants are included in the package. Red Ginger, for example, offers a separate selection of sakes. Those are not on the bar menu and are an extra cost. The Terrace will sometimes be showcasing special beers or wines not on the menu. They are often not included in the package. Other restaurants likewise occasionally offer spirit specials not included in the package.

Exactly, Polo also has a selection of Single Malts not found elsewhere on the ship. They aren't covered by the package. I wish they were. Love me some 21 yr old Balvenie. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 10:52 AM, ORV said:

You got a nice bartender. Or perhaps the X O that you had is on the list I posted. The rule is that the drinks on the bar menu and Martini menu are on the package. I've asked for single malts in Horizons that are off limits on the package. Here is the bar menu for anyone interested. 

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Menus/1694/Bar-Menu.pdf

Strange. I've had no problem getting single malts in Horizons using the premium package. The only place I couldn't get single malts was at Waves Grill. No big deal. Having a single malt with surf and turf sounds awful. :classic_laugh:

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

12 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Strange. I've had no problem getting single malts in Horizons using the premium package. The only place I couldn't get single malts was at Waves Grill. No big deal. Having a single malt with surf and turf sounds awful. :classic_laugh:

It all depends on which single malt you order. I've tried to get Oban in Horizons before, but was not allowed on the package, although it's not any more expensive than the top Macallan that is allowed on the package. With Oceania it's not about the price of the drink. 

The point I'm trying to make is if it isn't on the Bar Menu or Martini menu then technically they are not supposed to serve it to you with the Prestige Package. I'm sure there is quite a bit of slippage through the cracks for various reasons.