DINING ON THE BLISS

bren61

For anyone who has been on the Bliss, I booked Cagneys, Ocean Blue,  Q,  Le Lucina & Le Bistro.  I was curious to see what everyone's favorites are at each of those restaurants, (photos would also be great also if you have them).

We ate at Los Lobos on the Waterfront on the Bliss. Food, service and atmosphere were excellent. We paid a la carte for that meal and shared.

Recently on the Epic we had the SDP and ate at both Le Bistro and La Cucina. We would choose both again on any NCL ship.

Photos are from Le Bistro and Los Lobos.

20190907_141530.jpg

20190907_144610.jpg

20190223_190200.jpg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bren61 said:

For anyone who has been on the Bliss, I booked Cagneys, Ocean Blue,  Q,  Le Lucina & Le Bistro.  I was curious to see what everyone's favorites are at each of those restaurants, (photos would also be great also if you have them).

We dined at all them except for Ocean Blue.  Favorite is LeBistro and Cagneys.

• Like 1

We really didn't like Cagney's Q, or Ocean Blue. Cagney's both the service and the quality of the steaks was substandard. Q the BBQ was nothing special and the music was so loud that we couldn't even communicate with our waiter. Ocean Blue had an odd menu not like any other ship and the food was so-so for an upcharge (back then). Hopefully menu and service updates will make them a memorable experience for you. 

Le Bistro was our favorite followed by Los Lobos (where we ate twice).  

• Like 1

Cagney's - I thought both the grilled salmon with creamed leeks and the surf 'n turf were great.  Jumbo lump crab cake was good as an appetizer.  The OMG cheesecake lived up to its name.

La Cucina - I had the sea bass, some tortellini (I think) and the tira misu was excellent.

Can't say I have a favorite, I've only been on the Bliss once and eaten at Cagney's twice and La Cucina once.

Sorry, no pictures, but I'll get to Q and Le Bistro at the end of October, as well as Cagney's.  I'll try to remember to take pictures.

• Like 1

Thanks to those that replied so far.  To the one who posted pics, do you remember what the dishes were?  I think that if we try Food Replublic we will just get a couple of dishes and not be part of our dining pkg.  

At Cagneys, I was hoping they still had the Ribeye, but I will do the Surf & Turf.

La Cucina - Sauteed shrimp w/ garlic sauce & Fettuccine Alfredo w/ button mushrooms

Ocean Blue - Surf & Turf or Halibut 

Le Bistro - Scallops or Lamb

Q - ?

Let me know if you've had any of these and how they are.

1 hour ago, bren61 said:

Thanks to those that replied so far.  To the one who posted pics, do you remember what the dishes were?  I think that if we try Food Replublic we will just get a couple of dishes and not be part of our dining pkg.  

At Cagneys, I was hoping they still had the Ribeye, but I will do the Surf & Turf.

La Cucina - Sauteed shrimp w/ garlic sauce & Fettuccine Alfredo w/ button mushrooms

Ocean Blue - Surf & Turf or Halibut 

Le Bistro - Scallops or Lamb. 

Q - ?

Let me know if you've had any of these and how they are.

Le Bistro  - lamb is my favorite 

Cagney's  - Surf n Turf is good.   Ribeye is still on the menu 

Q - ribs

• Like 1

On the Bliss last week and dined at La Cucina, Le Bistro, and Cagney's on the SDP plus Food Republic a la carte. The problem is that we all have different preferences and different experiences, so you may just have to pick what sounds good and hope for the best!

• Cagney's: crab cake appetizer and surf & turf entree, no dessert. I was raised in Maryland and thus have certain standards for crab cake; Cagney's succeeded on the lightness of filler and crispiness of edges, but that was not lump crab meat. Still, it was okay. I hated the surf & turf. That was the worst lobster tail I've ever tasted (gave up after two bites - flavor was off, texture was off). The turf part was filet mignon, which was cooked properly but had the usual lack of flavor. I didn't stick around for dessert, and in fact adjourned to the Garden Cafe buffet to get something decent to eat. (ouch)
  • La Cucina: fried calamari appetizer, branzino entree, cannoli dessert. The cannoli filling was a little gritty and the shell a bit too thick, but that's not a major quibble. I still ate it happily. If I sail the Bliss again, I'll be back at La Cucina again.
  • Le Bistro: blue crab salad appetizer, Dover sole entree, profiteroles for dessert. More please.
  • Food Republic: lemon miso black cod skewers, pork belly dumplings. The dumplings were a little weird since I'm used to the traditional ground meat filling and this was more of a shredded pork, but still tasty. The black cod skewers were the single best thing I ate on the ship. I meant to return to FR but never got around to it.

Hopefully I'll be able to get an Ocean Blue reservation next time - I think it and Teppanyaki were booked solid before we left the dock in Seattle.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, coastcat said:

That was the worst lobster tail I've ever tasted (gave up after two bites - flavor was off, texture was off).

That might be because it was shrimp.  When I had it in April it was the filet with 4 shrimp on a skewer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

That might be because it was shrimp.  When I had it in April it was the filet with 4 shrimp on a skewer.

Nope, it was lobster tail in the menu description and lobster tail on the plate (complete with shell). Probably would have been better off if they’d stuck with the shrimp. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 1:34 PM, bren61 said:

I think food tastes are so specific to each and every person; however, I ate at all of those restaurants on my Bliss cruise in April of this year.  I loved every single one of them (food and service).  

They were all so different and unique.  We sat outside at Ocean Blue and La Cucina, and they were lovely experiences.  I can't say I had a bad item at any of those five.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:46 AM, coastcat said:

Nope, it was lobster tail in the menu description and lobster tail on the plate (complete with shell). Probably would have been better off if they’d stuck with the shrimp. 

I  have had the same experience with Lobster on cruise ships. I am not a warm water lobster fan. It isn't the same. I think they serve warm water lobster, the flavor and texture are odd. :)

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 4:34 PM, bren61 said:

My favorite place was Food Republic.  Great views and great food.  After that it was Q and Ocean Blue.  Both were very.   I loved the design of Q and the music was awesome.  Also had Cagney's and it was just ok.  Everything was cooked perfect just very bland.  It was like they didn't season the steaks at all.  

• Like 1

I had a good experience at both Le Bistro and Cagney's.

I had the french onion soup and pork chop in La Bistro that was excellent.

In Cagney's I once again had the pork chop with a ceasar salad that was good also.

The servers in both restaurants were top notch.

I had heard on other boards that the mexican restaurant and the ocean blue restaurants were not that great so I skipped those.

We also had Food Republic as part of our dining package and I can't say that it was that good. I've had better sushi back home. Also had a tough time understanding the server.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sensenigr said:

I think food tastes are so specific to each and every person; however, I ate at all of those restaurants on my Bliss cruise in April of this year.  I loved every single one of them (food and service).  

They were all so different and unique.  We sat outside at Ocean Blue and La Cucina, and they were lovely experiences.  I can't say I had a bad item at any of those five.

Well that is very encouraging, I hope we have the same experience!!  Thank you for your reply.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mbfrenc0586 said:

My favorite place was Food Republic.  Great views and great food.  After that it was Q and Ocean Blue.  Both were very.   I loved the design of Q and the music was awesome.  Also had Cagney's and it was just ok.  Everything was cooked perfect just very bland.  It was like they didn't season the steaks at all.  

I have a favorite Canadian steak seasoning, I may take some with me and either have them use it or just season my own when it is served.