Balcony for norway fjords

Our daughter was on study abroad in Oslo Norway in July and did a weekend in the fjords including a ferry trip.  The photo's are AMAZING.  Just based on that I'd do a balcony cabin if you can afford it:classic_smile:

She was there in July, it was typical Norway temperatures that month - 70's.  She got lucky most of the month was clear and sunny, but they can also get a lot of cloudy wet weather in Norway in the summer.  For what it's worth there are few if any pictures from the month of July where she is wearing a jacket, usually shorts and and short sleeve shirts.

Google the average temperatures for the month you're looking at - only you can decide what is "chilly".

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1

We went in August.  It was cool and rainy.  We had gotten an ocean view room (first time in years we didn’t have a balcony) I wouldn’t have used the balcony at all, so for us it was a great decision.  We were on the Serenade so there were plenty of places to enjoy the views and we spent quite a bit of time by windows. 

I would skip the balcony and save the money for excursions in the awesome ports. I also did Norway on the Serenade in an ocean view. Both in Norway and when I was in Alaska the best place to be is on the top outside deck where you have 360 degree views and can move easily and quickly from side to side. And when it was just too cold or wet we headed for the Viking crown lounge ( or whatever it was called on our ship) for more panaromic views.

We;re looking ahead to a potential trip which includes Norway, Sweden, and other Baltic areas...we can't even fathom the idea of not having a balcony.  Traveling all the way there without a balcony view (along with other views from other ship locations) would seem a huge shortfall in that experience.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your feedback.  We did it!  Yesterday we booked our norway trip for next august on jewel ots.  Instead of spending 1500 to upgrade to balcony from ocean view we decided to book a back to back cruise.  We will do the 8 night baltic cruise out of copenhagen and stay in same ocean view cabin for our 7 night norway fjords cruise.

Excited that my Brother and his wife are going to join us for the baltic cruise.  This will be their first cruise!  

We are really excited and cannot wait to see everything!

We did a b2b in the caribbean before but changed cabins for the 2nd cruise

We were on the serenade for 23 days last january and didnt want to get off!  

The room stewards made the move easy but we had to pack up anything not on a hangar so staying in the same cabin will be nice.

Happy Cruisin'

• Like 1

We did the b2b Arctic Circle and Scandinavia-Russia from Copenhagen in 2018.  It was one of the best cruises we have every taken.  We took it in June and it was cool at the top of the Arctic Circle but hot in Copenhagen.  Finland to Russia was very warm, Estonia warm and Sweden perfect weather.  I am glad I brought a fleece, gloves, and a hat plus a waterproof jacket.  Dress in layers and you will be fine.  You are in for the time of your life.

We did Norway in an inside cabin last year and would get up early and be out on the decks all the time. While it might have been nice to have a balcony, you don't see anything when you are asleep, in a show, at dinner unless near a window, etc. We didn't miss anything. Save the $

Edited by basktchic