In Room Movies Question

quilter49

6 minutes ago, quilter49 said:

We are considering a TransAtlantic on HAL in April. I was wondering if HAL has free in room recent movies and multiple choices like Princess? Or are they like Celebrity where movies cost $15 to watch? Thank you in advance!

The movies are free.  Some ships have on demand TV movies and a few DVD players and DVD’s for rent at no charge.

Which ship are you considering?

On Zuiderdam the last two Septembers, the movie selection wasn't stellar, but did have titles that related to some of the ports we visited. For example, last month on our 12-day Boston to Quebec City voyage via Newfoundland, one of the films was "The Grand Seduction", a PG-13 comedy about (and shot in) a Newfoundland fishing port. It was fun to see a little about the area in advance of getting there...and it was funny, too.

Don't expect anything recent: I suspect nothing will be newer than about six months.

If you're on an R- or S-class ship, you should be able to get DVDs from the front desk. 

One thing: if you have Netflix streaming and a decent-size tablet, you can download many titles and view them on board. (We prop ours on a pillow on the bed between us.)

Happy viewing!

• Like 1

We are looking at the Niew Amsterdam or the Zuierdam. We are very active and in our early 60's and are trying to decide between the 2 ships for a Transatlantic. We are usually Princess cruisers,  but the price is much better on HAL.

I suspect you'll be fine with the selection. 

I should mention that, on our Viking Passage voyage last year, the movie list included both "Troll Hunter", and "Journey to the Center of the Earth", neither of which will ever win any awards, of any kind. My wife watched them, but regretted wasting her time :(

Happy travels! 

• Haha 1

The in room movies (IMO) aren't necessarily recent movies but perhaps in the area of 6 month old movies.  For example...we watched the movie Bohemian Rhaspody released in Nov 2018 on our cruse this past March 2019.  Not sure if you would consider that recent.   Also I have to agree with kwb101 in that the movies aren't necessarily classics. 

• Like 1

I think most movies have restrictions on how soon they can be viewed online or bought as disks, which is often no less than six months from the initial theatrical release. There  are occasional exceptions (cf "El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie", which was in theaters and on Netflix the same day two weeks ago). Still, odds are that, if you're looking for the newest ones, you're not going to find them on board.

Happy viewing! 

11 hours ago, quilter49 said:

We are looking at the Niew Amsterdam or the Zuierdam. We are very active and in our early 60's and are trying to decide between the 2 ships for a Transatlantic. We are usually Princess cruisers,  but the price is much better on HAL.

We prefer the NA due to the additional specialty restaurant...Tamarind. A slightly larger ship (200 passengers) but we enjoy her over the Zuiderdam. We also think the NA signature suites are the best value offered by HAL. Have a great cruise. 

Just  curious,  we have been on both,  and the Zuiderdam has new bigger flat screen TVs as of 2017.   Not sure if Nieuw Amsterdam  has had the TVs updated?  Perhaps someone who has been on her recently can comment? 

Just off the Koningsdam, good TVs, but limited on demand movies and very limited tv shows and news.  

We were just on the Zuiderdam where we had an unexpected extra "sea day" because of a cancelled port. We ended up watching "Crazy Rich Asians" in our stateroom and enjoying it a lot.  Free movies on demand--very nice.  There seemed to be a pretty extensive selection.

• Like 1