Travel insurance

19 minutes ago, KelSny1011 said:

I think I need to look into other insurances.  I have always gotten RCL insurance, but now I see that it doesn't really do much for me and my family.  Can I cancel my RCL insurance for my cruise in April 2020?  

I think so because you don't pay for it until you make your final payment, at least that's how I understand it. Call and see but be sure you have something else to replace it with.

31 minutes ago, KelSny1011 said:

I think I need to look into other insurances.  I have always gotten RCL insurance, but now I see that it doesn't really do much for me and my family.  Can I cancel my RCL insurance for my cruise in April 2020?  

Yes, as long as you have not made final payment and you have not made a specific payment for the insurance.

I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can cancel rcl insurance on 2 cruises I have in january as the price for annual policy with geoblue is about same price i paid for 2 cruises in january.  Final payment was made last week but maybe they can give me obc in lieu of their insurance.

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can cancel rcl insurance on 2 cruises I have in january as the price for annual policy with geoblue is about same price i paid for 2 cruises in january.  Final payment was made last week but maybe they can give me obc in lieu of their insurance.

Good luck, I'd be curious if they refund the insurance cost as the insurance company has been at risk since final payment.

Update.  I called this morning to see if I could cancel travel insure with rcl for my b2b cruise in january.  I was told No because the final payment date has passed.  If you already made payment in full and your final payment date has not yet passed then yes you can cancel your travel insurance.  They would simply credit the card you paid with.

But you do want to make sure you have secured your other policy before you cancel.

Good to know this for all my future cruises.  

23 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Update.  I called this morning to see if I could cancel travel insure with rcl for my b2b cruise in january.  I was told No because the final payment date has passed.  If you already made payment in full and your final payment date has not yet passed then yes you can cancel your travel insurance.  They would simply credit the card you paid with.

But you do want to make sure you have secured your other policy before you cancel.

Good to know this for all my future cruises.  

Thank-you for reporting back.

14 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Worst case we will be double insured for our January cruises as our main concern is having medical coverage for someone with a pre existing condition. 

I always thought there was a short window to get travel insurance, if you were looking to cover pre existing conditions. 

9 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I always thought there was a short window to get travel insurance, if you were looking to cover pre existing conditions. 

For third party insurance this is usually the case.  However for Royal's insurance, they do the 60-day lookback period for pre-existing condition coverage.

24 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

That's why one does research.

Again, this restriction can be based on what each individual state allows.

In my state (Washington), most policies require purchase within 14 days of initial deposit. However, there is 1 policy that allows you to purchase at final payment.

You can easily check this out by making a fake request for a quote at https://tripinsurancestore.com/ 

Just fill out the side by side quote request on the left of the home page. Put in some fake info, hit Get Quotes, and up pops some quotes for different policies. Read thru the summation of the policies and they'll be easily broke down. If you have a question or concern, click on the FAQ section and they explain the terms

Edited by klfrodo

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

You can get travel insurance up to 24 hours after your final payment under some policies.

You might be limited to fewer policies that contain a  pre-existing conditions waiver and then

the coverages will usually be secondary. 

In my experience,  the normal time frame to have pre-existing conditions

covered is 10 to 20 days after the initial cruise deposit depending on the company.

I just dummy booked the coverage under my existing policy, and the pre-existing coverage

was not available after 20 days, but the policy price was the same.

16 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I will let you know tomorrow.  

Worst case we will be double insured for our January cruises as our main concern is having medical coverage for someone with a pre existing condition.   

Make SURE that pre-existing conditions are covered.  Just saying.

And remember, the RCI insurance covers a lot more than just medical and med evac.

As I have said, we found that with the insurance through RCI, the insurance company was very responsive and helpful. And worked to with the hospital and med evac company to keep the fees within the insurance coverage.