Transfer PROBLEM from Ushuaia to Santiago

Retired teacher 67

We are going on Silver Cloud sailing on December 10, 2019. Upon the return from Ushuaia to Santiago, Silversea has arranged a charter flight to Santiago leaving at 3:14 pm and arriving at 7:03 pm into the DOMESTIC terminal.  We are connecting to Delta flight in the INTERNATIONAL terminal, leaving at 9:50 pm.  Having to be checked in Delta no later than one hour before our flight (8:50 pm), I don't see how we could make this connection, having to go from the domestic terminal to the international terminal. Is anyone in the same situation?

34 minutes ago, Retired teacher 67 said:

We are going on Silver Cloud sailing on December 10, 2019. Upon the return from Ushuaia to Santiago, Silversea has arranged a charter flight to Santiago leaving at 3:14 pm and arriving at 7:03 pm into the DOMESTIC terminal.  We are connecting to Delta flight in the INTERNATIONAL terminal, leaving at 9:50 pm.  Having to be checked in Delta no later than one hour before our flight (8:50 pm), I don't see how we could make this connection, having to go from the domestic terminal to the international terminal. Is anyone in the same situation?

Was your flight arranged through Silversea? We did this trip in 2018 with flights arranged by Silversea. I think you should be fine if you land at 7:03 pm and your flight departs almost 3 hours later.

23 minutes ago, Retired teacher 67 said:

Did  your return flight from Ushuaia leave at 3 pm?  We booked our own air (Delta) after being instructed by Silversea to book flights leaving AFTER 9 pm, which we did (9:50 pm).  Also, did your charter land at the domestic or international terminal?

We were on the Cloud just six months ago and the charter flight left around 6AM from Santiago and when we got to Ushuaia, still early in the morning. All the guest from the previous voyage were already at the airport, waiting for us to get off so they could board. 

It seems strange that they would change their format that been used for years.  

1 hour ago, Retired teacher 67 said:

Two questions. Are the terminals within walking distance, I.e. you don’t need a bus transfer, and what is the current minimum connect time for Santiago Airport. These are both easy to look up.

The terminals are not connected (even if they were we would still ave to go through customs leaving the domestic terminal, drag our bags over to international terminal, drop them off at Delta, then pass through security (long lines?) in less than 2 hours! We were told we'd have to get on a bus to go to the international terminal! Think this all could occur in less than two hours? Has anyone else experienced this?

Silversea told me that their charter goes to the domestic terminal in Santiago.  Has anyone experienced this charter from Ushuaia to Santiago to confirm this?  I called LATAM today and was told that THEY don't know which terminal the charter goes to! Silversea hasn't been helpful at all (about their charter). I don't understand why the charter leaves so late (3:14 pm) arriving in Santiago at 7:03pm.  Silversea instructed us not to book return flights that leaves before 9:00pm.  We followed their instructions and booked a flight leaving at 9:50 pm (Delta).  We need help and advice!!!

Relax.

Both the domestic and international portions of the Santiago Airport are in the same building.  See:

https://www.santiago-airport.com/terminal.php

You should have more than enough time.  If Silversea said book a flight that departs after 900PM and you have a 950PM departure on Delta, why do you think that you have a problem?  Nearly three hours between arrival of the charter and departure of your Delta flight will give you more than enough time to make the connection.

Agree, the terminals are within easy walking distance. We have flown in and out of both frequently in the past two years. I don't think that it will be a problem. We recently landed at 10 AM in the international terminal and had to catch a domestic flight at 1:00; we easily had enough time and it was definitely within walking distance.

When you exit baggage claim from the domestic terminal, you will be at ground level and if you go up one (or maybe two; can't remember exactly) you'll see the check-in desks. It is NOT far at all. Passport control and security have been reasonably quick every time we've been there. 

But - I am also surprised to hear that the flight arrives at the international terminal - since I thought exactly as FlyerTalker did. Ushuaia is in Argentina...

We are doing the exact same thing at the end of our cruise in January - leaving on the DL flight at 9:50 PM the same day we arrive back on the charter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Retired teacher 67 said:

Silversea told me that their charter goes to the domestic terminal in Santiago.  Has anyone experienced this charter from Ushuaia to Santiago to confirm this?

Past experiences will have minimal relevance to this specific operation.

I called LATAM today and was told that THEY don't know which terminal the charter goes to!

Probably because it is a.....charter!  The regular LATAM agents would not have this in their systems as it is a non-scheduled operation that is separate from their regular flights.

I don't understand why the charter leaves so late (3:14 pm) arriving in Santiago at 7:03pm. 

Perhaps because that is when they could obtain an aircraft  to make the trip TO USH so that you could then fly back from USH to SCL.  Airlines don't just have aircraft sitting around - unless one is privy to the operational and maintenance schedules of LATAM, you could not know when an aircraft would or would not be available.

We need help and advice!!!

The only people who would know the specifics about your charter flight are:

1)  The charter company providing the aircraft and crew to take you from USH to SCL, and

2)  The company that has chartered the aircraft to take their passengers on that flight.

Number 1 is not going to be dealing with the passengers on an individual basis.  They contract with Number 2, and that's their sole interfacing.  Part of the charter concept is that the air company is renting the entire aircraft, and all the details with the bodies in the seats is handled by Number 2 as part of the charter agreement.  Number 1 doesn't care who or what is going aboard - they are flying a plane from A to B and back to A.

So, you need help?  The only place for that is Number 2.  Need advice?  Read up on the airport at SCL to familiarize yourself with maps, layout, procedures and more.  That way you have information in your brain BEFORE you get there so you aren't arriving cold.

I suspect that isn't the answer you want.  But it's the reality of what you have.  And a lot of responsibility will fall on you to execute the switch from one flight to the other.

• Like 4

You may check the luggage through to your final destination in USH, if presenting a print out of your Delta flight connection. That depends on the charter flight company, weather they have an interlining agreement. If the charter flight is provided by LATAM, then this seems to be possible.

We are also on the Dec 10 Silver Cloud cruise

we have a 10:20pm flight out on Latam/American (code share) not booked through Silversea.

Thanks shipsmail - hopefully if charter is by Latam we can check our bags through.

RetiredTeacher 67 - look forward to meeting you.  we have never been on a cruise like this.  we have our waterproof boots & pants, warm socks, etc and are ready to go!  we are doing a cruise from LA to Chile on Celebrity and will have 3 days in Santiago before this trip.

41 minutes ago, bethtex said:

We are also on the Dec 10 Silver Cloud cruise we have a 10:20pm flight out on Latam/American (code share) not booked through Silversea.

Be sure to check and ensure your LATAM flight hasn’t changed.  Our LATAM/AA codeshare flight changed two months ago as LATAM is no longer flying to MIA direct overnight.  So, they were going to route us to Bogota with an afternoon departure which meant we would have mis-connected from USH.  In the end, AA routed us on their metal on the DFW direct overnight flight.

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Be sure to check and ensure your LATAM flight hasn’t changed.  Our LATAM/AA codeshare flight changed two months ago as LATAM is no longer flying to MIA direct overnight.  So, they were going to route us to Bogota with an afternoon departure which meant we would have mis-connected from USH.  In the end, AA routed us on their metal on the DFW direct overnight flight.

The AA/LATAM relationship is ending.  AA has stripped codeshares and there is some definite reshuffling in the mix.  Definitely check to see that your tickets still are what you expect them to be, and expect still more as the transition to DL/LATAM comes into fruition.

Stumblefoot and FlyerTalker - thanks for the heads up on the change in the Latam/AA relationship.  Our flight is booked on Latam as a codeshare on an AA plane, the direct to DFW. I will check it regularly before we leave.