Wow four years ago

8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It is what it is. Do in Rome as the Romans do. It is all part of the travel experience.

That is very open-minded of you Mic and I mostly agree. But I have to admit, there are times when I feel taken advantage of (China, Hawaii!, parts of Europe) and a "tip" is really just a shakedown.

13 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Ha that's funny, exactly the way I thought about paying for a steak in Aus or NZ (or wherever)! "Pity <x> dollar isn't the same value as our dollar". But it always seemed ok!

I just looked

100 NZD to USD=62.888 US Dollars

You wanna swap one of your dollars for one of ours?😀

Edited by Thecat123

2 minutes ago, Thecat123 said:

I just looked

100 NZD to USD=6.2888 US Dollars

You wanna swap one of your dollars for one of ours?😀

After i saw this, I checked too. Wow, things have changed since we were there! Wish we were visiting now.

And no, I'll keep our USD 😀

1 hour ago, NoWhiners said:

That is very open-minded of you Mic and I mostly agree. But I have to admit, there are times when I feel taken advantage of (China, Hawaii!, parts of Europe) and a "tip" is really just a shakedown.

Yes some parts of the world are worse than other sin what feels like a daylight robbery, but again, if going there forewarned, at least you can be prepared.

7 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Remember minimum adult wage here is around $18 per hour, with some jobs getting penalty rates for shifts and weekends or public holidays.

Though the contra side is many in the traditional tipping service sector i.e. hospitality staff are under 21 and so getting lower rates of pay, from about $10 an hour up.

And similarly, especially in the past decade or so, underpayment and especially non-payment of penalties has become rife in that sector. Lobbying from that sector became so prevalent that the current government has now legislated to remove many penalty rates.

15 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

After i saw this, I checked too. Wow, things have changed since we were there! Wish we were visiting now.

And no, I'll keep our USD 😀

What bugs me in the US is when I see the price on a sticker I go through my bank notes looking at each number on them as I dont know which President goes with each bank note, then go through all the loose change in my pocket to get the correct amount to pay and then the shop keeper comes up and says there is tax on that as well. In NZ the price you see on the ticket is the price you pay😀. Also our money is prettier than yours 😀

Edited by Thecat123

LOL, I know what you mean, I have even got out the money for the added tax and such but find there is sometimes an addition state tax or service charge. So I put the shrapnel back in my pocket and get another note, knowing my pocket will get heavier again due to the change.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Thecat123 said:

What bugs me in the US is when I see the price on a sticker I go through my bank notes looking at each number on them as I dont know which President goes with each bank note, then go through all the loose change in my pocket to get the correct amount to pay and then the shop keeper comes up and says there is tax on that as well. In NZ the price you see on the ticket is the price you pay😀. Also our money is prettier than yours 😀

Actually, that bugs me too. I prefer your system.

And yes, your money is prettier, but really almost every country has prettier money than us 😉

Hi mates

Just wanted to drop in and say--Smokee is cancer free!!! Got the results today, I am so relieved/happy, I can't express it.  He will need some special food/supplements to help his liver but prognosis is excellent.

I think we may get to cruise the Amazon after all. Next Tuesday he gets his post-op checkup. Assuming all is well, we will cruise.

Thanks all for your support. I know he is 'just a dog' but he is our boy, we love him, and he is a big part of the family.❤️

• Like 2

On 11/10/2019 at 6:02 PM, MicCanberra said:

It is what it is. Do in Rome as the Romans do. It is all part of the travel experience.

When I was in Mexico and Central America I noticed that English speakers were expected to tip whereas Spanish speaking tourists were never expected to tip. I suspect that because it is predominantly Americans who visit Latin America the locals associate English speakers with American and therefore expect tips. In these situations I choose not to tip. It not only feels like a scam but I don't like that I'm being asked to practice the culture of another visiting nationality. Since then I read that in Kenya they has a similar issue and that it has negative effects on the local economy and their society. So all the more reason to not tip if it is not local practice to do so. 

Hi mates

Great news--Smokee has been given the all clear so we will be able to cruise! I am so happy that he recovered so well and is back to normal. Only restriction is no jumping, which is easier to control than the "no steps" we have had for 2 weeks. I feel bad we are leaving him so soon after the surgery but he seems quite happy and normal, maybe even a little brighter than before surgery.

Anyway, we fly to Florida on Thursday, board the Oceania Insignia on Saturday. Won't be back until December 18.

I'll try and post if the internet works!

Thanks for all your support

ML

Go Swans!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Hi mates

Great news--Smokee has been given the all clear so we will be able to cruise! I am so happy that he recovered so well and is back to normal. Only restriction is no jumping, which is easier to control than the "no steps" we have had for 2 weeks. I feel bad we are leaving him so soon after the surgery but he seems quite happy and normal, maybe even a little brighter than before surgery.

Anyway, we fly to Florida on Thursday, board the Oceania Insignia on Saturday. Won't be back until December 18.

ML

Go Swans!

Such great news.

Also they just announced another International Rules tournament, a hybrid game of Aussie Rules and Gaelic Football, keep an eye out for it on TV, a great game.

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Such great news.

Also they just announced another International Rules tournament, a hybrid game of Aussie Rules and Gaelic Football, keep an eye out for it on TV, a great game.

Yes, I am very happy.

Are there any dates for this yet?

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Not many would agree with you Mr GUT. I have been to a couple of games, it is fast and to be honest usually favours the Irish players using the round ball. 

Leigh

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Not many would agree with you Mr GUT. I have been to a couple of games, it is fast and to be honest usually favours the Irish players using the round ball. 

Leigh

Fast and rough, I enjoy it.

On 11/20/2019 at 8:04 AM, NoWhiners said:

Hi mates

ML

Go Swans!

great news, Bon voyage.

On 11/20/2019 at 1:59 PM, possum52 said:

Leigh

Yes, they have the advantage of it being closer to their game than ours.

• 2 weeks later...