Help - Sailing in 7 days, father not doing well. Options?

boomie

Hi,

I'm sailing in 7 days, but my father is gravely ill. There's no way we're going on our cruise, doctors say he'll probably pass within the next couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, the trip cancelation insurance I have won't cover this because he had an existing condition. I highly encourage everyone to read their coverage policies before they assume their covered. 

I called RCL as well and I don't seem to have any options. I can cancel and get back my taxes which is about 20% of the cost of the cruise. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? Seems so unfair. RCL can easily fill this cabin given the network they have. I completely understand paying penalty of some sort, but not 80%.

How truly unfortunate. So sorry you have to give up your cruise, and so sad that you may have to give up your dad.

May God grant you peace and strength, in the coming future.

Don't  expect much help from the cruise line. They usually don't have much compassion. 

I’m very sorry to hear about your father’s condition.  You’re obviously doing the right thing in cancelling your cruise to be with him.  Unfortunately you don’t have any options since your travel insurance won’t cover his pre-existing condition and RCI will only refund your taxes.  I know it doesn’t seem fair, but that’s the reality.  Please take care of yourself and treasure these last few days/weeks with your dad.

Edited by nwcruiselover

6 hours ago, boomie said:

Hi,

I'm sailing in 7 days, but my father is gravely ill. There's no way we're going on our cruise, doctors say he'll probably pass within the next couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, the trip cancelation insurance I have won't cover this because he had an existing condition. I highly encourage everyone to read their coverage policies before they assume their covered. 

I called RCL as well and I don't seem to have any options. I can cancel and get back my taxes which is about 20% of the cost of the cruise. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? Seems so unfair. RCL can easily fill this cabin given the network they have. I completely understand paying penalty of some sort, but not 80%.

My sincere sympathies to you and your family.

Insurance say you can put in a claim but if it is an existing condition we know by personal experience they will not pay out.

Try

mbayley@rccl.com and good luck.

27 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Does the insurance one gets with RCL will cover this if purchased/paid for when cruise is booked?  Not reading anything into OP's statements--just wondering.

Royals insurance has a cancel for any reason clause that would pay out 75% in the form of a FCC in this situation 

• Like 1

My condolences.  A few years back, we were scheduled to cruise and about 2 weeks prior my FIL entered hospice care.  I called Royal Customer service and explained the situation.  (We had no insurance for that trip.)  They were more than helpful.  We were able to switch to a cruise the next month.  If I recall correctly, we were charged a very minimal fee for the cost difference in the sailings.  They required a faxed note from his hospice team to confirm.   

• Thanks 1

I’m so sorry about your dad! 😔 

You were so wise to purchase travel insurance; it’s awful that you still can’t get your money back! Have you called the insurance company? Depending on when you bought the policy and whether your dad was being given stable treatment at the time, they may pay.