Do you think the drinks package is worth it?

Vampiress88

I’m on another forum, not a cruise one but there are a few that have been on p&o and one person who is also on this forum said they don’t think the drinks package is worth it. 

I agree. I don’t think the drinks package is worth it for us as we couldn’t drink that amount. 
I kept a log of everything we spent on board. 

this is how I see it 

The package price is £39.95pp per day. 
Cocktail is £6.35
Wine per glass is £4.75
Pint is £4.20
Coke is £1.95
Latte is £2.95
Mocktail is £3.05 

the top price drink we had was cocktail at £6.35 so that would mean we would have to have over 6 cocktails each to benefit. 

plus I don’t drink. I had two alcoholic drinks in a week and I didn’t enjoy then so went to pop. So that wouldn’t work in our favour either. 

it was much better for us to just pay as we drink them and I am budgeting £70 A day which I aM hoping we don’t do every day for drinks for all 4 of us next time we go ( this is cos £60 was our most expensive day and also the sunniest this last cruise. I do love to over budget too). 

So do you buy it? 
is it worth it for you?

10 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I’m on another forum, not a cruise one but there are a few that have been on p&o and one person who is also on this forum said they don’t think the drinks package is worth it. 

I agree. I don’t think the drinks package is worth it for us as we couldn’t drink that amount. 
I kept a log of everything we spent on board. 

this is how I see it 

The package price is £39.95pp per day. 
Cocktail is £6.35
Wine per glass is £4.75
Pint is £4.20
Coke is £1.95
Latte is £2.95
Mocktail is £3.05 

the top price drink we had was cocktail at £6.35 so that would mean we would have to have over 6 cocktails each to benefit. 

plus I don’t drink. I had two alcoholic drinks in a week and I didn’t enjoy then so went to pop. So that wouldn’t work in our favour either. 

it was much better for us to just pay as we drink them and I am budgeting £70 A day which I aM hoping we don’t do every day for drinks for all 4 of us next time we go ( this is cos £60 was our most expensive day and also the sunniest this last cruise. I do love to over budget too). 

So do you buy it? 
is it worth it for you?

Rather than starting a new thread, why not look at the thread pinned to the top of the thread list. It will keep you occupied for several hours, and hopefully answer all your questions.

Edited by Les_ldh
Link added

As Les rightly says, this has been done to death at the top of the page but a quick summary, it works for some but not for others. 

If you drink a lot on holiday or are addicted to Costa, then it might be worth it. 

Families can benefit, but an average couple like us would really struggle to make it work. 

Andy 

I think it's probably worth using, couple of coffees in the morning, a beer with lunch, a few glasses of wine with dinner and a couple of cocktails before. Maybe a drink in the bar later and a nightcap, throw in a few bottles of water a day and you'd be into the £40+ area. I like it for the lack of having to budget! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, newbie cruissy said:

I think it's probably worth using, couple of coffees in the morning, a beer with lunch, a few glasses of wine with dinner and a couple of cocktails before. Maybe a drink in the bar later and a nightcap, throw in a few bottles of water a day and you'd be into the £40+ area. I like it for the lack of having to budget! 

We spend about £350 - £400 per week on drinks as a couple, the package would be £560, so not viable for us, but I get it works for others. 

Andy 

38 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

Rather than starting a new thread, why not look at the thread pinned to the top of the thread list. It will keep you occupied for several hours, and hopefully answer all your questions.

sorry didn’t realise that was the same question. I actually though it was information on the packages. 

I have requested this to be closed 

thank you 

14 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Families can benefit, but an average couple like us would really struggle to make it work. 

Andy 

It has been done to death but as new cruisers come on board you just know that it is one of the main thing that they will be interested in so it will keep coming up.

Totally agrree with Andy,especially with drink prices as they are on P&O,for us as a couple it just doesn't make any more economic sense to have a drink package on board any more so than when at home,if you are thinking budget we always find we are spending less by buying drinks on board than the coast of a drink package.

Not just at bars on board but you can order spirits to be delivered to your room at prices you just won't find in supermarkets at home.

Edited by snaefell
  • Like 1

Just now, terrierjohn said:

So far drink prices do not appear to be rising to encourage more passengers to buy a package, so that's also good news. 

I was just going to post that since the drinks package was introduced for £39.95 per day in 2018, P&O have twice raised there on board prices but not the package price.