Aft balconies and exhaust smoke?

swanhaven

I've read that some ships depending on weather may have issues with exhaust smoke making the aft balcony experience not ideal - depending on deck.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which deck levels may be less susceptible than others?

I'm most interested in the breakaway plus class.

Thanks ahead

The soot happens at certain times at night due to cleaning the engine turbochargers and boilers.  From my time at NCL, we always informed the bridge as to when this was going to be done, and they would adjust course to put the wind on the beam so the soot had less distance to blow to get away from the ship (over the side instead of aft), and then return to course (about 15-20 minutes).  From what I hear about other lines, this is not done, causing the sooting problems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The soot happens at certain times at night due to cleaning the engine turbochargers and boilers.  From my time at NCL, we always informed the bridge as to when this was going to be done, and they would adjust course to put the wind on the beam so the soot had less distance to blow to get away from the ship (over the side instead of aft), and then return to course (about 15-20 minutes).  From what I hear about other lines, this is not done, causing the sooting problems.

Thank you very much for your information! Great to have 🙂

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Great info once again..... 

I've stayed in aft balconies on many of NCL ships and never had an issue and it's great to know why.

14 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

Not an issue, in my experience.  

We had an Aft Balcony on the Sun on our 2016  Alaska cruise and soot was not a problem.  An Aft is great for Alaska, especially going through Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.   The Aft Balcony you are not getting the cold breeze that you get on a port or starboard balcony.  Also, the views from the Aft are wonderful.