Do I really need my credit card PIN?

royalcruz

It says this on the MSC website for my cruise: "After embarking and collecting the Cruise Card for your stateroom, you should activate it for onboard purchases by self-registering your credit/debit/prepaid card at one of the Cruise Card Activation Points. You can do this independently, at any time from embarkation until 11:00pm the following day, at any of the Cruise Card Activation Points located around the ship. These new devices let you register your card simply, rapidly and securely. Please note that you will be asked to enter the PIN number."

Do I really need my credit card PIN to register or is this just for debit cards and prepaid cards? Thank you.

17 minutes ago, aprilF said:

Um, so what about Americans (with no PIN CCs) cruising in Europe?  Do we need to figure out an alternative for our shipboard account?

You can use your US credit card without PIN for your onboard account. Credit card systems in Europe accept US credit cards without PIN , just signature is required. I have done this on 3 sailings with MSC Cruises in Europe (2018 & 2019) and never had a problem.

Different topic... before traveling abroad I notify my credit card issuing bank about my travel plan (dates) and countries I visit. I take 2 credit cards from different banks, one to use and the other as backup/emergency card (placed in safe on ship or in hotel).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ok, this is a tough one to explain but here goes. EU (european union) in all of its birocratic wisdome has decided that in the future  (01.01.2020 i think) all credit cards transactions have to be verified by PIN. 

So have in mind that next year you cruise the MED or travel in EU you will have to verify ANY CC purchase or usage by PIN. Authorization by signature will no longer be done. 

So have your PINs ready. 

It is called PSD2 directive from 14/09/2019

Edited by Stadleter
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stadleter said:

So have your PINs ready. 

The problem is that most US credit cards don’t even have a PIN , even if they issue a PIN it can only be used to withdraw ‘cash advance’ on a ATM.

US banks like CHASE and Bank of America don’t understand the security concept in Europe. I called multiple times and got answers like to use my debit(!) card with PIN or pay with cash. Both are no options for me due to safety while traveling.

To be fair a couple of US credit cards have already a PIN , just not all cards from all major banks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stadleter said:

Ok, this is a tough one to explain but here goes. EU (european union) in all of its birocratic wisdome has decided that in the future  (01.01.2020 i think) all credit cards transactions have to be verified by PIN. 

So have in mind that next year you cruise the MED or travel in EU you will have to verify ANY CC purchase or usage by PIN. Authorization by signature will no longer be done. 

So have your PINs ready. 

I guess the thing to do will be to ask after the new year.  My cruise isnt until May so hopefully someone will let me know if a PIN is necessary on board before that.

I was aware of the PIN/CC issue for locations in Europe that were automated, like train ticket machines.  I was under the impression that if you went to a manned both that you could purchase things with your signature enabled US CC.  At least currently, I guess that's another thing that could change after the new year.

Thanks to all for chiming in!

1 hour ago, aprilF said:

I guess the thing to do will be to ask after the new year.  My cruise isnt until May so hopefully someone will let me know if a PIN is necessary on board before that.

I was aware of the PIN/CC issue for locations in Europe that were automated, like train ticket machines.  I was under the impression that if you went to a manned both that you could purchase things with your signature enabled US CC.  At least currently, I guess that's another thing that could change after the new year.

Thanks to all for chiming in!

I live in Denmark. I think we stopped accepting any cards without a PIN around 10 years ago.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ditmar2007 said:

I live in Denmark. I think we stopped accepting any cards without a PIN around 10 years ago.

I paid my hotel bill in Copenhagen and 2 dinners with my US credit card without PIN , used signature instead , in September 2019.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

I paid my hotel bill in Copenhagen and 2 dinners with my US credit card without PIN , used signature instead , in September 2019.

That really surprises me. We had those little machines where you placed the card, put in a slip with carbon copy, and went back and forth with a sledge. Then you could sign.

Those are gone.

Did they take the PIN-less card in any shops?
I guess hotels have to take PIN-less cards if they want US customers

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ditmar2007 said:

I can not answer that question. I used my US credit card (no PIN) only at Hotel Kong Artur, 2x restaurant Ravnsborg Kitchen, tickets Rosenborg Castle Tour, small Café (cappuccino & pastries) , supermarket in Copenhagen and in a men’s store at the airport in Copenhagen. They inserted my credit card in a small handheld terminal / card reader and the terminal printed a receipt for me to sign. I received within a few seconds a eMail from my US bank with an ‘International Charge Alert’ and the details of the transaction including amount in DKK and in US-Dollar.

Everything went smooth just without PIN. The change in year 2020 would be a problem for me unless I apply for a different credit card WITH PIN .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ditmar2007 said:

That really surprises me. We had those little machines where you placed the card, put in a slip with carbon copy, and went back and forth with a sledge. Then you could sign.

Those are gone.

I guess hotels have to take PIN-less cards if they want US customers

These sledge things are the machines you are talking about.

I have a credit card since  2006, and have not seen one of them in use nowhere in Europe. I remember around 2000 that when my father paid with credit card, they would put the card on one of these and make a slip.

But, newer machines like the one in the second picture also have the ability to print receipts that have to be signed.
The problems is that in the next year there will be no more option to authorize by signature, only by PIN.

I have an Amex and a Visa Gold. Amex was issued 2-3 years ago. Visa was issued 1 month ago. Both are credit cards, not debit cards.

Visa gold does not allow authorization by signature, only by PIN.

Amex still allows authorization by signature, but will stop working 31/12/2019

8ZOsD.jpg

kartica.jpg

4 hours ago, Stadleter said:

Visa gold does not allow authorization by signature, only by PIN.

Amex still allows authorization by signature, but will stop working 31/12/2019

That confirms the information I found searching for US credit cards with ‘Chip & PIN’ :

“These issuers do not provide chip-and-PIN cards:

- American Express

- Discover

- Chase“

• 2 months later...
On 11/20/2019 at 11:11 AM, Stadleter said:

So have your PINs ready. 

So...now that it is after 1.1.20 can anyone report not needing a PIN?

I would imagine that folks from the US can use their credit cards in Europe without a PIN because the European financial  institutions make an exception for US customers rather than lose the sales.  They represent a significant number of sales after all.

Having said that.  I would also imagine that sooner or later the US will catch up with the rest of the financial world and introduce chip and pin technology across the board.  Just like sooner or later they will join the metric system 🙂  I'll bet later than sooner though.

My understanding is this:

1) There are some places (e.g., automated kiosks in train stations) that will only work with chip and pin. I know this for a fact as I have encountered it 🙂

2) Some automated places and all places with a person will collect a signature if you have a chip instead of requiring a pin. Haven't been to Europe this month, but was there last year and haven't heard anything about this. Normally these types of changes get a lot of press.

3) If you have a CC without a chip, you are probably SOL.

Kevin

Edited by alyssamma

19 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Get a card with pin just in case you need it when travelling to Europe.

Most US credit cards have PINs - they are used for cash withdrawal. Where the issue is is that many do not have chips. And most that have chips are chip and signature and not chip and pin.

And then you need to find a card without a foreign transaction fee.

Easiest is to have a CC with a chip and use your signature or try to use your pin if you can.

16 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Most US credit cards have PINs - they are used for cash withdrawal. Where the issue is is that many do not have chips. And most that have chips are chip and signature and not chip and pin.

And then you need to find a card without a foreign transaction fee.

Easiest is to have a CC with a chip and use your signature or try to use your pin if you can.

The safest way to be sure to be able to use the card in Europe is to get a card with chip and pin.