Souvenirs

anniedave

On 11/16/2019 at 3:57 AM, anniedave said:

I wondered if all you experienced cruisers have an tips for a newbie. We have our first ever cruise in Jan on the Reflection. We are visiting Cartagenta, ABCs and Grand Cayman . Having never visited any of these places before I am hoping to pick up some small ( flying from the UK so space & weight is important) souvenirs from each place. Something inexpensive but dont  just want the usual fridge magnets. I realise this is a subjective question depending on taste but all suggestions welcome. Thanks 

A lot of times you can find artists on painting local tropical scenes on small canvases. Usually between $15 and $20.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

The thing is, when you get a LOT of garlic, it doesn't taste like garlic.   It becomes spicy hot.

Batali (awful person that he turned out to be) taught me (and others!) to slice rather than press garlic.  I donated my garlic press some years ago.  Much more subtle.

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I sometimes like the taste of garlic (garlic bread), but am generally more like you.  I have tried adding garlic to some dishes to "fancy" them and discover I really prefer them without.  I suspect neither one of us uses garlic in our Carbonara 😉 

I like garlic a LOT.  But garlic in carbonara?  That is HORRID.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Batali (awful person that he turned out to be) taught me (and others!) to slice rather than press garlic.  I donated my garlic press some years ago.  Much more subtle.

You should try kalbi, eaten Korean style.

You take piece of lettuce, put on a piece of meat.  Possibly some miso paste or kochujong, and then a clove (yes a WHOLE clove) of garlic. The meat piece is bite sized, you pop the thing in your mouth. 😄

22 minutes ago, SRF said:

a clove (yes a WHOLE clove) of garlic.

Raw garlic? We were in Montenegro and some local guys at the next table were having a snack that included raw garlic.  I'm not man enough.

20181012_111747 - Edited.jpg

35 minutes ago, SRF said:

You should try kalbi, eaten Korean style.

You take piece of lettuce, put on a piece of meat.  Possibly some miso paste or kochujong, and then a clove (yes a WHOLE clove) of garlic. The meat piece is bite sized, you pop the thing in your mouth. 😄

I have had a Korean dish similar to that. I thought I would hate it, (raw garlic is usually not my thing) but the raw garlic worked really well with the thinly sliced fatty pork as the garlic cut through the fat and the pork fat lessened the intensity of the raw garlic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Do any people who go to the Caribbean buy sand in stores to bring home ?

i did that in the 90’s.

You bought sand? Why did you just pick some up at a beach? Or if you weren't able to at that time, then you could have gotten someone to get it for you.  Cath

On 11/16/2019 at 3:57 AM, anniedave said:

I wondered if all you experienced cruisers have an tips for a newbie. We have our first ever cruise in Jan on the Reflection. We are visiting Cartagenta, ABCs and Grand Cayman . Having never visited any of these places before I am hoping to pick up some small ( flying from the UK so space & weight is important) souvenirs from each place. Something inexpensive but dont  just want the usual fridge magnets. I realise this is a subjective question depending on taste but all suggestions welcome. Thanks 

One of our Christmas trees is dedicated to all the Christmas ornaments that we have bought around the world.

12 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I have had a Korean dish similar to that. I thought I would hate it, (raw garlic is usually not my thing) but the raw garlic worked really well with the thinly sliced fatty pork as the garlic cut through the fat and the pork fat lessened the intensity of the raw garlic. 

Was it grilled at the table?  There are a number of meats and preps that are done that way. 

YUM

13 hours ago, clo said:

Raw garlic? We were in Montenegro and some local guys at the next table were having a snack that included raw garlic.  I'm not man enough.

I have had garlic stuffed olives.

And pickled garlic.

Both as snacks.  Not just raw though.

17 hours ago, clo said:

Here's Marcella Hazan's carbonara.  A very subtle way to use garlic.

http://labellecuisine.com/archives/pasta/Marcella%20Hazan's%20Carbonara%20Sauce.htm

One of my very favorite things to cook.

I'm more of a purist (although I can't get guanciale and do sub with bacon or pancetta).  I usually follow the recipe by Antonio Carlucci on Jamie Oliver's YouTube channel.  When I use bacon I don't add olive oil.  I'm glad to see you don't use cream 🙂 

11 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Do any people who go to the Caribbean buy sand in stores to bring home ?

i did that in the 90’s.

Not the Caribbean, but we bought a pink sand ornament in Bermuda.

10 hours ago, clo said:

You bought sand? Why did you just pick some up at a beach? Or if you weren't able to at that time, then you could have gotten someone to get it for you.  Cath

Many islands request that guests don't remove sand from the beach (we always accidentally have some with us in our shoes it seems 😄 ).  While you aren't supposed to (sometimes by law), often gift stores will sell small souvenir amounts.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, clo said:

I did not get sick till I moved from NYC in 2003.I have no idea why I did not pick any up.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I did not get sick till I moved from NYC in 2003.I have no idea why I did not pick any up.

I have 2 huge crates of souvenirs from every place I have traveled to from 1960 to present.I even have something from Reno,NV,a brochure from the hotel we stayed in when we were there 20 years ago. Don’t ask me which hotel because I cannot remember and have not gone through my crates in years.

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

I have 2 huge crates of souvenirs

Oh my.  I've read a couple of articles in the last couple of years and the gist of them was "Your kids don't want your stuff; get rid of it." We've been working on this for a while.  Just a thought.

12 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh my.  I've read a couple of articles in the last couple of years and the gist of them was "Your kids don't want your stuff; get rid of it." We've been working on this for a while.  Just a thought.

I also have a crate in another closet of old newspapers such as a NY newspaper from Nov.22,1963 and other memorable dates.Magazines going back to 1943.

Magazines with articles about me ,those my grand kids will want to keep as well as newspaper stories about me .

In another closet 60 photograph albums with pictures of every place my wife and I have been to as well as our childhood pictures and pictures that belonged to my parents.After my wife and I leave the planet out children/grandchildren can take whatever they want.My only stipulation is that the keep pictures of my parents going back over 100 years.I also have things I have written plus school yearbooks,diplomas,etc.

Edited by lenquixote66

6 minutes ago, clo said:

Unfortunately those mass produced souvenirs are probably not going to rise in value😂. I remember an antiques road show episode in which somone brought what turned out to be a mass produced souvenir from 19th century Paris. From the time it had been made to the time it ended up on the TV show its rate of inflation was miniscule. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

After my wife and I leave the planet out children/grandchildren can take whatever they want.

We've told our 'kids' now in the 40s that we're not going to micro-manage from beyond the grave.  They can whatever they want.  Period.

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

Unfortunately those mass produced souvenirs are probably not going to rise in value😂. I remember an antiques road show episode in which somone brought what turned out to be a mass produced souvenir from 19th century Paris. From the time it had been made to the time it ended up on the TV show its rate of inflation was miniscule. 

Everything I have kept has sentimental value .I have not kept things that may have monetary value.

• Like 1