Internet pkg overkill? Very confused

Suzcruz57

I purchased the premium internet pkg thru Holland, pre cruise. We also have the AT&T international day pass, $10.00 /24 period, only if you use when out of the country will it activate. But I’m now seeing, that that’s really a land pkg. They offer a cruise  pkg, $100 for data 200 mb, overage $2.00/ mb, unlimited talk and text.  Or $50.00 talk 50 mins overage, 2.00/ min text unlimited. This cruise, being able to communicate with home is important to us, as our family of dogs has grow from one, to now we have 2, and want to know all is well. All that’s offered is very confusing to me. We don’t need to talk to home everyday but the occasional call or text would be good enough for us. Thanks for any advice from experienced cruisers appreciated.

You will be able to send and receive email with your package, and may want to use an app like What'sApp to send texts and make video calls using WiFi. Using the ship's cellular service is very expensive. We get daily messages with pictures from the folks who keep an eye on our four fur kids. Good luck! 

I doubt the AT&T Day pass will include when at sea (I may be wrong!).Cellular at Sea is very expensive for making calls and they are the only provider when at sea. AT&T will work when in port or ashore.

If you have a suitable phone then you can use wifi calling in conjunction with your premium internet package.  Ensure that wifi calling is activated on your phone/ check with your telecoms company.  To operate it just put your phone in 'Flight Mode' then turn on wifi.  You will be able to make calls using the wifi signal onboard with no additional cost.  However, this will not work in port unless you can connect to a wifi signal.  WhatsApp calls are similar, or if you have an iphone then I believe you can use the imessage facility.

Certainly both AT&T and the internet package seem like overkill, but it also depends on your ports and the number of sea days!

I think I would use the internet package and the AT&T daily package (only charged if used) as the back up.

Check the per price text message for on the cruise ship is that would be adequate communication for you.  Mine is 75 cents to send a text and free to receive.  

If you don't need everyday access, I would do the 10$/day and use the phone while in port. 

The other option is to buy the ship wifi to use email, messenger or other communication apps.  

I changed my phone to T-Mobile, Magenta Plus for Seniors. Worked great in all ports for 10 weeks in Europe. Looks like we will be covered on this next canal cruise also. Never made or needed a call but texted all over.

You said you already have the HAL premium internet package, which allows the use of VOIP services, like Skype.   Setup a Skype account on the people doing the house sitting for your dogs, and you will be able to have 2-way video calls or audio calls for zero charge as long as you both have Skype installed.   If you want to use landline or cellular calls to your dog sitters, when you setup a Skype account, add $10 to the account.  You can call any US landline or cell phone number for about 2 cents per minute, using Skype.   Because HAL uses Carnival's Miami based servers, when you make Skype calls using the ship's wi-fi, Skype thinks your phone/tablet is in Miami, so the call is 2 cents per minute.  We did a 28 day south Pacific cruise on the Eurodam, and we setup $10 on Skype.  We called our dog sitter every other day for about 3 minutes, and we still had plenty of money left on Skype when we returned home.