Looking at MSC again

jkgourmet

Two seniors,  very well traveled Americans,  cruised 25+ times on 7 different mass market cruise lines.  We sailed MSC Divina when they first started in the Caribbean and had incredibly inexpensive rates.  And we DID enjoy it.  In fact, we would say the the Divina was the most beautiful ship we've ever sailed.  But we've not been back to MSC since.

We are VERY price driven, but logical enough to know  'you get what you pay for.'  We can certainly afford it, but choose not to book suites, yacht club, etc.  We book the cheapest cabin we can - often an inside GTY.  However, we will not sail without an all inclusive alcohol package.  Which means our last 6 cruises have been on Celebrity - especially since our big online TA pays the gratuities on X.  The prices on X for a cabin (usually required an OV to get the perks) have been unbeatable for what WE want.  

But MSC's early 2020 Caribbean cruises with the Easy alcohol package included are a good bit cheaper than X.  Which has our attention.  

Our biggest priority is good, interesting food - stuff we are not likely to cook at home (escargot, duck, lamb).  We are very open to ethnic variations.  On our prior MSC cruise, we enjoyed the European influenced food choices - no complaints from us at all.  But in reading reviews, I'm concerned that it's changed.  We typically do speciality dining 1-2 times on a 7 day cruise.  MSC's show's were very good - pleasantly higher end and higher quality than our other cruises, and it seems that remains accurate.

Our expectations for a cabin are that it be clean, reasonably comfortable and have decent TV programming.   On these inexpensive cruises, Our expectations for service are that it's polite and reasonably attentive.  Waiting at the bar for a couple of minutes is fine;  ten minutes is not.  We enjoy lounges with quiet music over blaring disco DJ's.  Want to get a lounge nearish the pool fairly easily on port days (we know sea days are bad on ALL cruise ships).  Don't care about massage, exercise rooms, zumba, etc.  Always do country club casual every night for dinner, but not ever doing formal again.

We're looking at two February cruises.  One on the Seaside,  the other on the Meraviglia.  I'd genuinely and sincerely like to hear thoughts about how the experiences on those MSC ships would fit us.

2 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

But in reading reviews, I'm concerned that it's changed.

Nothing has changed.

Actually in my opinion this year MSC even increased the variety of ethnic cuisine alot. On Seaside there was "Speciality" Dining only in the smaller buffet (Asian, Brazilian, Bavarian, Italian, Mexican and two more I forgot). And that was great, for the first time on MSC we skipped some nights at the MDR because of this. 

• Thanks 2

Hello. We have something in common (seniors insisting on a drink package and many mainstream cruises in our past) . I am also very value driven. That said we have stopped cruising a bit because in general pricing has gotten somewhat out of hand in my opinion.  We like X but saw a one week Carib 2021 cruise on their newer APEX in Aqua Class balcony with drinks etc. was over 6000.

We have actually booked several all inclusives and  are leaning towards these trips for many reasons but value is on top.

I digress however-my point/suggestion is to look hard at MSC Yacht Club. I think the value proposition of this category is hard to beat.

After a Seaside cruise in YC this year I don't think we will look back- I will keep looking at offerings from X and HAL (our previous faves) but the price value ratio just doesn't compare with  YC.

You can always do a YC inside which saves significant dollars.

As we enter into retirement in a few years we are certainly going to enjoy are hard earned dollars while our health is good enough to travel freely and when we cruise in Carib YC ticks the value boxes (only caveat being on Europe 'port a day ' cruises the on board amenities mean much less and we would vote for cruises with best itineraries.

JMHO and Happy Cruising

On 12/11/2019 at 11:12 PM, jkgourmet said:

We are VERY price driven, but logical enough to know  'you get what you pay for.'  

But MSC's early 2020 Caribbean cruises with the Easy alcohol package included are a good bit cheaper than X.  Which has our attention.  

We're looking at two February cruises.  One on the Seaside,  the other on the Meraviglia.  I'd genuinely and sincerely like to hear thoughts about how the experiences on those MSC ships would fit us.

I think you are a great candidate to sail MSC again. Keeping expectations aligned with price paid is key to enjoying this cruise line. You may need to try a few different dishes to find something you like, but that's something easy to do.  One thing you may want to note is how limiting the easy package is when compared to other drink packages. Think basic beer, wine, rum/coke, vodka/tonic, with a few mixes tossed in. The easy package works for me, but doesn't work for some of my friends. I've seen prices for February as low as $299 pp on both Seaside and Mera. That's hard to beat in prime the winter sailing months. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

One thing you may want to note is how limiting the easy package is when compared to other drink packages. Think basic beer, wine, rum/coke, vodka/tonic, with a few mixes tossed in. 

I am a bit concerned about the easy package, as there is now no mention at all of wine for the easy package on main description page for the packages. However, it still does say on the comparison page that it includes select house wines by the glass.

I don't mind drinking cheap wine, but I only drink wine so would be remarkably upset it I can't get it at all.

Edited by publicpersona
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

I am a bit concerned about the easy package, as there is now no mention at all of wine for the easy package on main description page for the packages. However, it still does say on the comparison page that it includes select house wines by the glass.

I don't mind drinking cheap wine, but I only drink wine so would be remarkably upset it I can't get it at all.

I can not imagine that MSC won't offer a cheap wine with the easy package. I believe currently there is one white and one red offered (and perhaps a blush?). The package covers up to $6.00, so if you can find any wines listed on current drink menus priced at $6 or below it will be covered. Note that if the wine is above $6 (if only by 50 cents) at say, $6.50, you will pay the entire $6.50. There is no pro-rating.

We always cruise Inside Cabins and our last few MSC cruises we have “enjoyed” the Easy Package. We have cruises on Divina several times and Seaside two times and Meraviglia once and Armonia once, all out of Miami.  We would choose any of those ships again (Armonia being the oldest and most different). We have never experienced any difficulties.

1) can always find a quiet place on any of the ships

2) cabin stewards have been excellent

3) have never waited for service at a bar and most recently observed more bar servers about the poolside even during port days

4) food - not picky eaters and have appreciated everything - husband loves their lamb

5) Butchers Cut on Mera in November was excellent (one thing to note, in any specialty restaurant Easy Package not accepted so we, as do others, get our water and wine from another bar prior to sitting down with no problem)

6) Easy Package - always works for us

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I can not imagine that MSC won't offer a cheap wine with the easy package. I believe currently there is one white and one red offered (and perhaps a blush?). The package covers up to $6.00, so if you can find any wines listed on current drink menus priced at $6 or below it will be covered. Note that if the wine is above $6 (if only by 50 cents) at say, $6.50, you will pay the entire $6.50. There is no pro-rating.

That's the biggest thing that annoys me about this cruise (which we did book).  I know it's common in the industry, but it has been a pleasure that Celebrity does only the difference in cost.  

4 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

Hello. We have something in common (seniors insisting on a drink package and many mainstream cruises in our past) . I am also very value driven. That said we have stopped cruising a bit because in general pricing has gotten somewhat out of hand in my opinion.  We like X but saw a one week Carib 2021 cruise on their newer APEX in Aqua Class balcony with drinks etc. was over 6000.

We have actually booked several all inclusives and  are leaning towards these trips for many reasons but value is on top.

I digress however-my point/suggestion is to look hard at MSC Yacht Club. I think the value proposition of this category is hard to beat.

After a Seaside cruise in YC this year I don't think we will look back- I will keep looking at offerings from X and HAL (our previous faves) but the price value ratio just doesn't compare with  YC.

You can always do a YC inside which saves significant dollars.

As we enter into retirement in a few years we are certainly going to enjoy are hard earned dollars while our health is good enough to travel freely and when we cruise in Carib YC ticks the value boxes (only caveat being on Europe 'port a day ' cruises the on board amenities mean much less and we would vote for cruises with best itineraries.

JMHO and Happy Cruising

Thank you for the reply.   Our bella inside with Easy (and not very good), $25 OBC and wifi is $1619 for both of us.  The inside yacht club cabin would be $3118.  I WAS surprised we were able to pick our cabin and set dining time with a bella cabin - but know it might be changed by MSC.

I'm pretty sure that the YC is still cheaper than the X Aqua class, but we wouldn't know.  On X we "upgrade" from our inside cabin to an OV so we get the (very good) alcohol package and $300 OBC.  AND our gratuities are covered by the big online TA we use.

But the pricing on X is out of control and the pricing on this is VERY good; hence, we're happily trying MSC again.  And no, we're not going to do direct comparisons (except maybe that alcohol package.)

Edited by jkgourmet

14 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Did you decide on Mera or Seaside?

Meraviglia feb 16-23.  There are a couple of ports we've never been to, and we've NEVER sailed a mega ship.  We thought this was a great opportunity to try one.  DH was excited about the Cirque show as well.

Meraviglia was our most recent MSC cruise. Beautiful ship. Embarkation day dinner a little disorganized as there are three dining rooms and no one has it figured out yet. But once you understand the Ship it is absolutely wonderful. Our one regret is that we did not get to the Sky Lounge on Deck 18 until the last evening. It was quiet with few people and great music. Enjoy everything. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cellfree said:

There’s definitely is wine on the Easy Package. Both red (a Cabernet and a Merlot) and white wine. 

That has certainly been the case in the past, and mention of wine remains on the comparison page. However as noted, there is no mention of wine in the description of the Easy Package main description page. We can agree that it would be astonishing if MSC dropped wine off the Easy menu entirely, but I'm kinda used to be astonished by cruise line policies.

I'm also a little concerned that there is language that says specifically that Premium/Plus can get drinks on Ocean Cay. Would it make sense to say that if Easy also gets drinks there?

I'd be willing to consider upgrading from Easy to Premium, but cannot find an option to do so when managing my booking's beverage package choices.

2 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

Thank you for the reply.   Our bella inside with Easy (and not very good), $25 OBC and wifi is $1619 for both of us.  The inside yacht club cabin would be $3118.  I WAS surprised we were able to pick our cabin and set dining time with a bella cabin - but know it might be changed by MSC.

I'm pretty sure that the YC is still cheaper than the X Aqua class, but we wouldn't know.  On X we "upgrade" from our inside cabin to an OV so we get the (very good) alcohol package and $300 OBC.  AND our gratuities are covered by the big online TA we use.

But the pricing on X is out of control and the pricing on this is VERY good; hence, we're happily trying MSC again.  And no, we're not going to do direct comparisons (except maybe that alcohol package.)

Just trying to help you spend some of your money !  We will be on Meraviglia for first time also and are looking forward to it.

Looks as if you got some great fares.  Happy Cruising.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

...I'm also a little concerned that there is language that says specifically that Premium/Plus can get drinks on Ocean Cay. Would it make sense to say that if Easy also gets drinks there?

I'd be willing to consider upgrading from Easy to Premium, but cannot find an option to do so when managing my booking's beverage package choices.

The Easy package is not honored in any specialty restaurants.  On Meraviglia in the specialties there aren't many wine choices for Yacht Club, Premium or old Deluxe packages either with the vast majority over $12 and $14 per glass.  See attached Butcher's Cut drinks menu.

Upgrade from Easy to Premium has to be done through a phone call to MSC.

Wine1.jpg

Wine2.jpg

Wine3.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, April42749 said:

I was on the Mera in Oct.  If you're looking for "fine dining" you might be disappointed.

Reasonable expectations might be the single most important thing to having a happy life.

So - I don't expect "fine dining" in ANY restaurant that serves thousands of people a day - most definitely when they are serving HUNDREDS at exactly the same time.  Nor do we expect "fine dining" at a buffet.  

(We do, however, expect it in a speciality restaurant on a cruise.)

Edited by jkgourmet

3 hours ago, publicpersona said:

That can't be the whole wine menu, can it? All they serve is sparkling wines?

Sorry, grabbed the wrong images above.  Here are the correct ones from Meraviglia Butcher's Cut.

Wine1.jpg

Wine2.jpg

Whether it's a  cruiseline or restaurant, I hate seeing markups like that on bottles of wine.  It's MORE than 4X on the less expensive selections. 😱

One example:  I have a bottle or two of that Terrazas Malbec in my house, and I just confirmed that its price is $9.79USD at Total Wine.  I'm pretty sure I bought mine at Costco,  where the price would have probably been $7.99.  It's a decent malbec when its below ten bucks.  But $44!!!  😩🤬

Edited by jkgourmet

7 hours ago, Até said:

Sorry, grabbed the wrong images above.  Here are the correct ones from Meraviglia Butcher's Cut.

Ate`  thank you.  Did you happen to notice what brand of cabernet sauvignon is offered on the EASY menu?

Edited by jkgourmet

1 hour ago, jkgourmet said:

Did you happen to notice what brand of cabernet sauvignon is offered on the EASY menu?

I'm anticipating jkgourmet's answer will be that no brand is specified other than to say "select house wines". I do know enough about wine distribution to know that these wines are typically purchased in very large quantities at a negotiated price as little as $2 / bottle. Vintage non-specific, and winery may change each time they purchased. They should be consistent to the varietal specified, but characteristics, nose, etc. are quite random. Similar concept as Two Buck Chuck's wine.

Edited by publicpersona