“Live” from Veendam 10 Day Christmas Cruise 12/18/19

Crazy For Cats

5 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning from HMC.  

Last night we had dinner reservations at Canaletto for 6.  We asked if we could dine early to see the tree lighting.  They agreed and we had a nice meal.  Food and service was very good.  

The lighting of the tree was nicely done.  Hot chocolate, hot cider, eggnog (non-alcoholic) and cookies were served.  Christmas ones were sung and the three little ones played their part in the tree lighting.  They did a great job.

At 9 pm there was a show with singers and dancers!  It was the usual introduction show for the cruise.  I was just glad to see them.  They are supposed to have three shows and we will be there for each show to show our support.

For those who wonder our cabin does not have any USB ports in the cabin.  No outlets by the bed.  DH forgot his extension cord for CPAP machine.  One was quickly provided.  Also they still have the old TV system.  No movies or shows on demand.  A little disappointing to take a step back.

I received a credit card alert for 259 from the Veendam.  When I inquired about it they let me know it was the credit hold.  When asked why it wasn’t higher they let me know I had a negative balance.  Apparently OBC does factor into the credit hold. Didn’t know that.

Today we are sharing HMC with the Zuiderdam.  Looking forward to the day.

so the OBC reduces the amount of the hold on your card at embarktion?  good to know!  we are on the Veendam in February, this will be my 3rd time on the ship.  I've heard many complaints that the cabins aren't upgraded, and the TV's etc. but I see you posted that they now have the Navigation app which I used quite a bit last year on our cruise.  keep us posted!   What do you think about the aft "spa area"?

14 minutes ago, VTcruisenut said:

so the OBC reduces the amount of the hold on your card at embarktion?  good to know!  we are on the Veendam in February, this will be my 3rd time on the ship.  I've heard many complaints that the cabins aren't upgraded, and the TV's etc. but I see you posted that they now have the Navigation app which I used quite a bit last year on our cruise.  keep us posted!   What do you think about the aft "spa area"?

I’m not a fan of the aft area disaster. it makes it difficult to enjoy the sea when back there relaxing, drinking or having a snack.  Obviously not a deal breaker as this is our fourth adventure on this ship.

20 hours ago, kazu said:

Sounds like you have a great cabin 😄 

Have a fabulous cruise and a wonderful time.  The cats will be fine (I hope).

Kazu, I have a greater appreciation of your live threads.  Just trying to post one picture was a challenge on my phone.  Language may not have been suitable for all ages.😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Kazu, I have a greater appreciation of your live threads.  Just trying to post one picture was a challenge on my phone.  Language may not have been suitable for all ages.😂😂😂

LOL on the language.  Just say meow meow 😉 

It does get better as you go but it does take time and it depends on internet speed too, sadly.  The good thing is that your internet is unlimited and not by the minute 😉 

We’re happy for anything you have time to post 😄 

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I appreciate the live threads as well.  I briefly thought of doing one last summer for Iceland and Greenland, but decided not to.  I don't know when I would have done it as I was going almost all the time.  

Good Morning as we head to Grand Turk.

Leaving HMC yesterday the Zuiderdam gave us some farewell toots.  The Veendam remained silent.  That was disappointing as I was hoping for a little toot feast between ships.

The singers and dancers were supposed to perform “Dance” last night.  Due to nine foot swells we had the comedian, Dennis Regan.  He wasn’t bad.  We should have the “Dance” show tonight.  The ocean has calmed down a bit, although you can still feel the motion.

I did manage to book two cruises last night and secure a FCD.  If all works out we will be on the cruise to Greenland in August 2021.  The cruise consultant was a pleasure to work with on these bookings.  The cruise consultant did confirm that Ryndam bookings will open up in January.

On the Veendam, Neptune suite guests can still get breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.  I’m not sure if it is open to Club Orange participants.  Also, at least in the lounge the daily papers are still available.

A change in the lido, lounge and cabin is not exciting.  Sugar is now in containers that allow you to pour what you want.  Since this is on every table not a big deal, although they are not labeled.  Artificial sweeteners are a bigger challenge.  Packets of the sweetener are not available in the lido.  There is a limited supply in the lounge.  The sweetener is only available in the lido in containers and only at the coffee stations.  This becomes a challenge when you are served coffee by staff at your meal.  This container is labeled sweetener.  No idea of which sweetener.

We did attend the Captains Welcome toast last night.  He has a wicked sense of humor.  I’m looking forward to the Captains chat later in the cruise.

As mentioned, last night was a bit stormy with heavy rain and swells up to nine feet. It rocked me to sleep so it felt good until it felt like it wanted to toss me out of bed.😆

As expected the crew are being fabulous.  Dewi , who we met in the Canaletto, greats us each morning at breakfast in the lido. She is making sure we are well taken care of.  I will be sure to include her in our post cruise survey.

Edited by Crazy For Cats
Added details
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning as we head to Grand Turk.

The ocean has calmed down a bit, although you can still feel the motion.

I hope the seas smoothen our for you and stay that way 🙂 

I did manage to book two cruises last night and secure a FCD.  If all works out we will be on the cruise to Greenland in August 2021.  The cruise consultant was a pleasure to work with on these bookings.  The cruise consultant did confirm that Ryndam bookings will open up in January.

On the Veendam, Neptune suite guests can still get breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.  I’m not sure if it is open to Club Orange participants.  Also, at least in the lounge the daily papers are still available.

Thanks for confirming on the PG breakfast.  It shouldn’t be open to the CO participants, I don’t think.

Artificial sweeteners are a bigger challenge.  Packets of the sweetener are not available in the lido.  There is a limited supply in the lounge.  The sweetener is only available in the lido in containers and only at the coffee stations.  This becomes a challenge when you are served coffee by staff at your meal.  This container is labeled sweetener.  No idea of which sweetener.

Oh dear, while I drink my coffee and tea black, that sure isn’t good for people using artificial sweeteners.  Plus, it sounds like the choice is more limited now?

Thanks for the updates.  Very enjoyable read and informative 😄 

• Like 1

Tonight we went to Canaletto again to try their Friday special meal, chicken curry.  It was very good.  

The singers and dancers performed “Dance” tonight.  For us it was a rerun.  I will say that they did a great job.  The dancers more so than the singers.  

Laundry service was spot on.  They collected the bag at 9 am and the clean laundry was returned when we came back from 4 pm happy hour.

The Veendam no longer has water in plastic bottles for sale.  They are selling canned water.  They are 16 oz bottles and do have a screw cap so are good for excursions ashore.

Tomorrow is Amber Cove and we have an early adventure planned.

The Veendam has not yet tooted at departure.

On 12/20/2019 at 1:26 PM, kazu said:

I hope the seas smoothen our for you and stay that way 🙂 

Thanks for confirming on the PG breakfast.  It shouldn’t be open to the CO participants, I don’t think.

Oh dear, while I drink my coffee and tea black, that sure isn’t good for people using artificial sweeteners.  Plus, it sounds like the choice is more limited now?

Thanks for the updates.  Very enjoyable read and informative 😄 

Hi Kazu,  I asked the concierge this afternoon about Club Orange in the PG.  she confirmed that the Pinnacle Grill is just for Neptune and Pinnacle suites only.

This morning sweetener packets were gone from the lounge.  They were replaced with a container filled with stevia.  No more packets to save the environment.  When I asked about packets for the cabins I was told I could use the container from the lounge.  I asked, “What do I do when I make coffee before your open?”  They didn’t have an answer.  Apparently after I complained to the hotel manager they were able to find me enough packets for the cruise.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Got all caught up tonight on your wonderful report!!! Thank you so much! At Canellto  are they serving Oso Bucco ? Just inquiring since we love it! Have a great time.

Denise😊

Hi Denise, Osso Buffon is currently the Monday special dish.  Thanks..

21 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Hi Kazu,  I asked the concierge this afternoon about Club Orange in the PG.  she confirmed that the Pinnacle Grill is just for Neptune and Pinnacle suites only.

This morning sweetener packets were gone from the lounge.  They were replaced with a container filled with stevia.  No more packets to save the environment.  When I asked about packets for the cabins I was told I could use the container from the lounge.  I asked, “What do I do when I make coffee before your open?”  They didn’t have an answer.  Apparently after I complained to the hotel manager they were able to find me enough packets for the cruise.

Thanks for the info Crazy.  Sheesh on no sweetener in the Neptune Suites.

I totally get that they want to save on the packaging and packets, but if that’s the case, they should have little ramekins available to use with Saran in the Neptune Lounge or even better, have them filled next to your coffee maker in the suite wrapped in Saran.  And of course, now they need spoons 😉 

Glad they found packets for you.  Not much point in a coffeemaker if you can’t have what you want in your coffee 😉