Royal Class insides - regular or "sideways" - which do you prefer?

AtlantaCruiser72

11 hours ago, metairiegal said:

If you look at post #11, second picture, you can see the dresser drawers and the location of the cabin door.  Since the door opens to the inside of the cabin, if one of the dresser drawers is pulled out, the door bangs into it and the person entering has to wait to enter until the drawer is in the closed position.  It actually happened to us several times.

Must be dyslexia or something.  LOL.  Thanks.  (Maybe "dresser" threw me off).

Edited by steelers36

I love the sideways cabins, too.  On a 26 day cruise, several other singles I met came to look at my cabin and were surprised at the longer desk area, additional shelf/storage space.  If I'm inside on a newer ship, only sideways for me. 

On the older ships, Plaza deck to be close to the International cafe.  I'm pretty fussy about my location, never on the upper decks as I don't use the buffet at all.

• 2 years later...
On 1/4/2020 at 2:44 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Thanks again to all for their kind contributions of photos and first hand insight! 

As I previously indicated we chose a midship sideways room on Baja Deck and I feel it was the "right" choice for the following reasons:

1. Extra space/storage at the desk area and in the closet

2. Extra width in cabin allows extra separation between the beds and the ability to store items between nighttables/beds if desired 

3. Ability to enter/exit room while other occupant in bathroom with door open or dressing without feeling we are "disturbing" one another

4. While there may be some light bleed from corridor (when opening door) into the sleeping area, you get that to a lesser degree with a traditional interior room as well.  Mum wears a sleeping mask most times anyways and I could sleep in full daylight, so really a non-issue.  We'll just have to use the peep-hole to ensure the Paparazzi are not camped outside to snatch photos to send to the National Enquirer or the Star, before we leave the room, if one of us is still in bed 🙂

Looking forward to my first sailing on a Royal Class vessel, sadly it's 15 months off!

Did you end up booking the Sideways Interior?  We just booked this cabin for two more cruises.

20 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Did you end up booking the Sideways Interior?  We just booked this cabin for two more cruises.

While did end up booking a sideways cabin, we went through several rounds of cancel/reboooks and are now booked on the Caribbean Princess in a "normal" cabin layout.  Waiting for fall/winter/Spring 2023-24 sailings to the Caribbean to be published and targeting the Enchanted for then and will definitely book a sideways room.

• Like 1

Just now, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

While did end up booking a sideways cabin, we went through several rounds of cancel/reboooks and are now booked on the Caribbean Princess in a "normal" cabin layout.  Waiting for fall/winter/Spring 2023-24 sailings to the Caribbean to be published and targeting the Enchanted for then and will definitely book a sideways room.

I am actually looking forward to the larger desk area.

2 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

the additional desk area, larger space between the beds when separated and additional storage space in the closet all make the sideways layout a winner imho

Yes, most definitely the additional shelving in the closet area. That was great. This time we are going on a B2B so the extra storage will be perfect.

We'll have our 1st sideways this Nov., on the Regal. When we open the cabin door do we face the end of the bed? I've seen several photos of sideways cabins, but still can't quite picture the layout. Thanks! 😊

3 minutes ago, 1965 said:

We'll have our 1st sideways this Nov., on the Regal. When we open the cabin door do we face the end of the bed? I've seen several photos of sideways cabins, but still can't quite picture the layout. Thanks! 😊

I have a post that I started a few years ago that has photos if you want to search for it.

• Like 1

The sideways do kind of give you an exposed feeling when the door is open.  From the door you see the side of the bed  (more just the feet end side) and the desk.  But for me, the extra space and the better layout is worth it.  Not many times are people opening the door with someone still lying in the bed.

Don

Edited by Mud_Shark
  • Like 2

I had a sideways my last cruise on Majestic. While I liked the dressing area and bathroom farther away from the door, particularly with the automatic light outside the bathroom, what I found is that it's noisier, since the bed is closer to the door, and a couple across the hall were constantly ordering room service at all hours, so the noise and slamming doors bothered my sleep. The steward in the hall was much more audible, so I didn't feel I had as much privacy. All those outweighed the positives for me, even though there's slightly more square footage.