Royal Class insides - regular or "sideways" - which do you prefer?

AtlantaCruiser72

As the title says, I'd like peoples feedback on the inside cabins on the Royal Class ships as to which interior layout they prefer and why - regular or "sideways".  I know the sideways rooms are a bit larger, but not sure what other benefit there is to the sideways layout. 

Weighing pros/cons of each and trying to decide which I want for my 2021 Transatlantic on the Enchanted.   If it helps with feedback I'll be travelling with me Mum and we will have beds separated.  

Many Thanks in advance for your thoughtful responses!

2 minutes ago, Mud_Shark said:

We prefer the sideways - for the extra room, but be warned - when you open the door to the room - the bed is in plain sight right up close.

I thought of that, but as long as the paparazzi are not standing in the hallway with cameras at the ready I don't think it should be an issue.  Just need to check the hall before opening door if one of us is in bed.

My biggest concern is with noise bleed from the hall, or light from hall seeping into the room when opening/closing the door and disturbing the other persons sleep, etc

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mud_Shark said:

We prefer the sideways - for the extra room, but be warned - when you open the door to the room - the bed is in plain sight right up close.

Don

We always take sideways when available but the bed with whoever is in it is easily seen when the cabin door is open

• Like 1

Recently was in a sideways interior cabin on the Sky for 28 days & liked everything better than a standard interior cabin.

Having the hallway door between the bed & the desk/TV wasn’t a problem for us like some have said was a negative for them.  We didn’t have a quad cabin but took a photo of one during turnaround day showing why we’d never want one with the upper bunks protruding from the sidewalls.

We also preferred the additional racks & shelves storage areas located outside of the bathroom.

94B535F4-0F68-4563-9AEF-C7CB9496D0E0.jpeg

24731207-45CC-4A58-9D3D-F18220AFF8C7.jpeg

E99034C9-FF86-478B-B179-A153CE11CE20.jpeg

I prefer the newer sideways configuration for the larger desk space and the closet/shelving area.  There is the mentioned drawback of the door opening directly into the bedroom area.  With the traditional cabin, stepping in from the corridor, one encounters the bathroom and closet areas first and the beds are furthest from the entrance door, offering more privacy and less disturbance if one mate returns to cabin later in evening than the other.  I believe the pluses for the sideways out-weigh the minus.  

I will say that other factors can influence us.  For example our next cruise (on Regal), we are in a Riviera sideways where we have been before.  However, we are in an Emerald regular inside on a subsequent cruise (on Sky) because we had a mid-ship partially-obstructed(not really) balcony on Emerald deck (Regal again) and loved the location.  I was able to scoop that balcony for virtually same price as an Inside.  So, now we are returning to the same location, albeit across the corridor, and expect to enjoy that.

• Like 1

Hated the sideways!  People love it, that is why we booked it.  But, it sure didn't seem bigger to me.  You don't get that feeling of space when walking into the cabin.  You open the door and - bam! - you are by the bed.  You can't even have the dresser drawer open at the same time as the cabin door, or they bang into each other.  If someone is coming into the cabin, they have to wait until you close the drawer.  Never again. 

Thanks again to all for their kind contributions of photos and first hand insight! 

As I previously indicated we chose a midship sideways room on Baja Deck and I feel it was the "right" choice for the following reasons:

1. Extra space/storage at the desk area and in the closet

2. Extra width in cabin allows extra separation between the beds and the ability to store items between nighttables/beds if desired 

3. Ability to enter/exit room while other occupant in bathroom with door open or dressing without feeling we are "disturbing" one another

4. While there may be some light bleed from corridor (when opening door) into the sleeping area, you get that to a lesser degree with a traditional interior room as well.  Mum wears a sleeping mask most times anyways and I could sleep in full daylight, so really a non-issue.  We'll just have to use the peep-hole to ensure the Paparazzi are not camped outside to snatch photos to send to the National Enquirer or the Star, before we leave the room, if one of us is still in bed :)

Looking forward to my first sailing on a Royal Class vessel, sadly it's 15 months off!

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

On 1/3/2020 at 9:58 AM, metairiegal said:

You can't even have the dresser drawer open at the same time as the cabin door, or they bang into each other.

Not to disagree with your opinion of the sideways inside layout, but not sure what you mean by a dresser drawer above.  Not a drawer near the corridor entrance door AFAIK (and from photos above).

30 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Thanks again to all for their kind contributions of photos and first hand insight! 

As I previously indicated we chose a midship sideways room on Baja Deck and I feel it was the "right" choice for the following reasons:

1. Extra space/storage at the desk area and in the closet

2. Extra width in cabin allows extra separation between the beds and the ability to store items between nighttables/beds if desired 

3. Ability to enter/exit room while other occupant in bathroom with door open or dressing without feeling we are "disturbing" one another

4. While there may be some light bleed from corridor (when opening door) into the sleeping area, you get that to a lesser degree with a traditional interior room as well.  Mum wears a sleeping mask most times anyways and I could sleep in full daylight, so really a non-issue.  We'll just have to use the peep-hole to ensure the Paparazzi are not camped outside to snatch photos to send to the National Enquirer or the Star, before we leave the room, if one of us is still in bed 🙂

Looking forward to my first sailing on a Royal Class vessel, sadly it's 15 months off!

With you on 1,2,3 and first sentence of 4.  Never been chased by paparazzi - lol.  If we have a regular Inside, my wife takes the far bed and there is very little light disturbance when arriving back to the cabin late.  The sideways isn't too bad as the door opens into the end of the bed and pretty easy to slip in sideways and close the door.  It's more of a noise issue than light IMO. 

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 6:14 PM, steelers36 said:

Not to disagree with your opinion of the sideways inside layout, but not sure what you mean by a dresser drawer above.  Not a drawer near the corridor entrance door AFAIK (and from photos above).

If you look at post #11, second picture, you can see the dresser drawers and the location of the cabin door.  Since the door opens to the inside of the cabin, if one of the dresser drawers is pulled out, the door bangs into it and the person entering has to wait to enter until the drawer is in the closed position.  It actually happened to us several times.

3 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I would prefer the bed being parallel to the ship as opposed to being perpendicular.  Would it be fair to say that that is sideways? 

A sideways is parallel to the length of the ship;  a standard is perpendicular.

4 hours ago, metairiegal said:

If you look at post #11, second picture, you can see the dresser drawers and the location of the cabin door.  Since the door opens to the inside of the cabin, if one of the dresser drawers is pulled out, the door bangs into it and the person entering has to wait to enter until the drawer is in the closed position.  It actually happened to us several times.

Luckily we did not have that happen to us at all. I much prefer this to the layout we had on our cruise two weeks prior in a deluxe balcony cabin. There were three of us in the cabin for that cruise.  Every night when we returned from dinner the sofa bed would be pulled out and you could not open the refrigerator door. We could never get to our sodas or our rum.  They should move the refrigerator to the other end of the desk in type of cabin.