Sydney Zoo

In all zoos in New South Wales you can get close to koalas, but you are not permitted to hold them. This is a state law.

If you are travelling to Brisbane and want to get really close to koalas, you can go to Lone Pine Sanctuary where you are permitted to hold one.

• 4 weeks later...

We went to Toranga zoo last week and spent most of the day there. Toranga Zoo is government run while the wildlife zoo is a private for profit zoo. We prebooked online and received a discount with a 2 day hoho ferry ticket.

On 1/9/2020 at 8:33 AM, Aus Traveller said:

you can go to Lone Pine Sanctuary where you are permitted to hold one

For a substantial wodge of cash.

Taronga is OK as a zoo, but it probably has the best views of any zoo in the world. It's also easy to get to.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

18 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I didn't know that. When I last went there the only koala holding option I saw cost $120.

The entry price is $42, the koala holidng experience is $150 - and its in Brisbane - which doesn't really help the OP 

38 minutes ago, lissie said:

The entry price is $42, the koala holidng experience is $150 - and its in Brisbane - which doesn't really help the OP 

Isn't it $150 for the whole 45 minutes Koala experience which involves more than holding a koala? If I remember correctly, holding a koala was free but if you wanted a photo it was $25-$30 extra. 

Leigh

2 hours ago, lissie said:

I mentioned Lone Pine in Brisbane because visitors are not permitted to hold a koala in NSW zoos.

Details from the Lone Pine website are as follows:

There are a number of ways that you can meet a koala at Lone Pine.

Touch a Koala - FREE

During this free experience, you can stand next to a koala, feel their fur, and take photos on your own mobile phone or camera. Ask our experienced koala keepers all of your koala questions.

This experience is perfect for young children and their families.

Availability: 11:00am and 1:00pm daily.

Hold a Koala - $25 per person

Koala holding experiences start at $25 per person and include a professionally printed photograph and high-resolution download.

Availability: Tickets available from 9:30am daily. Spaces are limited.

Due to the current hot weather, and to ensure positive animal welfare, there may be a break from koala holding in the middle of the day when temperatures are at their highest.

Wild Encounter: Koala – from $120 per person

If learning more about this iconic species is on your bucket list, our 45-minute koala encounters are for you. Encounters include entry into the sanctuary, guided tour, koala hold, and professionally printed photo.

Spaces are limited (maximum 6 guests per encounter).

Availability: 9:00am and 2:30pm, Monday to Friday.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I mentioned Lone Pine in Brisbane because visitors are not permitted to hold a koala in NSW zoos.

Wild Encounter: Koala – from $120 per person

If learning more about this iconic species is on your bucket list, our 45-minute koala encounters are for you. Encounters include entry into the sanctuary, guided tour, koala hold, and professionally printed photo.

Spaces are limited (maximum 6 guests per encounter).

Availability: 9:00am and 2:30pm, Monday to Friday.

I kinda assumed this one as it mentions a photo. I'm also fairly shocked that  this is allowed - surely its not good for the Koalas 

Just now, lissie said:

I kinda assumed this one as it mentions a photo. I'm also fairly shocked that  this is allowed - surely its not good for the Koalas 

But the 'hold a koala and get a photo' is $25 - not a bad price. According to the Lone Pine website, they carefully monitor which koalas people can interact with and for how long.