Victoria, BC from 7-midnight

JRICHD

If it's a Friday/Saturday in summer, the Royal BC Museum stays open late (IIRC to 10pm) - but everything else in Victoria that's ticketed pretty much shuts down by 6pm or earlier year-round. Butchart Gardens, well outside of town, has variable hours - there's a firework show summer Saturdays that is worth seeing, though personally unless sunset is at least 9pm I would not go to the gardens as you won't have close to enough time to see them in daylight - artificial lighting and gardens just doesn't do diddly for me, especially given how large some parts of Butchart are you can't possibly see all the plants well once its dark.

Personally I'd hit the pub - but not on a cruiseline 'pub crawl' as a busload of tourists rolling in wrecks the atmosphere of even a great pub! Instead, just walk around and see the pretty exteriors as noted above (many are lit up), maybe listen to some buskers in the Inner Harbour as on cruise nights there's usually some entertainers around, shop if that's your thing (stores stay open late on cruise nights, gotta get those tourist bucks), and then check out some of the many pubs until you find one with a vibe you like. Bard & Banker does a lot of live music, but we usually hit Swans for the beer (one of two pubs with a correct-temperature beer cellar, as well as a too-cold one for folks who haven't been raised in the True Faith 😉 )

• Like 1

A couple of years ago, I happened to be in downtown Victoria in the evening when a cruise ship was in.  The Inner Harbour area was hopping with buskers, etc.  Agree with others, just wander down there for awhile before finding  pub (which aren't hard to find)

• 1 month later...

we are staying on the ship this time, since we are from the Seattle area and have been to Victoria many times. Our first AK cruise, we did get off the ship and walk around downtown.  PP are correct, there are a lot of great pubs. If you are looking for a late dinner and outstanding drinks, I HIGHLY recommend Little Jumbo. It's walkable from the far side of the harbor (note: it's a bit of a walk from the cruise terminal to the harbor area, there is not any Uber or Lyft in Victoria). It's an outstanding place. Very small, so make reservations, particularly if you are in town on a Friday or Saturday evening.  The inner harbor area is lovely at night. It's a low-cost port after the others!

On 1/17/2020 at 2:51 PM, JRICHD said:

What should we do or see with only a few scant hours in the evening in Victoria?  It doesn't seem like any of the listed shore excursions would be worthwhile at that time.

JD

I'm from not too far from you in Oklahoma. 🙂 There's an interesting little place we've ate at a couple times when our cruises have stopped in Victoria. It's about a 15 minute cab ride from the dock. Their specialty is Poutine from Montreal. If you don't know what poutine is... Ha Ha  It's a dish from Quebec that's French Fries with brown gravy and cheese curds. There's several varieties where they add maybe chicken, beef, mushrooms, grilled onions, etc.  It's called La Belle Patate (The Beautiful Potato) on Esquimalt Road about a mile or so from the central business district (Government Street).  It's kind of a fun place - one big table and a few stools at a window counter plus a couple small tables on the sidewalk - it's mostly locals picking up stuff to take home. There's also excellent burgers and "steamies" (hotdogs).  I've become friends with the owner just from eating there.  It's cool because it's away from the tourists - he says there will be cruise passengers come from time to time though. He said people from the South REALLY like his poutine. Ha Ha  We'll take a cab back to Government street to do a little shopping and then it's close to time to get back to the ship - there's a shuttle one can take or just walk (about another mile).

001.jpg

002.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SuperCrewBear said:

I'm from not too far from you in Oklahoma. 🙂 There's an interesting little place we've ate at a couple times when our cruises have stopped in Victoria. It's about a 15 minute cab ride from the dock. Their specialty is Poutine from Montreal. If you don't know what poutine is... Ha Ha  It's a dish from Quebec that's French Fries with brown gravy and cheese curds. There's several varieties where they add maybe chicken, beef, mushrooms, grilled onions, etc.  It's called La Belle Patate (The Beautiful Potato) on Esquimalt Road about a mile or so from the central business district (Government Street).  It's kind of a fun place - one big table and a few stools at a window counter plus a couple small tables on the sidewalk - it's mostly locals picking up stuff to take home. There's also excellent burgers and "steamies" (hotdogs).  I've become friends with the owner just from eating there.  It's cool because it's away from the tourists - he says there will be cruise passengers come from time to time though. He said people from the South REALLY like his poutine. Ha Ha  We'll take a cab back to Government street to do a little shopping and then it's close to time to get back to the ship - there's a shuttle one can take or just walk (about another mile).

Lol this is in my 'hood. It's the best poutine in town.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/28/2020 at 10:42 AM, newcruisefamily said:

poutine is delicous! fun fact: you can get poutine at the Costco food court in Canada (well, in Vancouver, anyway).

YES! It is delicious. Gotta say Wendy's is offering up some tasty poutine as well. Purists will balk, but we think it's good. 😊

• Haha 1