If I bid on a balcony is it possible to get the worst

Gracelyn

So I’m debating on bidding on a balcony, but upon reviewing balcony options I noticed that some are completely closed in? Fully obstructed or partially obstructed. 
my question is if they accept the bid,I could get one of these? Also, if they accept the poor bid am I more apt to get a poor balcony? 
im in an OA picture window presently on the Jewell 

gracelyn 

Edited by Gracelyn

4 minutes ago, Gracelyn said:

So I’m debating on bidding on a balcony, but upon reviewing balcony options I noticed that some are completely closed in? Fully obstructed or partially obstructed. 
my question is if they accept the bid,I could get one of these? Also, if they accept the poor bid am I more apt to get a poor balcony? 

gracelyn 

If you bid on a balcony and it's accepted...... you will receive any balcony in that category.   Be careful........ if your bid is accepted then it's final and also remember that the rooms in inventory are also the ones no one wanted. 

No one knows the algorithm on how bids are accepted (done by a third party)....... a poor bid could get an amazing location or not. 

Awe, yes makes sense. Almost too nerve racking. Do they let you know your room assignment with acceptance? Or is it possible to get a” sail away” balcony no idea what that is lol

Edited by Gracelyn

28 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

IF on a ship with Mini Suites, they are usually in good locations...think about bidding up to that level, if possible.  

It does have mini suites but also says some have full or partial obstruction. I have been thinking that maybe better luck tho. 

You could get the best, you could get the worst or anything in-between.  Empty cabins do not necessarily mean nobody wanted them - people cancel and people upgrade, leaving desirable cabins empty.  Sometimes a good cabin is available but difficult to sell because of crowd-control (there are limits to how many people can be in any given location due to lifeboat capacity).  They might want your room because of location or category, so are offering the upgrade to a category with lots of nice but undersold cabins.  Anything is possible.

59 minutes ago, Gracelyn said:

my question is if they accept the bid,I could get one of these?

Yes, you absolutely could.....!

1 hour ago, Gracelyn said:

Or is it possible to get a” sail away” balcony no idea what that is lol

"Sail away" is not a specific set of cabins, but rather a rate that doesn't include the Free at Sea perks.

There are no obstructed balconies on Jewel, but it has something called "Privasea" or enclosed balcony.

There are several pictures and videos of them. Some people like them some not.

If  you look the NCL Jewel photo (for example on the Wikipedia) you may notice them on the decks 8,9 and 10 on the fwd part of the ship.

4 hours ago, lixogab said:

"Sail away" is not a specific set of cabins, but rather a rate that doesn't include the Free at Sea perks.

There are no obstructed balconies on Jewel, but it has something called "Privasea" or enclosed balcony.

There are several pictures and videos of them. Some people like them some not.

If  you look the NCL Jewel photo (for example on the Wikipedia) you may notice them on the decks 8,9 and 10 on the fwd part of the ship.

Oh that makes it Worth bidding for now! I have stayed on the privacy balcony on Holland America and had no problems with it. How did you know that there was no obstructed balconies on the Jewel? Gracelyn 

17 minutes ago, Gracelyn said:

Oh that makes it Worth bidding for now! I have stayed on the privacy balcony on Holland America and had no problems with it. How did you know that there was no obstructed balconies on the Jewel? Gracelyn 

There are no "obstructed" balcony views on any NCL ship. 

6 hours ago, Gracelyn said:

gracelyn 

Not only possible, but probable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gracelyn said:

This is from their website476D3B70-F971-4C7C-8FC4-DD1A7B0F55A7.thumb.jpeg.ad1307879edb32eae912fc0fea062cb6.jpeg

@lixogab mentioned the privasea and those would be considered obstructed, any balcony that may have a lifeboat UNDER the balcony and obstructs the view of the water directly below is considered obstructed, a lower balcony with the "waterfront" area (not on the Jewel class) UNDER the balcony and obstructs the view of the water directly below is considered obstructed.     This is for the lawyers when people whine that they can't see the water directly below, etc. 

I'm not being critical because bidding is not for everyone but I'd recommend bidding is probably not for you as your anxiety over location and category will not make it enjoyable. Call NCL or your TA directly and see about purchasing an upgrade so you can pick the room. 

• Like 1

To me, a cabin’s location is very important. I try to avoid being above or below a noisy public area, for example. When you bid, or book guarantee, you have no control over your cabin location. So you need to be prepared to be in the worst cabin in the category, in the worst location. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Gracelyn said:

Well, I did an extensive research before bidding myself (and finally getting an BX and then upgrading to BA through regular upgrade).

If you check the deck plans , there are obstructed oceanviews (and you can see the boats in front of the stateroom windows) , but there are no such category as obstructed balconies. The BX are  sailaway meaning that they can give you any balcony (and FAS is not included).

Also I searched for NCL Jewel  obstructed balcony and there are no reports other than pointing to topics like : https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/255273-jewel-obstructed-balcony-cabins/

Hope this helps

52 minutes ago, lixogab said:

....The BX are  sailaway meaning that they can give you any balcony (and FAS is not included).....

Not true, in the UK the BX (IX and OX also) category is available with or without FAS (£99 extra for a 7 night cruise).

OP, for the Jewel or similar ships in the general class/tonnage like the Gem or Star, Dawn is nearly identical - there are no fully obstructed balcony stateroom, and yes, there are what some considered partially "obstructed" balcony known as Privasea balconies - mainly, Deck 8 Fwd.  

Wordings used by NCL in its generic description is for them to cover all their bases.  The Epic might be an exception with lifeboats overhanging but you aren't sailing that unique ship with other design "issues".  

Recently, we bid a fairly low ("fair" range) from Inside Sideway "IB" on Deck 8 Mid to win our GTY upgrade to an unobstructed OV, category "OA" on Deck 5 Mid.  Our bid for a balcony didn't get accepted as we could've ended up with a Privasea balcony on Deck 8 - these are the odds/chances that there is always a slim possibility of getting the "worst" cabin in that upgraded category.  Folks had been shocked & upset with being upgraded by being moved from Deck 8 to Deck 4 on these ships.  

Regardless, there is no absolute guarantee against noisy next door neighbors, kids screaming & crying and inconsiderate cruisers slamming doors across the hallway.  

Deck, location & specific section aren't important to us - others with different priorities & values will not take chances, it's up to you.  Every now & then, folks had been pleasantly surprised getting an AFT (extended) balcony with a BX booking.  One of our BIL just booked 2 BX on the Bliss sailing this April - got 2 nice "BA" category, Deck 11 Mid/Fwd porside ... 3 doors apart; not bad at all, for what they've paid using 2 CruiseNext each.  Just joked with them to put in a low, cheap bid for an oversized bathroom & see what happen in a few weeks (that's for a "mini" suite upgrade) ... with luck, NCL might toss them lower to Deck 8 or 9 Fwd with one of those large/extended mini's.  

Just now, Gracelyn said:

Mking, I am just learning about the different categories. Wouldn’t it be nice to have the choice on location of where your bidding?

You get to choose your cabin when you pay to do so. You want a bargain? Book a guarantee, a sailaway cabin, or try your luck with a bid. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here is a youtube video done by John Devlin of privasea or hull balcony 8034 on the Jewel.   Still lots of viewing room to the outside and it is harder for your neighbor to lean around the divider and look in to your balcony.  The little ledge would make a fine drink holder or footrest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrHCwS4U0Gs

and here is an older youtube video by 691leeps of balcony 8542 on the Jewel.   Person sitting on the balcony looks comfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2LVXmRTMJM

Edited by kjquilts
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kjquilts said:

Here is a youtube video done by John Devlin of privasea or hull balcony 8034 on the Jewel.   Still lots of viewing room to the outside and it is harder for your neighbor to lean around the divider and look in to your balcony.  The little ledge would make a fine drink holder or footrest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrHCwS4U0Gs

and here is an older youtube video by 691leeps of balcony 8542 on the Jewel.   Person sitting on the balcony looks comfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2LVXmRTMJM

Those were great. Gave me an insight. Thank you