Chocolate Sphere in Luminea

rollie

29 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

No extra charge for the chocolate sphere. They usually only do it on longer cruises. We were told it is typically a day 10 menu item.

That's too bad, as we're doing a five day cruise.  Thanks for your reply.

Rollie

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

They had it on Eclipse last week in Luminae.  14 day South America.  It was amazing to watch it melt!

I’ve seen video’s of it, and it does look amazing. Just sorry that we won’t be able to enjoy one on our next cruise.  

Rollie

While the sphere is really impressive presentation, the taste may leave you a bit disappointed.   It can also depend on the server.   I had one server who couldn't get it to set fire and kept pouring more and more brandy on it... by the time I got to eat it, it was so overpowered with booze that I couldn't eat it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

While the sphere is really impressive presentation, the taste may leave you a bit disappointed.   ......

I agree with Jim (Hello to both of you).  I LOVE a good dark chocolate with a high percentage of cacao  The sphere flavor is more like a milk chocolate.

We had it on our 12 or so day Panama canal cruise on Infinity in November. I don't order many deserts (trying to keep my "girlish" figure), but I always succumb to the spectacle and love when it comes around.

And no extra charge....in fact we were in Tuscan (husband request) and missed the sphere night....the waiter and Matre 'd were happy I asked about it at lunch the next day (not knowing what i had missed) and they had one for me that night, with great ceremony!

I was really disappointed with the Sphere on Edge.    Due to the layout of the room and sprinklers they are unable to do the flaming brandy.    They have spheres that are totally filled with Mocha Ice Cream and then pour a hot chocolate sauce on them.  

While very dramatic the ones in Eden are a Big White Chocolate but not much inside.  If I recall it was kinda a small spongy glob of something that was not really exciting.    I was however impressed with the Red Apple Desert.

image.thumb.png.34a7c512559431a7b6520bd32a7fe61c.png

Jim, I had the Red Apple dessert and was really disappointed in it as it was very dry and a bit boring.  But any one dish can be great on night and maybe not so great the next.  Trust me, I’d already over eaten so it wasn’t a problem but I did have a bite or two of the white chocolate delight.  Eden was our favorite meal on the Edge.

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

While the sphere is really impressive presentation, the taste may leave you a bit disappointed.   It can also depend on the server.   I had one server who couldn't get it to set fire and kept pouring more and more brandy on it... by the time I got to eat it, it was so overpowered with booze that I couldn't eat it.

13 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Thanks @Jim_Iain  - I had that already on the list to try until I saw your explanation about presentation on the Edge. That substitute just won’t cut it. 

Jim, I've been watching....  You are the real deal.  You have great commentary.   Accurate! 

Maybe will run into you some day cruising....  Ciao, Doug

13 hours ago, Oville said:

Jim, I had the Red Apple dessert and was really disappointed in it as it was very dry and a bit boring.  But any one dish can be great on night and maybe not so great the next.  Trust me, I’d already over eaten so it wasn’t a problem but I did have a bite or two of the white chocolate delight.  Eden was our favorite meal on the Edge.

Ahh... sorry to hear.    It is really beautiful and looked good.   I was having desert envy until you let me know. 

I agree with you.   i was so stuffed i really didn't need desert but I do have a sweet tooth.   

13 hours ago, DK92056 said:

Jim, I've been watching....  You are the real deal.  You have great commentary.   Accurate! 

Maybe will run into you some day cruising....  Ciao, Doug

Doug,

Thanks... I also hope we get to cruise together.   I've met so many nice people from CC.  I deliberately used our names in our username because I always have a problem matching someones  handle with their real name.   It does blow iain's mind at times as he never reads CC and people come up to him and address him by name..... LOL.