First Night MDR Menu?

GeorgesGal

Since menus change so frequently, I'd bet there's no predicting.  We have found that the first night is an excellent time for a specialty restaurant since there seems to be less demand that night -- lots of people (like those who flew in that morning) are usually tired and don't feel like changing into something less uncomfortable ... several times we went to the GDR on the first evening and were asked if we wanted to go to a specialty.  I know we're not the only people this has happened to!

4 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

We've  only done 4 Oceania cruises, but each time we have been offered specialty restaurant seating when we got on the ship. Stop by the concierge desk.

Was this for sharing only? Or were there tables for 2 available?

When they offered,  we asked for sharing.  On the last cruise we were on the Marina and we walked over as soon as we boarded to the desk where you make reservations (deck 5) and asked if they had any openings in specialty restaurants.  They had 2 of the 4 and had severall times.

On our other cruises someone was standing on deck 5 asking people if they were interested in specialty  restaurants  that evening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GeorgesGal said:

Thanks, Mura!  Are you and DH back to cruising yet?

Donna

I only wish!  Howard doesn't want to travel any more because of his vision problems -- when you can't really see what you are looking at, travel loses a lot of its desirability!  Plus he recently had a cancer diagnosis, which fortunately is very early.  I would travel solo but he's also concerned about staying home alone -- because of the vision problems.

I'm waiting to see if there are any changes ...

Thanks for asking, Donna!

Mura

Mura, I am SO sorry to hear that.   My thoughts are with you.

As my husband has been spent the last two years trying to save his vision.  

And, I am not getting any younger or healthier myself.  I am limited.

It can be difficult.

That is def. why we hope to cruise and see Europe while we still can!

I have a different question, if I can piggyback here.

If we only have one reservation at each of these restaurants,  can we order extra appetizers, or even an entree, so that we can enjoy different things?   (No, we are def. NOT big eaters!  And I really really hate waste... But we are talking a short cruise on Oceania, right!)

Edited by Wishing on a star

My husband has been known to order two main courses along with one of everything else!  Another thing that has been suggested is to ask for appetizer portions of two different main courses.  Clo is one (I believe) who routinely orders two appetizers in place of a main course.

My sister always did this at my family's favorite restaurant in Los Angeles (sadly, now long gone).  In the end the restaurant thought that was a great idea and created a appetizer selection:  three tiers holding perhaps half a dozen appetizers on each.  It became a very popular item!

Wishing your husband good fortune regarding his vision as well.  Howard has had glaucoma for many years and he was always religious about administering the eye drops on schedule.  But it caught up to him anyway ...

Mura

Thank you!

My husband has that as well, along with other serious issues. 

He now has the XEN implant. 

It is working fairly well so far.  Diuretics have been effective for him as well 

Thank you for the nice information about ordering different dishes!

Edited by Wishing on a star

IME

They used to have the same menu on embarkation day  from cruise to cruise  but it seems to have changed & they now have random menus  from the rotation

the first night  we are usually tired so we just go to the GDR  & save our Specialty res for another night when we will enjoy it more

JMO

On 2/5/2020 at 11:14 AM, Wishing on a star said:

If we only have one reservation at each of these restaurants,  can we order extra appetizers, or even an entree, so that we can enjoy different things?   (No, we are def. NOT big eaters!  And I really really hate waste... But we are talking a short cruise on Oceania, right!)

You may order as much of anything you wish. Perhaps ask for 1/2 or smaller portions of each dish so you can sample more that way.

If you are in a PH you can also order ensuite an entire meal or just an appetizer or dessert.

Enjoy!

Even with the newly amended menus (since late 2017 or was it early 2018) there are still lots of choices in each category in the GDR.  What we oldtimers are complaining about is that many courses repeat more frequently than they used to.  But even with more frequent repetitions of available dishes the GDR is nothing like the static menus in the specialties.  And that's one reason why we -- going back to Renaissance days -- PREFERRED the GDR.  Ren often called us about our lack of using up our specialty reservations ... and I think back then it was one each in the two restaurants ... It's so long ago, of course, that this no longer matters.

Nowadays, especially on Marina or Riviera, Terrace is a definite competitor -- or should I say option?  Given the extra space on the "O" ships. there are very many choices there ... many of which are the same as you could get in the GDR ... and  then there are the fresh steaks, etc., available at the grill.

And of course, for suite passengers who can have the butler bring dinner from any restaurant you can dine in your bathrobe ...

Mura

I don’t understand the OP’s question. Do they believe that the first night GDR Menu on every ship on every cruise is exactly the same? How then could anyone possibly answer the question?

There appears to be a regular false concept that everything is always consistent. The only thing on Oceania that doesn’t change is the menu in Specialties, yet even they ( very) occasionally have nightly specials. Everything else varies day to day, and ship to ship.