Spirit Last Minute Changes

FredT

36 minutes ago, FredT said:

Yes they did.....  Pro rated the cruise downwards AND gave us $300.00 to defray the cost of having to pay for a hotel and food for the lost day.   I considered that to be very reasonable....  

.....I would think that the company would offer at LEAST the same compensation for lost days/ports, (if not more) Instead they offer LESS.     

I wouldn't disagree with your rationale, it's logical. Let me make a forecast.....the ship will not be ready to leave on the 14th, rather they will delay till the 15th. The Suez transition is key, and timebound, but there is flexibility with Haifa. The itinerary, if not read closely, suggests you are there 3 days....it is 49 hours, and they will end up knocking 20-24 hours off and make it look like you are there for 2 days.

That is my forecast bad news......forecast good news is they know their offer is not yet good enough and, at that stage, it will be increased to 33% discount and 33% future cruise. Honestly, I feel really sorry at your plight but the logistics are really out of NCLs control....the compensation is within their control, and they must up their game!

Good luck to all affected.

@FredT

You need to correct yourself!

It was never a 22 day cruise. Originally it was 21 days but was changed to 20 days with Turkey dropped. Now it's 17 days with 4 ports dropped.

We have decided to go ahead with the shortened cruise, however disappointed we are. We are already flying into Milan (rather than Rome which is far more expensive) and will be taking train to Florence for the 3 nights before continuing to Civitavecchia. We originally were going to Civita from Milan but decided to break up the journey in Florence. Thank goodness we bought the full train fare (1st class). Also the hotel in Civita is the refundable one, so we'll be able to change the date.

We're making lemonade out of lemons. Ship happens!

10 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

It was never a 22 day cruise. Originally it was 21 days but was changed to 20 days with Turkey dropped. Now it's 17 days with 4 ports dropped.

Or not.....    

The original cruise included port stops in Turkey, Athens, Rhodes, Limasoll. and Khasab....   To me thats 5 canceled ports out of 10.  Now as for the length of the cruise... I humbly agree with you.   "my bad" as our son would say.    

We are also going, and still looking forward to the trip with high hopes.  Good luck and safe travels over the next few days, see you on board!

43 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Wow, this was a long drydock so surprised not done.

Future cruise credit likely will go to 50%.  Past history they come out low then increase to look like a hero and stop people from making waves.

Agree, I forecasted 33% but past history as you say may prevail......the story will continue to evolve, and I'd be extremely surprised if the current revised itinerary is ultimately the actual one!

Best wishes to all involved, it truly is disappointing to say the least.

Just saw this on the NCL board regarding Asia:   Not sure the validity but NCL has taken all Spirit Asian (or anywhere for that matter) cruises off the site until July 2020.  The lady who posted this said it was updated today and she is in Greece her profile says.

All the 2020 Asia cruises of Norwegian Spirit are cancelled and the ship is redeployed to Eastern Mediterranean from 15/4 to 15/11 with weekly departures from Piraeus, Athens.

Info on the official cruise schedule of the port of Piraeus.

http://www.olp.gr/en/cruise-greece/cruise-programme

Edited by FLConnie

16 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

@FredT

We have decided to go ahead with the shortened cruise, however disappointed we are. We are already flying into Milan (rather than Rome which is far more expensive) and will be taking train to Florence for the 3 nights before continuing to Civitavecchia. We originally were going to Civita from Milan but decided to break up the journey in Florence. Thank goodness we bought the full train fare (1st class). Also the hotel in Civita is the refundable one, so we'll be able to change the date.

We're making lemonade out of lemons. Ship happens!

You don't have much luck with post-drydocks.

8 minutes ago, dexddd said:

You don't have much luck with post-drydocks.

Yep, I agree. 

But the Spirit's itinerary was too good to pass and we succumbed to booking it! 

Also, since we got quite ill toward the end of POA cruise and continued for a week post-cruise (I had to take the rest of week off work), we have gone to the doctor's today for the Pneumococcal vaccine.

Here is one of the reasons the dry dock wasn't done in time (the other was the French Labour strike):

https://crew-center.com/4000-workers-get-pneumococcal-vaccine-norwegian-spirit-dry-dock-marseilles

ugh! 

3 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Yep, I agree. 

But the Spirit's itinerary was too good to pass and we succumbed to booking it! 

Also, since we got quite ill toward the end of POA cruise and continued for a week post-cruise (I had to take the rest of week off work), we have gone to the doctor's today for the Pneumococcal vaccine.

Here is one of the reasons the dry dock wasn't done in time (the other was the French Labour strike):

https://crew-center.com/4000-workers-get-pneumococcal-vaccine-norwegian-spirit-dry-dock-marseilles

ugh! 

Have a great trip.  Spirit is one of my favorite ships in the fleet and the renovation should be outstanding.  Unfortunately she looks to be sailing far away and not likely we'll be on anytime soon.

@FLConnie

Thank you for the link. 

Looking at it http://www.olp.gr/en/cruise-greece/cruise-programme and then going to CRUISE_EXCEL_2020_6-02-2020_1.xls  you get an Excel file.

That file clearly shows that the Spirit is going to be in Piraeus on a regular weekly basis during the April-November period.

If that is true and I see no reason why it isn't NCL have an obligation to update us IMMEDIATELY.

7 hours ago, casofilia said:

@FLConnie

Thank you for the link. 

Looking at it http://www.olp.gr/en/cruise-greece/cruise-programme and then going to CRUISE_EXCEL_2020_6-02-2020_1.xls  you get an Excel file.

That file clearly shows that the Spirit is going to be in Piraeus on a regular weekly basis during the April-November period.

If that is true and I see no reason why it isn't NCL have an obligation to update us IMMEDIATELY.

Yet I can still see all the cruises for Asia later in the year. Perhaps NCL are hedging their bets and confirming nearer the time...

We are going in October and heard nothing yet

10 hours ago, casofilia said:

@FLConnie

Thank you for the link. 

Yes, that was posted yesterday on a couple of the rollcalls.....but there is a long chain of communication from the Board Room, where this decision would have been made, all the way down through senior to operational management before the TA's and passengers are advised!

This morning I also checked out the Athens port schedule, on Cruisemapper, and there is nothing showing for the Spirit apart from 13 February (the original schedule for the Rome to Dubai leg).....but that isn't surprising as it is far from being a live schedule. However, the Piraeus Port Authority website is the one that has the spreadsheet provided by someone from Greece yesterday and still shows clearly the Spirit sailing weekly from Athens including a shorter cruise on April 15. It also shows in the same red print as the earlier attachment, perhaps identifying it as a new addition (or pending)....I had originally thought the provider of the spreadsheet had highlighted these dates in red print 'for our convenience'....no pun intended!

I am no sleuth but, in the past 15 minutes, my thoughts that significant cruise schedule changes for the Spirit are about to be thrust on us by NCL have crystalised and I have moved into high alert mode for changing our current plans around the 24 night Cape Town to Singapore (now Athens) cruise departing 22 March!

We are already decided that, assuming the first 2 itineraries complete, we will continue with the cruise and fly to Cape Town. I already have the flight change plans on hold, and ready to go if (when) such news breaks officially. 

In this scenario, if it unfolds as suggested, I feel hugely sorry for those who were going all the way to Singapore or even Japan who will be looking at a reverse repeat trip back to the Med. Our situation pales into insignificance compared to such upset. It is outrageous that this may happen to them after travels to Rome, and then they face the hugely upsetting decision as to whether to abandon at that stage....and, of course, NCL may not even communicate any future changes before the Spirit sails from Rome!

23 hours ago, dexddd said:

Wow, this was a long drydock so surprised not done.

Future cruise credit likely will go to 50%.  Past history they come out low then increase to look like a hero and stop people from making waves.

It’s building work! When is it ever completed on time? I have every sympathy with those who have had their cruise truncated but the first cruise out of any dry dock is a risk!

11 hours ago, casofilia said:

@FLConnie

Thank you for the link. 

Are you on the sailing?  We are and we were on the Jade in November Rome to Dubai with you I believe.

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

Yes, that was posted yesterday on a couple of the rollcalls.....but there is a long chain of communication from the Board Room, where this decision would have been made, all the way down through senior to operational management before the TA's and passengers are advised!

This morning I also checked out the Athens port schedule, on Cruisemapper, and there is nothing showing for the Spirit apart from 13 February (the original schedule for the Rome to Dubai leg).....but that isn't surprising as it is far from being a live schedule. However, the Piraeus Port Authority website is the one that has the spreadsheet provided by someone from Greece yesterday and still shows clearly the Spirit sailing weekly from Athens including a shorter cruise on April 15. It also shows in the same red print as the earlier attachment, perhaps identifying it as a new addition (or pending)....I had originally thought the provider of the spreadsheet had highlighted these dates in red print 'for our convenience'....no pun intended!

I am no sleuth but, in the past 15 minutes, my thoughts that significant cruise schedule changes for the Spirit are about to be thrust on us by NCL have crystalised and I have moved into high alert mode for changing our current plans around the 24 night Cape Town to Singapore (now Athens) cruise departing 22 March!

Yes, it's become a 24/7 "job" trying to keep track of something out of our control, hasn't it?   I really hope they just offer a refund and be done with it.  We just were at three stops in Greece in November and have no desire whatsoever to return.  I wonder if regular travel insurance will cover that type of change or itenarary?  

1 hour ago, FLConnie said:

Yes, it's become a 24/7 "job" trying to keep track of something out of our control, hasn't it?   I really hope they just offer a refund and be done with it.  We just were at three stops in Greece in November and have no desire whatsoever to return.  I wonder if regular travel insurance will cover that type of change or itenarary?  

I think they will need to offer a refund option, with regard to insurance it's the small print that will answer the question!

I got this official notice this morning:

Due to growing concerns regarding Coronavirus in Asia, all Norwegian Spirit sailings from April 15, 2020 through December 7, 2020 operating in Asia have been canceled. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

Please be advised that a full refund will be processed automatically to the form of payment provided at the time of booking. As a goodwill gesture, we have arranged for a future cruise credit, worth 10% toward your future cruise, to be issued. This credit will be available within 7 days and can be applied towards any of our currently published sailings if you book a new cruise with Norwegian Cruise Line in the next 45 days. Furthermore, we will cover up to $300 per person for any airfare change fees. Please submit your receipts at www.ncl.com/case-submission.

Capture.JPG

56 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@FLConnie

Are you on the sailing?  We are and we were on the Jade in November Rome to Dubai with you I believe.

Yes we are Dubai-Cape Town-(Singapore); well till they do the change and we can work out where we are going and how for the latter leg

That should be interesting but would guess you will end up back in Greece around the 15th.  I wonder when they will let passengers know?

12 minutes ago, Cruiseandbooklover85 said:

Oh wow! My Spirit cruise embarks December 7th in Yokohama, Japan.  Now I'm wondering if I should just start planning for a Plan B.

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners:

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line, thank you very much for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice.

Due to growing concerns regarding Coronavirus in Asia, all Norwegian Spirit sailings from April 15, 2020 through December 7, 2020 operating in Asia have been canceled. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

Please be advised that a full refund will be processed automatically to the form of payment provided at the time of booking. As a goodwill gesture, we have arranged for a future cruise credit, worth 10% toward your future cruise, to be issued. This credit will be available within 7 days and can be applied towards any of our currently published sailings if you book a new cruise with Norwegian Cruise Line in the next 45 days. Furthermore, we will cover up to $300 per person for any airfare change fees. Please submit your receipts at www.ncl.com/case-submission.

When you are interested in choosing another sailing, please contact Norwegian Cruise Line at 1-866-234-7350 or your travel professional.

For any guests booked outside of the U.S. and Canada, please visit www.ncl.com for local contact information.

We greatly appreciate your understanding and thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line for your upcoming vacation at sea. We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Sincerely,

Katty Byrd
Vice President, Guest Services

Edited by mips
reading comprehension