How does Carnival assign Chef's Table dates?

Eli_6

I have done the Chefs Table several times and always end up with the most inconvenient days. E.g. Christmas Day, Steak Night, etc. Every time we have done it, the day has been assigned to us and we got a letter to our stateroom. Is there some heirarchy I am not aware of?  Or should I be going to guest services and requesting a time and the reason I'm not doing that is why I keep getting undesirable days?  Once or twice I emailed the maitre'd and it seems to be hit or miss whether that matters. 

For my upcoming Fjords Cruise, there are several days that I do not want to be booked for the chef's table because either we will still be in port at 6 p.m. or the sailing will be very scenic during that time.  (Sun doesn't set until about 11 p.m.) In one of the ports, we leave at 10 p.m. and at two others, 7 pm and 7:30 pm and in almost all of them the "sail out" is very scenic.

Even though it is often the highlight of my cruise, I am debating whether to even schedule it at all simply because I don't want to be charged the $25 per person cancel fee if I end up being scheduled on one of the days I don't want to be eating at 6 pm...which is pretty much 5 of the 9 nights.

1 hour ago, SERK said:

We usually gamble and wait til we board ship and hope there are still openings.  Then we pick which day we want.  

1 hour ago, SERK said:

We usually gamble and wait til we board ship and hope there are still openings.  Then we pick which day we want.  

How are you able to pick the day?  Do you visit guest services? Or the maitre'd?

53 minutes ago, coevan said:

Eli 6, you just have to decide if you want the Chef's Table or not, make it your priority. I have never seen it scheduled on Elegant night if that helps

I have gone to the Chef's Table on elegant night before on the Vista. I am not a big meat eater so it doesn't bother me missing lobster and steak. I would be fine missing elegant night. I just don't want to miss a port. 

I looked it up and it looks like only way I get charged the $25 per person is if I cancel within 24 hours. So I think I am just going to book and will cancel if they schedule me on the same day as Geiranger Fjord or one of those late departure ports.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

Well, it depends on how many chef's tables they are holding, and then its probably random.

Interesting. I honestly thought they had onr every night except for maybe the first one. 

39 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

How are you able to pick the day?  Do you visit guest services? Or the maitre'd?

Both times on the Dream, we boarded and went up to Lido deck and just before you enter the outside area they were standing there taking reservations for both Steakhouse and Chef's Table.  They asked us which night we wanted since it was just two of us.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, meanjean80 said:

The number of chef's tables they have depends on the number of people who book one in advance, I think.  Definitely not every night; most cruises I've been on have only had two.

Interesting. I did not realize this.  I always assumed I was just low on the Carnival totem poll.  

• 3 weeks later...

I completely understand your concern here and I am wrestling with it myself. I want to do it BUT not on a MDR formal night and not on the night I already have several people booked with me in the Steak House and to be honest if it's starting at 6:30 I'm concerned about one particular port day I have an excursion booked on unless they want me there in swim trunks covered with sand, lol... and yeah, I know it's starting to sound like I don't have much time available to do it in-LOL and that's because I don't which is what I'm worried about. I'm riding the fence on just skipping it and booking but cancelling when I get on board if the timing doesn't work. I hate to cancel but I'm starting to see that as just what I'll have to plan on doing just in case. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jasonsterling said:

starting at 6:30 I'm concerned about one particular port day I have an excursion booked on unless they want me there in swim trunks covered with sand,

The crew is well aware of late port days and doubt they would schedule when guests were still ashore. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, coevan said:

The crew is well aware of late port days and doubt they would schedule when guests were still ashore.

Good point.  That was my concern as well because on 3 of the 8 nights, we are in port until 7:30 or later so they will probably just not schedule it one of those days as it will be a cruise-wide issue for everyone.  

On 2/22/2020 at 6:09 PM, coevan said:

I don't really know how they do it which, of course, is the point of the post. Honduras is the latest port and I only have a concern because I feel like this is a special sort of event and I would like to take the time to look nice for it and for the other passengers attending so it's not really a question of holding the dinner while guests are in port but more having the time to shower and get ready before hand once we leave port. That said I was trying to make a bit of levity with the situation with a brief joke. I did in fact book the dinner and I'm looking forward to it.  

We've done Chef's Table twice. Both times we made reservations on line, but once on board we went to the Steakhouse and asked what night we were scheduled. Last December on the Sunshine Journey's cruise there were six planned. We were happy with our night, but were told we could ask to be changed. Just didn't need to do that. Chef's Table was amazing even though we had the same menu both times, the presentation was so different we were surprised. Lots of flowing wine on both.

• Like 1