Teppanyaki seating question - NCL Pearl

Hi all! Newbie to NCL here.  Cruising in June on the Pearl.

We have the specialty dining perk and want to dine at Teppanyaki one night.  Just based on some photos I have seen, it looks like (at least to me) that on the Pearl there are about 4 tables of 8 in Teppanyaki.  Is this right from your guys' past experience?  My question is for each time slot listed in the reservation section, is there only one table that will be seated?  I figure that since part of the experience is the 'show' of the chefs cooking in front of you and singing as they go, etc., that there might only be one 'active' chef at a time putting on a show (I could be totally wrong thought, so please let me know if that's your experience). 

If we are a group of 6 (3 rooms of 2), and each room booked a reservation for 6pm, will we automatically be seated at the same table since there is only one table being seated at that time? or should we head to the restaurant upon boarding so they can make a special note to seat us together?  We would have had just one of our rooms book all 6 of us, but at least when i went to book this morning, there were only 2 or 4 people options.

Thanks in advance for any info you have!

Keep in mind that only a certain percentage of dinner reservations can be made before the cruise.  In the Atrium of The Pearl (midship Deck 7) is the Restaurant Reservation Desk.  You can book there and I would as soon as possible upon boarding.

Enjoy The Pearl, she is a wonderful ship with a great staff.

Mandy

i've never been on the pearl, but from other NCL ships, there is always multiple table shows happening at the same time. You might sit down at 6:30, but from the time you order food, drinks, they prepare the food that the chef is bringing to the grill table, etc, you may hear one or two other tables shows in the making. Like what www3traveler said, they only reserve a portion of reservations for online bookings. The restaurant will fill up even though online it looks like it won't by online standards.

When you show up at the restaurant for your reservation, they will know that you have a res for 6 people. What they don't know is that it could be one cabin, 3 cabins, or possibly 6 different ones. So from experience, i wouldn't check in with the host until all 6 people are there in front of the restaurant ready to be sat down.

40 minutes ago, alaskaherewecome20151 said:

If we are a group of 6 (3 rooms of 2), and each room booked a reservation for 6pm, will we automatically be seated at the same table since there is only one table being seated at that time? or should we head to the restaurant upon boarding so they can make a special note to seat us together? 

As others have noted, there may be multiple tables going at once. Since your group has made 3 separate reservations, the way to guarantee that you will be seated together is, as you asked, to go to the restaurant (or call) and have your reservations linked together. It may require all six diners to be listed on one single reservation (that was the case for us on the Gem a few weeks ago). No worries about that. 

Also, pre-cruise, you could call the specialty dining line for NCL and see if they can take care of this now.  (Call 866-625-1167, press 1)

We love Teppanyaki.  Enjoy! 

Edited by Turtles06

thanks so much for all the helpful info! 

i think i may have been confusing in my original post, but i think as turtles06 figured out, we already made the 3 separate reservations for 2 ppl each at 6pm.  There were no options for 6 people (for any day/any time) when reservations opened up this morning, otherwise we would have just booked all 6 of us under one reservation.

Anyway, thank again for the help 🙂 , will call the specialty dining line this weekend to request that we're all at the same table.  Looking forward to the Pearl!

1 hour ago, alaskaherewecome20151 said:

thanks so much for all the helpful info! 

i think i may have been confusing in my original post, but i think as turtles06 figured out, we already made the 3 separate reservations for 2 ppl each at 6pm.  There were no options for 6 people (for any day/any time) when reservations opened up this morning, otherwise we would have just booked all 6 of us under one reservation.

Anyway, thank again for the help 🙂 , will call the specialty dining line this weekend to request that we're all at the same table.  Looking forward to the Pearl!

We did Teppanyaki on the Pearl. There were multiple tables but not as many as the larger ships (we did it on the Getaway and Star as well). Our table was the only one at that specific time...I think the tables were staggered by 30 mins. Even on the Getaway the tables had staggered start times. 

2 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

We did Teppanyaki on the Pearl. There were multiple tables but not as many as the larger ships (we did it on the Getaway and Star as well). Our table was the only one at that specific time...I think the tables were staggered by 30 mins. Even on the Getaway the tables had staggered start times. 

We were just on the Gem.  Same (smaller) size as the Pearl.  We ate at Teppanyaki twice.  The first time, at least two of the tables started at the same time.  (And that's been the case on prior cruises on the Jewel class ships.)  A friend made reservations for one of the nights on which my wife and I had a reservation. They said the only way to be sure we'd all be seated at the same table was for her reservation to be added to ours.  Easy peasy, as the OP has been advised above.  And that's what they need to do be sure all 6 of them are seated together.  

I've done Teppanyaki several times and always enjoyed it.  All tables are seated with 4 "shows" going on at the same time.  One time the chef at our table was terrible, many mistakes while the other 3 were terrific.  It was actually entertaining he was so bad, but did feel sorry for him with others being so adept at what they were doing.  We found out that he was a new replacement and we all ensured we provided extra generous tips to at least provide him some encouragement.  Still, a wonderful time!

• Like 1