Question about Drop in Cruise Fare and taxes

Hi,

I booked a cruise quite some time ago. The price of my cruise fare and taxes went down. With the WOW sale I was able to get the price adjustment on the cruise fare only but not the taxes.   Has this happened to anyone else, if so does anyone have an explanation on this? I really do not understand why I would not get the adjust on the taxes as well.  

Thank you

ML

What you are calling taxes are port fees and associated taxes that they have to pay for docking at the ports along the way.  They are not based on what you paid for the trip.   If they happen to go up RCI will not ask for additional monies.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mary Louise said:

Hi,

I booked a cruise quite some time ago. The price of my cruise fare and taxes went down. With the WOW sale I was able to get the price adjustment on the cruise fare only but not the taxes.   Has this happened to anyone else, if so does anyone have an explanation on this? I really do not understand why I would not get the adjust on the taxes as well.  

Thank you

ML

If you have a refundable booking tell them that unless they adjust them you will just cancel and rebook. 

If you have a non refundable deposit you are stuck. They won't adjust them. 

• Like 1

I just had this happen to me on Thursday.   Price of our cruise went down $800.   We had a nonrefundable deposit but it was before final payment.

TA called and the price was lowered but for some reason the taxes and fees went up $80 (for 3 of us.)

TA called back and they lowered them back to what they were supposed to be.

For our cruises, this is usually a good thing. We book early and the taxes and fees seem to typically only go up.  So even on a price drop, you get to keep the original taxes and fees.  (Makes price checking a pain though as you need to put in your current taxes and fees value to compare in the calculation)

Once we had a case where they went down.  Luckily we had a refundable booking, so we just cancelled and rebooked...and got the lower taxes and fees. Only works though if you have refundable. 

It is just so inconsistent. My TA called and because I booked a non refundable fare, and the taxes at that time when I booked were higher than what the taxes are now, they would not lower them. I thought the taxes would be the same for the sailing for all passengers.

I did get a cruise fare reduction, so all is not lost. Hopefully they will credit when I am on the ship. if not, I am ok with it.